I act too old for my age?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keane

Reaction score
My biggest problem next to making friends is finding someone who's actually kind of like me. The reason why past friendships failed was because, yes, they accepted me and liked me, but the only reason I was friends with them was because I felt terribly alone and was willing to completely change my personality just to be with them because "Woah, someone actually wants to be friends with me". I played games with them, watched shows with them, talked about certain things, and it was cool... but none of it was anything that ever interested me. I faked liking those things. Of course, you can't always just do what you like, and I get that, but those friendships were very unbalanced. Whenever I showed something I liked nobody really cared and it quickly went back to conversation about something I didn't care for, and eventually I came to realise these people were just different than me and I became distant from them until now when I only really occasionally talk to just one and that's probably coming to an end soon, too.

Now, I'm only teenager, 15, but I feel like I'm too old or something. Not in a form of being smarter than others, I hate saying that I am, but, I dunno. I feel like the all big phenomenon's going around others don't reach me, the humour of others is too simple for me, I don't like the music anyone listens too, and I overall just have a very different view and opinion on things. As a result, I feel very isolated from people. And it's not that I'm not willing to look into their interests, or that I'm ******, I'm really open to new things, it's just that I really can't care for it, and I've yet to ever meet someone who cares for anything I like. Now, there's the internet, where you can meet all kinda of people by joining communities based upon your interests, and I've tried that, but then I have another problem: Everyone is older than me. I love a band, so I decided to join a forum over it. Everyone was in their 30's, and I felt really awkward. Is this a common problem? And what can you do about it?

Keane said:
Everyone is older than me. I love a band, so I decided to join a forum over it. Everyone was in their 30's, and I felt really awkward. Is this a common problem? And what can you do about it?

Why do anything? But I do know what you are saying. I have always said I have a problem that further isolates me... I seem to only make friends with people that are not my age or ethnicity? When I was a teen I worked at Sears. My best friend for all my teenage years... a 45 year old mother of two (who were just a few years younger than me) and oh, BTW she was Indian. We still talk to this day.

If you are white and my age... the chances are that I will have nothing in common with you and not like you very much.

The first man I ever fell for was 25+ years older. And even now I find myself more intune with people either older or younger.

I feel like I have had this problem my whole life and there isn't much to be done. Like you touched on... if you start acting *dumber* you will not be much happier because you will know you are faking it and after a while that gets old.

I am going to guess that if you go to college you will meet more people your age that are like you.

Keane said:
My biggest problem next to making friends is finding someone who's actually kind of like me. The reason why past friendships failed was because, yes, they accepted me and liked me, but the only reason I was friends with them was because I felt terribly alone and was willing to completely change my personality just to be with them because "Woah, someone actually wants to be friends with me". I played games with them, watched shows with them, talked about certain things, and it was cool... but none of it was anything that ever interested me. I faked liking those things. Of course, you can't always just do what you like, and I get that, but those friendships were very unbalanced. Whenever I showed something I liked nobody really cared and it quickly went back to conversation about something I didn't care for, and eventually I came to realise these people were just different than me and I became distant from them until now when I only really occasionally talk to just one and that's probably coming to an end soon, too.

Now, I'm only teenager, 15, but I feel like I'm too old or something. Not in a form of being smarter than others, I hate saying that I am, but, I dunno. I feel like the all big phenomenon's going around others don't reach me, the humour of others is too simple for me, I don't like the music anyone listens too, and I overall just have a very different view and opinion on things. As a result, I feel very isolated from people. And it's not that I'm not willing to look into their interests, or that I'm ******, I'm really open to new things, it's just that I really can't care for it, and I've yet to ever meet someone who cares for anything I like. Now, there's the internet, where you can meet all kinda of people by joining communities based upon your interests, and I've tried that, but then I have another problem: Everyone is older than me. I love a band, so I decided to join a forum over it. Everyone was in their 30's, and I felt really awkward. Is this a common problem? And what can you do about it?
I can really identify with this, I'm into obscure movies, heavy metal and anime, whilst none of my friends have any interest in these things. I also used to feel isolated because of this but as you said before there's always dedicated fans on the internet to talk to about the interest. If you're a fan of a certain band see if they have an upcoming concert in your town, great place to meet like minded people. You'd be surprised how often you unexpectedly end up talking to people with the same interests, in fact just the other day I found out someone I'd talked to a few times in class also likes metal! It surprised me to say the least. Apart from that, I'd say you should relax and enjoy your interests without worrying so much- it worked for me!

LadyDaria said:
I am going to guess that if you go to college you will meet more people your age that are like you.
I hear that a lot, and I surely hope so, but I've been feeling alone for years and I'm not sure if I'm able to put up with it for another four.
Skid Row 89 said:
I can really identify with this, I'm into obscure movies, heavy metal and anime, whilst none of my friends have any interest in these things. I also used to feel isolated because of this but as you said before there's always dedicated fans on the internet to talk to about the interest. If you're a fan of a certain band see if they have an upcoming concert in your town, great place to meet like minded people. You'd be surprised how often you unexpectedly end up talking to people with the same interests, in fact just the other day I found out someone I'd talked to a few times in class also likes metal! It surprised me to say the least. Apart from that, I'd say you should relax and enjoy your interests without worrying so much- it worked for me!
Hm, yeah, that's kind of the problem I have, I don't feel like I have any access to ways to meet people, nor am I extroverted enough to ever get to more than 15 seconds of smalltalk at most. And I know, I worry about friendships way too much, but I'm at a sort of breaking point where counseling doesn't do anything and I can't enjoy much anymore.

Keane said:

I am going to tell you, from a former teenager who had hobbies and interests that weren't around her age range, it gets better.

Yea, it's awkward being the youngster of the group, and in some instances it's hard. But don't be ashamed of being precocious, it's actually something to be proud of. There aren't a lot out there like you.

Stop worrying about friendships, and don't change for that. Give it some time, people will come to admire you for the way you are. I'm teaching your age range, and I see it all the time. :) Just hang in there! There will be people on here that can support you. I've found it, and it's been making my world better. :)

Keane said:

Now, I'm only teenager, 15, but I feel like I'm too old or something. Not in a form of being smarter than others, I hate saying that I am, but, I dunno. I feel like the all big phenomenon's going around others don't reach me, the humour of others is too simple for me, I don't like

the music anyone listens too, and I overall just have a very different view and opinion on
things. As a result, I feel very isolated from people. And it's not that I'm not willing to look
into their interests, or that I'm ******, I'm really open to new things, it's just that I really can'
t care for it, and I've yet to ever meet someone who cares for anything I like. Now, there's the
internet, where you can meet all kinda of people by joining communities based upon your
interests, and I've tried that, but then I have another problem: Everyone is older than me. I
love a band, so I decided to join a forum over it. Everyone was in their 30's, and I felt really
awkward. Is this a common problem? And what can you do about it?

I think you are an independent person, unlike the run of the borers in this world.

don't change a thing.
just follow your own path and it may be painful at times, but
it will keep you from being like the robots of the world and being your own self.
one day, you will meet others who see as you do and you will be in good company.
you are a child of god.

Latest posts

Back