How and when do you noticed that you are lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that seeing couples can sometimes trigger it for me. It reminds me that it isn't normal to have not had a real girlfriend at my age. It doesn't feel good.

Paraiyar said:
I find that seeing couples can sometimes trigger it for me. It reminds me that it isn't normal to have not had a real girlfriend at my age. It doesn't feel good.

Can you tell how old are you?

I can think of a few years when I *wasn't* lonely. It's something you never get used to, despite dealing with this issue for much of your years.

it isn't normal to have not had a real girlfriend at my age.

According to who?

reynard_muldrake said:
I can think of a few years when I *wasn't* lonely. It's something you never get used to, despite dealing with this issue for much of your years.

it isn't normal to have not had a real girlfriend at my age.

According to who?

I'm guessing it wouldn't be normal statistically (not that I've bothered to get data supporting this).

When I was around 13 years old I think? If I remember this correctly. I realised that I just couldn't get along with most people my age except a couple of them. I also didn't like doing work in groups because I always feel odd among them all, always. Growing up in my teen years, I still felt the same way... now that I'm 27, I still feel it too. I won't say I'm lonely, cos I like being alone but I'm quite comfortable with it now. Back then I felt different but I never once thought that there was anything wrong with that. I guess I accepted it the way it was.

I feel especially lonely when I'm with a friend but they are in a bad mood or are not really "there." I also get lonely when I reach out to people and am rebuffed. I suppose, it's when I'm lacking the connection I am making an effort to make. I'm not unreasonable and would be glad to meet up in person once a month, so I find it very sad when people can't even give me that. I realize they probably have other friends who they meet up regularly with and wish to devote their time to them, but then it feels like they leave their negativity with me because it's safer to do so.

When I feel that way, I try to focus on my hobbies or use meetup and be social with strangers, which is nice because there is less pressure and people want to be social. But it doesn't always work since the lack of a deep connection is still there. Maybe a romantic relationship would help, but then I feel I would put too much pressure and expectations on my partner to meet that need.

Uhh, I think I was lonely when I was 16, realising I'd gone through my whole school years without getting a girlfriend, and then again at 18 when it happened again and a lot of friends melted into the wind. I'm okay usually, I have friends, just no significant other, which is upsetting for me. Sort of wondering if I ever will.

edamame721 said:
I feel especially lonely when I'm with a friend but they are in a bad mood or are not really "there." I also get lonely when I reach out to people and am rebuffed. I suppose, it's when I'm lacking the connection I am making an effort to make. I'm not unreasonable and would be glad to meet up in person once a month, so I find it very sad when people can't even give me that. I realize they probably have other friends who they meet up regularly with and wish to devote their time to them, but then it feels like they leave their negativity with me because it's safer to do so.

When I feel that way, I try to focus on my hobbies or use meetup and be social with strangers, which is nice because there is less pressure and people want to be social. But it doesn't always work since the lack of a deep connection is still there. Maybe a romantic relationship would help, but then I feel I would put too much pressure and expectations on my partner to meet that need.

I feel that way too , like , nobody wants to waste their time with me :L , and when I think this way I feel bad and sad.

I think with the past few friendships I have had that have gone wrong and my last relationship, I realised that I was lonely. It's strange to be with someone, yet never have felt more alone in your whole life...

Well, in my childhood I think I always knew something was 'different' about me. I just didn't know what, exactly. But I believe I was around 15 or 16 or so when I finally fully realized my true loneliness. It was the day I finally felt something. I realized a lot of things that day, I think. I stopped caring about everything. My grades in school dropped. I started to do a lot of things just to test their limits. And did a lot of unconventional things only to defy conventions, for attention.

Looking back I am still a little surprised that I didn't ever realize it sooner. It was all so clear. It was the day that I woke up. The day that I finally opened my eyes.

I noticed it in a very young age already, because being ''different'' than others, more shy and quiet, very introverted personality. I was 5 years old, I think? I noticed it by other kids bullying me in kindergarten and elementary & high school, I didn't have any friends so of course it made me feel really lonely. It's something I've felt and known for my whole life really.

lonelyfairy said:
I noticed it in a very young age already, because being ''different'' than others, more shy and quiet, very introverted personality. I was 5 years old, I think? I noticed it by other kids bullying me in kindergarten and elementary & high school, I didn't have any friends so of course it made me feel really lonely. It's something I've felt and known for my whole life really.

I noticed it in a young age too , actually in kindergarten, same way as yours :p.

I noticed it when I was 13 and under a sweet chestnut tree, all by myself in the playground.

I currently live in a small town. I get a sense of loneliness when we drive into the city. I see all those homes, stores, etc and there are literally tons of people i will never know who are complete strangers. That seems kind of lonely to me.

When I wanna do things like go on walks or go to a craft store or music store or play games but end up droning talking to people online and flooding the crap out of fb. What amazes me is that I loose myself in it and have a "where did the time go?? I didn't get to do anything" type of thoughts afterward. Lol

Latest posts

Back