Everybody relax. I'm here.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkstowalls

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a 19yr old male in Houston. While I have mostly overcome my fear of shyness I am still unable to develop any sort of relationships that I feel have any substance. I was largely a loner through high school your cliche geek/nerd and obese. About 3 years ago I begun to rigorously exercise and diet and have since lost 80lbs. After doing this my shyness greatly diminished however my social skills were still awful. I feel they have gotten a bit better since then but still have no friends. I now think what keeps me from making friends is often my intelligence, weird thoughts, and interests. I feel like alot of my peers are walking cranial vacuums, void of any critical thought, just waiting to suck up the next bandwagon trends. I am a self taught musician and can play several instruments, but in the recent years my focus has been on producing/audio programming. I like to read, specifically alot of psychology and philosophy, and play games. I feel largely my life has been me embracing forms of escapism. I long to stop trying to mentally escape mine but rather change and embrace it.

"audio programming" encompasses a few things, but mainly programming in a digital workstation (composing melodies and rhythms, and arranging instruments/sounds together) and audio synthesis/mixing (creating sounds from synthesizers and molding the tones of sounds to get them to fit together or sound a certain way). It's not like programming in the usually sense with lines of code, it is largely graphic interface based.

Hey talkstowalls and welcome to the board. You sound interesting. I look forward to reading your posts here.

Talkstowalls, like the username :D Congrats to you for taking control of your life at your age, and for losing 80lbs! You're still in that circle where people follow trends and the latest thing, you're only 19. That vacuum might last a few more years, sorry to say. Have you ever thought of joining a club or something? One with people who have similar interests. It can take awhile to develop social skills, especially if you didn't have any prior. Seems like you are on the right track though, keep it up.

Welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Back