facebook hate!!!!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hazelblue said:
Facebook. A more wretched hive of fakeness and crapworthiness.

It's turned friendship into nothing more than a series of stupid wall postings and needless updates.
I had a friendship of almost 14 years turned into that kind of crap.
A lot of the people on Facebook don't really know what friendship is, and are so attention-starved, they'll post anything for attention.
They want to be their own little celebrity.
I'm glad I'm no longer on there and would happily warn people the drawbacks of not only Facebook, but other supposed 'social' media.

HA! "dier own little celebrity" u nailed it!

I think that most people use facebook as a way to glamorize themselves.
Maybe I'm being a cynical little ***** but I just think that they're trying too hard to make their lives extraordinary when half of what they post, REEKS with falsehood.

Similarly, most profile pictures have been photo-shopped. Okay, you want to look good. Sure, everyone wants to be the best person that they can possibly be... but for what other reason would they put up these pictures for public viewing if not for attention? Yeah... maybe a mutual friend or a friend would get attracted to one photo of you.. then what? Do they really know you? Bahaha.. then again, I wouldn't be interested in an attention seeker who has to resort to such pathetic means, by dramatizing his\her daily happenings as status updates.

You know what makes me pissed? People who post honeysuckle like how they want everyone to leave them the fresia alone because they're hurting and no one could understand their pains etc etc. (wow... if that were true, why would you even log into facebook...) The other thing is making a big deal out of your grandma's death. Uhm.. you hardly even see her or even talk to her, you don't KNOW her.. yet you're using her death to your own benefit as a cry for attention because you're OH SO hurt?

this is a bit off topic and I know I am uniquely cold-hearted like this.

But I lived with three of my grandparents. Knew them very well, spent time with them every day. Fed them, bathe them etc.

And when they died.. I was never hurt (one is still alive but just got a stroke). But I know people react very differently as other family members cried and were very hurt.

But somehow to me it was only natural that they died. I didnt even feel to cry or anything. They were so old, and I think they were happy to die.

Guess I'm a weirdo though.

apathy said:
I think that most people use facebook as a way to glamorize themselves.
Maybe I'm being a cynical little ***** but I just think that they're trying too hard to make their lives extraordinary when half of what they post, REEKS with falsehood.

Similarly, most profile pictures have been photo-shopped. Okay, you want to look good. Sure, everyone wants to be the best person that they can possibly be... but for what other reason would they put up these pictures for public viewing if not for attention? Yeah... maybe a mutual friend or a friend would get attracted to one photo of you.. then what? Do they really know you? Bahaha.. then again, I wouldn't be interested in an attention seeker who has to resort to such pathetic means, by dramatizing his\her daily happenings as status updates.

You know what makes me pissed? People who post honeysuckle like how they want everyone to leave them the fresia alone because they're hurting and no one could understand their pains etc etc. (wow... if that were true, why would you even log into facebook...) The other thing is making a big deal out of your grandma's death. Uhm.. you hardly even see her or even talk to her, you don't KNOW her.. yet you're using her death to your own benefit as a cry for attention because you're OH SO hurt?

jales said:
this is a bit off topic and I know I am uniquely cold-hearted like this.

But I lived with three of my grandparents. Knew them very well, spent time with them every day. Fed them, bathe them etc.

And when they died.. I was never hurt (one is still alive but just got a stroke). But I know people react very differently as other family members cried and were very hurt.

But somehow to me it was only natural that they died. I didnt even feel to cry or anything. They were so old, and I think they were happy to die.

Guess I'm a weirdo though.

You're not weird.
As long as they lived a good long life, is what matters. We all can't have physical bodies forever.

Regarding Facebook:
For me, it's reeks of cliqueyness. If you don't have friends in real life, you're left out in the cold.
My situation is also unique. Out of choice, I've kept no contact with anyone from high school (and I couldn't care less if they're close friends with each other or not).
I'm also an orphan, therefore I don't have a family to keep in touch with.

Sometimes it's just best to worry about your own life, and ignore what goes on in everyone else's. There's a lot more going on to other people than what you can see...

munia said:
I hate facebook! its such a thing that makes me feel like a big loser. im reminded of my mistakes and how much my friends and mates have moved on and left me 8 yrs! behind.

all i see are people posting pictures and comments to brag and show off hw great dier lives are, making me feel hopeless and jealousy.
wats dis craze 4 facebook anyway? its annoying hw evryday i here d questn "r u on facebook"? makes me wana cry.
does anybodyelse feel dis way? tell us about it.

I just deleted my Facebook page 2 weeks ago!!! Going on Facebook made me feel worse!!! It is the best thing I have done in years.! There is nothing worse than being strung along by people claiming to be your 'friend' that show you with their actions that they are not. :(

I have a Facebook. I only use it to talk to family who lives across the country.

I kinda want to get rid of it. The "notifications" thing is so discouraging. It's a major waste of time. You're better off not having one. :)

Okay, I truly don't get the Facebook hate here. Are you all sure you're just not jealous because you're comparing yourself to others and finding yourselves coming up short? I seriously don't have the impression that the people on my Facebook are trying to be cliquey or trying to be their own celebrity or anything like that. I don't have the impression that they are bragging or showing off or any of the other things that any of you are claiming. Maybe I just have exceptionally humble people on my Facebook, but I've never heard any of my other friends mention that they felt that way about their friends either. I may have to ask around among my Facebook friends to see if they ever feel that way, but just going on my own experiences of Facebook...no. I don't see it.

@Stephanie its hard not to compare you're self to others when you don't have a life to talk about. To name an example, "i was over at Sarah's home with a friend, it was great" and you think for your self "well here i am in front of my computer feeling really miserable about my self". Before as i mentioned in a earlier post you were "happily unaware" of what you were missing out on, you didn't had to be reminded about it.

Even thought its really stupid now in hindsight since most people don't probably mean to brag anyway i must admit. But i just could not escape that feeling that here i am a nobody in life reading about how fun other people said their activities of the day were, or things they have accomplished.

It was really hard in the beginning not to feeling hurt by all updates and reminders that others posted concerning their life even though people didn't mean to brag. But with that said i still consider that some people tend to brag about their life on facebook to make them seam more important than they are. The best you could do in the end is as i mentioned in my earlier post is to try to ignore it.

Nightwatcher said:
@Stephanie its hard not to compare you're self to others when you don't have a life to talk about. To name an example, "i was over at Sarah's home with a friend, it was great" and you think for your self "well here i am in front of my computer feeling really miserable about my self". Before as i mentioned in a earlier post you were "happily unaware" of what you were missing out on, you didn't had to be reminded about it.

Even thought its really stupid now in hindsight since most people don't probably mean to brag anyway i must admit. But i just could not escape that feeling that here i am a nobody in life reading about how fun other people said their activities of the day were, or things they have accomplished.

It was really hard in the beginning not to feeling hurt by all updates and reminders that others posted concerning their life even though people didn't mean to brag. But with that said i still consider that some people tend to brag about their life on facebook to make them seam more important than they are. The best you could do in the end is as i mentioned in my earlier post is to try to ignore it.

U completely right nightwatcher. cldnt av said it better.

Maybe try a different approach then? Instead of feeling jealous and resentful because other people seem to be doing more, having more fun or whatever, why don't you just try being happy for them? Be glad for their sake that they have those things even if that's what you want for yourself. If you can feel happy for them, it makes you feel better because you're not fostering bitterness, which only poisons you. Being envious is like taking poison and expecting it to kill the other person.

I won't deny there are people out there that do try to make themselves out to be more important than they are. They post vague Facebook statuses hinting at their drama without coming right out and saying what's going on. They're the ones that I roll my eyes at and ignore. But the rest? Nah. Next time you read a status that reeks of VagueBook bullshit, reply "Cool story, bro." Funny as hell!

Stephanie said:
Maybe try a different approach then? Instead of feeling jealous and resentful because other people seem to be doing more, having more fun or whatever, why don't you just try being happy for them? Be glad for their sake that they have those things even if that's what you want for yourself. If you can feel happy for them, it makes you feel better because you're not fostering bitterness, which only poisons you. Being envious is like taking poison and expecting it to kill the other person.

I won't deny there are people out there that do try to make themselves out to be more important than they are. They post vague Facebook statuses hinting at their drama without coming right out and saying what's going on. They're the ones that I roll my eyes at and ignore. But the rest? Nah. Next time you read a status that reeks of VagueBook bullshit, reply "Cool story, bro." Funny as hell!
couldn't agree more. that's exactly what i used to think of facebook, but unfortunately that's not the reason why i erased my page. the facebook's real problem and reason to hate is its privacy and security, i got hacked 3 or more times and i even had stalkers i couldn't get rid of....

I hate facebook too sometimes as it seems everyone has close friends apart from me and more friends than me!
i also get sad when nobody comments on my stauses :(

charlyn said:
I hate facebook too sometimes as it seems everyone has close friends apart from me and more friends than me!
i also get sad when nobody comments on my stauses :(
Facebook friends are not close friends. To me, they're not much friends at all. I consider us here to be better friends, as we actually hold conversations with each other.

jimmymckooel said:
I've turned off my facebook but I know what you mean, but people only show what they want you to see on facebook. They should call it fakebook.

I dont have facebook but I've been told thats where a lot of people display thier "dirty laundry" and people who see it get pissed @ the posters and that just creates grief.

RedstoneOf1976 said:
I dont have facebook but I've been told thats where a lot of people display thier "dirty laundry" and people who see it get pissed @ the posters and that just creates grief.

Not everyone does that. There are literally millions of users on Facebook. With that many people, "a lot" can be considered a relative term. Don't let that stop you from creating an account and connecting with others if you want to. Facebook can be fun.

If your moaning about facebook dont go on it, I went on it once and found it was full of people posting pictures of themselves doing stupids poses. Facebook = ego.

Whats the big deal...its just another on line interaction site. Its not the site. Its how u use it.
I dont spend too much time on there...just family N freinds that might need to get a hold of
me or people Ive known looking for me. For the most part for my daugthers to get a hold of me.
I leave my account open...better than back in the days..trying to find people then send letters.

Yeah once in a while I might write stuff on my wall..but not like most women posting everyday
about whatever..but they're my freinds just sharing thier lives with me. Its all good.

I rather come here and hang out or talk about certain things in my life. I have annoynimity here.

Heck my HSGF/Fiancee just looked me up...I'm stoke that I can make connection with her again.
OMG...she's as beautiful as ever ( i hope shes single :p)
Its like a total bombshell and lots of messed up family issues I need to come to terms with.
Some of the reasons why I'm kind of messed up and go through what I go through.
honeysuckle that I carry around in the back of my mind for the past 20 yrs of my life.
She was a very big part of life. Lots of personal stuff that she and I need to come to peace with.
Well...our daughter thats was given up for adoption. Yeah a picture of our daughter posted on her wall,
for me. But your not going to see me writing about it on my wall on facebook...
Yeah maybe our duaghter is seaching for her biological parents...so that she can have closure or peace in her life.
Maybe we all can meet and reconnect. If my duaghter wishes to do that...then its a bridge she can use to communicate
with me in private chat or pm

Im also barely starting to make connection with my other biological daughter Jordan.
It also how I'm able to reconnect with my 2 step daughters Tiff N Kelsie.

Facebook had been good for me.

I'm very new to Farcebook.
Farcebook is as boring as dirt.
Post about a ballgame.
Post where someone brags about their new love (hoping their X will read it)
Post that just says LOL.
I even read a post the other day about picking weeds in the yard.
Dull
Duller
Dullest

I agree and disagree with the facebook hate emphasized in this thread. It makes me depressed and increases my feelings of loneliness when I do see people posting photos of themselves going to parties and going on holidays with friends. It also makes me quite angry as well when people post useless statuses such as "at sainsbury's" as if they were a celebrity with a group of followers. Makes me even more angrier when I see people "liking" and commenting on these kinds of statuses.

However, I do acknowledge it's not facebook - as a website or service - that I hate. It's how people use it. In fact, without facebook or twitter - the large scale revolutions that we've seen in Tunisia and now Egypt would have never been able to occur. Social networking is a good thing for society on the whole, it allows us to connect with each other in ways which were never possible before. I would have never been able to find and communicate with childhood friends again from my home country that I've long lost contact with after I moved to the UK.

True...it does make me feel quite miserable and jealous knowing that other people are happy while I struggle with depression and loneliness, but it isn't the fault of facebook, it probably has more to do with me than anything else.

Yes, some people do openly flaunt their happiness but why shouldn't they. They aren't actively trying to make me feel worthless and miserable. The solution for me is to just go on facebook less and don't look on other people's walls cos it's just going to make me feel bad.

Hey folks,
Would this be a bad time to disclose that I like facebook? :)
True, there's a lot of shallowness there but I've de-friended my shallow "friends". I've reconnected with friends that I haven't seen in more than a decade; I'm not sure how I would have done that without facebook. Today I posted a tribute to a friend who died tragically and some musings about Egypt.
So if you're on facebook and looking for a friend, send me a PM and we can friend each other, k? :)
Teresa

Latest posts

Back