Entertaining yourself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedokes

Reaction score
What kinds of things do you like to do when you are lonely or by yourself, to entertain yourself/make yourself feel better?

Okiedokes said:
What kinds of things do you like to do when you are lonely or by yourself, to entertain yourself/make yourself feel better?

I'm very rarely by myself because my Dad is usually in.

But If I'm feeling down (like now !) I sometimes go out and buy something to cheer myself up. Playing golf always cheers me up as well !

its not hard to keep me entertained to be honest.

i'll play video games, or sit down and write some music, or read, or go out and shoot baskets (basketball), listen to music... just really depends on the mood i am in.

I read, watch TV, go to look around the shops and library and come online.

putter65 said:
I'm very rarely by myself because my Dad is usually in.
But If I'm feeling down (like now !) I sometimes go out and buy something to cheer myself up. Playing golf always cheers me up as well !

That used to get me down, living with my parents, I love having my own space and doing what I want to do.

I've also taken up birdwatching over the last year or so. Love going for walks with some binoculars and trying to spot a type of bird I've not seen before. I don't have to see a soul, just to be at one with nature.

Okiedokes said:

Apart from the obvious (ahem) I like physical activities if I’m feeling down since some simple exercise can do wonders for releasing feel-good endorphins. If the weather is nice I’ll go running or walking, if not I’ll keep indoors to practice Kendo or lift weights just to do something active and keep things moving. I’ve even been known to pump up the volume and rock out to some embarrassing music from time to time.

I’ll also read and write, as stupid as this sounds I’ll write reviews for books I’ve read, movies I’ve seen or pages of thoughts that will never get shared, I just love to write and see how words and poetry can conjure up emotions. I like photographs too, landscapes mostly, and I’m forever experimenting with new recipes and meal ideas.

Another thing I do to feel good is to go out and perform at least one good deed to a total stranger. It could be something as simple as holding open a door for someone struggling, donating to a charity or buying a meal for a homeless person, I just hope that by doing something good I could inspire others to do the same and make this world a friendlier place.

I’d better stop, this is starting to sound like a lonely hearts advert, but they’re all activities that I can do by myself and serve as a good distraction for not having anyone else around.

I like to make crafts... things that involve crocheting, woodworking, sewing, drawing, and recently painting although I'm still learning how. Also like to be outside and do some gardening when I can. I agree... helping another person out even in a small way can make me feel better. The stuff I make is usually for other people.

Computing *pestering folks!* Hee Hee!
Rock band
TV, Movies (have hundreds of them)
painting
reading
texting
cooking
And most fun, masterumm u know wotty!
that's about it as for when I am at home/bored..

but if I get really bored/lonely I get in my car and off I go... I always find SOME constructive thing to get in trouble about.

I check ALL. Usually see nothing interesting to reply to but sometimes I do. Then I check youtube/facebook. Then I check reddit. Once I've exhausted reddit I start the cycle over.

kamya said:
I check ALL. Usually see nothing interesting to reply to but sometimes I do. Then I check youtube/facebook. Then I check reddit. Once I've exhausted reddit I start the cycle over.

Wow, didn't know anyone here did reddit! how ya like those random acts of pizza! haha good fun!

I enjoy getting into a great book and tuning the world out. This is pure bliss to me. Even better during the summer when I can sit on my dock, read, and slip into the lake for the occasional swim.:cool:

Video games, House, Monk, this forum, researching random countries and topics, thinking about what I would do if I were President of the United States, debate with myself problems relating to the economy, Middle East, wars, immigration, social security, healthcare, Homeland Security, etc.

Okiedokes said:

What usually works the best for me, especially when I am depressed, is to get back in touch with the things I used to do when I was a kid. Old-old videogames, comic books, bubble bath, etc.

Lonely in BC said:
I enjoy getting into a great book and tuning the world out. This is pure bliss to me. Even better during the summer when I can sit on my dock, read, and slip into the lake for the occasional swim.:cool:

A good book is great yeah, when ur in the mood thou! Sounds like u live in a nice place.:)

DVDs. My brain likes to remember quotes for some reason and I love cinema, so I have quite an extensive DVD collection! Mostly eBayed together on the cheap :D

Watched Heat the other day (got it for Christmas), fantastic film in my opinion. Love the way the characters, both good and bad, all have a deeper aspect to their lives. Such a simple but high impact ending too, who knew holding hands could be such a strangely poignant final gesture? :p

*Ahem* Enough on films from me!

Also, I play videogames a fair amount of the time.

From the last year onwards I've really started to get into exercise too, I now solve lapses in excitement or onsets of loneliness by doing pressups, situps and occasionally cycling on an exerbike (got to get back into that actually, I shall start again tomorrow).

So far my general routine is "Nothing's happening, this is boring, I feel lonely" --> 70 pressups. Then another 70 if I feel like it (usually do, heh :D)

That way I'm actually using crap feelings and pointless time to improve my body in a way that will hopefully provide insurance against being lonely in the future. That's how I see it, anyway.

Latest posts

Back