Guy Fashion...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

Reaction score
So a thought just occurred to me that...maybe...I don't dress well.

I have a question for the ladies here. All of them, for different perspective. What looks tacky or unappealing on a guy? Is the way I dress possibly one of the big turn-offs women find in me? I don't wear skater shoes or skinny jeans or logo shirts or retar--sorry, developmentally disabled-- hats.

I typically just throw on a pair of jeans which may or may not have such features as moderate-to-heavy fading, tight to slightly loose, and/or moderate tearing/fraying at the bottom because contrary to the trends of popular culture, I think it's pretty cool to do real work from time to time, and the woods aren't exactly easy on jeans.

I do have a pair of cargo slacks I wear.

For shirts, almost all of my stuff is solid color or two-tone. Several are shirts with my fire dept. logo which kinda stands out compared to most, and the only jacket I have besides a blue hoodie is a fire dept. windbreaker; dark blue with my name on one breast and reflective striping across the mid section/arms, and dept. name on the back.

For shoes I typically wear my fire/logging boots because they're pretty **** comfortable compared to anything else, and to me it's kinda like showing off the fact that I'm a working man, which is as close to a fashion statement as I will ever bring myself...and truth be told, I kinda like the emphasized 'stomp' that comes with them in comparison to girly-man soft-sole shoes :p (see this picture, here, though mine aren't nearly that new anymore, lol). Other times I have a pair of regular cross-trainer type shoes I wear but they're nothing fancy.

I frequently have a hat on unless my hair is cut. Also, my shirt is ALWAYS tucked in and my pants belted. Always, no exceptions, ever.

Is this sort of attire unappealing somehow? Am I dressing poorly without realizing it? Should I expand my wardrobe? I can provide some pictures, if that'd help with some suggestions. Really hoping for some female input, here. Be brutal, I'm out of ideas.

Honestly? Lose the hat. You can wear it outside to keep the sun off your face/head, but once inside, GET RID OF IT.

Cargo slacks? I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're older than college, you really should buy some more, um, grown up looking pants. Jeans are generally always fine unless you're at a function/wedding/funeral.

I don't really think how you dress sounds bad, except for the hat. But I'll probably need pictures to make a better educated pronouncement.

What kind of hat?

I personally don't like tucked-in t-shirts and belts with jeans. I like my casual to be more casual.

Your look seems true to yourself and I like that.

youre a man, dont ruin it! wear whatever you want, you can get away with it.

Ruin what? If he asks for fashion advice, does he automatically get kicked out of the Manly Man Club or something?

I'm a man, I have no idea what to wear.

The only thing I've EVER looked decent in was some khaki shorts, sandals (or preferably barefoot), and a lightweight tee of some sort. That's my summer look. For winter it's just jeans, a shirt of some variety, and a nice pair of boots.

I've asked a few women to help me find a good look, but none of them seem to care enough to help out....lol I think we need a MEN'S MAKEOVER thread, wherein men post photos of themselves and then (only) women comment and give advice on appearance. That'd be rad.

I'm a man...I wear whatever I want to wear. Whatever I think looks good me.
Most of the time I wear jean and t-honeysuckle. I dress like a typical lead guitarist. Alternative metal.lol
Alot of people say I look good and healthy. My T-shits hugs my body and I'm in great shape.
Some jeans hugs my ass, others don't. There's alot of ass women out there..lmao
As a matter of fact, I'm wearing a brand new pair of designer fadded jeans with fucken holes and stitches on them.lol
I have shirts with collars and buttons up the gallor too. It just depends what I'm in the mood to wear for the day.
I have skate boarder shoes up the gallore..Vans, convers. i also have a pair of black ass kicking boots.
I did a bit of skateboarding as a teenager.
As far as jackets...I like the ones that looks like flight or fighter pilot jackets or whatever looks good on me.
I actaully have crap loads of clothe and shoes....Oh my gollie.lmao i probably have over 25 pairs of shoes.
Some of my friends tease me...A fucken brand new pair of fucken shoes everyday...mikie???lmao
I have around 50 t-shirts with various logo, dragons, skulls. flames or whatver the heck designs...some just plain without logos or designs.
I like the way I dress. I feel good about myself. I look younger than my age. I'm getting up there though.
Not ready to march to the fucken elephant grave yard yet.lol

I kind of had to up date my clothe. Kind of like a little make over...But honeysuckle, I actaully dress like I'm HS or kid,now. hahahaaaaa

If the 80's makes a comeback...I'll freaken grow my hair down to my ass again.lol
I'm actaully letting my hair grow. It's getting wavey..but I keep it trimmed to make it look messy good.:p

I dress apropricate for whatever. I don't own a suit at the moment. Havn't been invited to a tea party lately:p
But have plenty of dress up clothing.

I have to get kind of dress up when I used to work in an office as a manager....I felt fucken retarded half of the time
getting all dress up with neck ties and stuff. I had to sit on my ass all day becuase I couldn't dirty.lmao
That's what fucken assistance and secutaries are made for. :p
What i didn't like the most about that was...my hair was shorter than usually how i like to wear it...but i kind of got used to that.
I'm ex-military...Chelle thought i looked smexy in my uniform.lol She thinks i look better with nothing on :p

I also attract women in thier 30's or older (my age group) who dress like they're in thier teens or early 20's
while in their cassual wear but can dress up and look very fancy and professional if they want.

It's not so much in what they wear...it's thier attitude or spirit.

Well, Brian... Sounds sexy, if you ask me. I personally love guys who wear work clothes. I see nothing wrong with it. Maybe that's why I'd like a military man, but, maybe I'm just weird. And there's nothing wrong with cargo pants, especially since they're probably work pants. Even if they weren't, there's nothing wrong with guys wearing cargo pants.

I also am more of a casual girl, and really have no use for the metrosexual trend forcing men to spend more time and money on clothes and preening than the average woman. Obviously for special occasions, dressing to the nines is awesome, but that is the only time I would put in an extended amount of effort, so it would be ridiculous of me to request a guy to do otherwise.

I am a huge fan of jeans and a nice shirt: rugby shirt, polo short, t-shirt, t-shirt + flannel button down shirt etc. Besides, 5 months of the year here people are covered up in a sweatshirt or a sweater and a parka. Anyway, I think that work clothes can be downright sexy. Hell yeah, as long as it's clean and a flattering fit, then I'm good. I have never subscribed to the belief that the clothes make the man; rather, the man makes the clothes.

You sound fine to me, Brian.

This guy I knew in the Air Force got teased by his squadron for a metrosexual phase - if he had been anything other than a Tech Sgt, he'd have had his ass kicked for it, in fact. He spent oodles of money on designer labels when really, IMO he looked best in his BDUs or jeans and a t. But it made him happy, so there ya go.

Really...unless you NEED to dress to impress, I see no need to, as long as you're neat and clean (or reasonable so, depending on whether or not you just got off of work :p ).

The tucking of the shirt seems like a personal choice, more than trying to appear neat, which is fine. I don't look down my nose at a man because his shirt isn't tucked in however. Hats are OK too. For the love of GOD say it isn't a "trucker hat" and you are fine. :p My lord I loathe those hats... lol

As for the boots...I like them. :D So yeah, unless it's just your choice to be metrosexual, I think casual clothing like jeans, t-shirts, etc. are fine for everyday wear. I agree with Nilla too - there's just something about a guy whose apparel screams, "I have a job!" that is hot, lol. :p
The rugged (note I said rugged, not decrepit, lol) can be very appealing to some women. Having said that though, you can't possibly dress to please everyone, so as long as you're neat, just dress in whatever you're comfortable in.

lmao, I suppose that means I should never, ever wear my favorite t-shirt out in public. :p It's 100% cotton and threadbare from so many washings. I just can't part with it - don't ask me to!! :club:

The pants are hard to describe I guess haha. They're actually Dickies, which I guess is kind of a big name or something.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm definitely going to expand my wardrobe some, though...it came to my attention when I wrote this post that between things getting worn out, outgrown, or otherwise accidentally destroyed, I really need at least some more shirts lol.

Definitely not in to the metrosexual thing. I like to be clean and smell good but I can't really see the appeal of preening myself like a peacock :p

Dude..I have plenty cargo pants.

Yeap...some of the worn out stuff needs to go or I just wear them for work becuase I get a dirty or if they get ripped
Yeah, a variaties of shirts or t-shirts.

Accesseries. It might take some getting used to becuase of the line of work you do. It dosn't have to be expensive or shiney.
I wasn't allowed to wear jewleries when I was in the service or while working at the power plant for safty reasons.

Actaully being in the service help me alot in how I wear my clothe. My botton lines and zipper line and belt are aligned.
Most of the time I tuck in my shirts that has collars. A belt looks better i think.
That why I also like to wear t-shirts that's not to long...becuase there's less over hang and it looks neater like almost tucked in.
I'll also go through and trim those little threads that hang out. And most of the time my clothe are ironed.

Maybe get a couple of sweaters or a lite jacket

Get varities of belts and shoes.
Get black or gray socks. White socks are okay sometimes...but having black or gray, the stain won't show.

Get more shoes...dude
Even if you still get the same type of shoes...get more.
Boots has a habit of making feet smell. Even other shoes will too if i wear them all the time.
That's why I have lots of shoes, so they can bascailly air out as I rotate wearing them.
I have socks up the gallor too

Get some cool shades..lot of cheap ones. I get mine from the dallor store becuase I lose or break them too often.
No more hundred dallor pairs of raybands or okleys for me.

If you like to wear caps...maybe try losing those or don't wear them all the time. For a while I went through a stage of wearing caps.
I look better or neater without a cap

You don't even have to buy brand name stuff..becuase after a while you'll just have a varities of clothe.
They don't have to be expensive.

Definately wear colone or smell good stuff. I personally use axe shampoo, body soap, deorderant and body spray.
Be careful to not wear too much, that's why I used the body soap, shampoo and deorerdant...so it's not too strong.
When women hugs me...they always say I smell good.
hahahaaaaa...I keep a bottle of colone or body spay in my truck..if a woman gets in my car..she's done :p Pharomnes mobile.lmao

My biggest challenge is making sure my finger nails are clean after work hours. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass to
keep it clean all the time...Women wants clean hands on them.

Carry breath mints or gum

I like jeans and a tee shirt on a man :) it looks good.

I think it looks silly when guys wear really tall socks halfway up thier calf with shorts... its bad. Really really tight clothing on a guy... bad. Really fancy foo foo clothing on guys... bad. lol this is just my opinion

Simple and causal works.

Except... I'd tell ya to lose the hat. It was a really big thing for my boyfriend to stop wearing hats/put down his hood, but I love it because now I can see his facial features and eyes.

It's just a personal thing, but I don't really care for tucked-in shirts unless it's formal wear.

Unless I get a Mafia man, a t-shirt and some jeans are fine enough. Save the suits for the professional gangsters.

Well dickies is work clothes and they do do fancy works jeans, i have a pair somewhere but yeah to me what you wear seems to be what i wear just plain and simple and some nicer clothes for going out. and hats are only for outdoors

Thanks Crow. I was actually thinking about trying some Oldspice spray (the rebel in me refuses axe :p). I was also looking at getting a little bit nicer, but not really flashy watch.

I'm gonna try wearing hats less too. The haircut I've been wearing lately (leaving it a bit longer up top than I used to) looks good without a cap I think.

I do wear sunglasses a ton in the summer, but I push 'em up on my head when I'm talking to someone so they can see my eyes. They might be dorky, I dunno lol. They're actually safety glasses made to also be sunglasses, sold by a fire equipment company. They kinda look like Oakleys except with flames on the corners lol.

Latest posts

Back