I have everything, I feel nothing.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1withDarkness

Reaction score
I’m 22, nearly making 100k a year working construction, dropped out of high school when I was young to get into the trades and it payed off.
I work about 45-55 hours a week, though I don’t need to, as my bills are relatively low -@2500$ a month, I make more money then I spend by a wide margin, so I live comfortably. I live alone, I have friend I can count on and a healthy relationship with my family. A nice car, a motorcycle, a nice home in a nice neighborhood. I don’t care for anything these days. Settling down with someone these days seems more of a hassle then it’s worth, going out with friends is more tiring then rewarding. I sit at home after work, I drink, I eat, I sleep. I’ve become distant and lacking interest in anything or anyone, I prefer to sit and stare at the wall, wondering when my time will come. I need a reason to go on, living for myself is not an option as I do not enjoy life anymore. I feel completely dead inside.

G'day mate. I know what you mean. Having a reason in life is important. It gives you motivation to better yourself, to have a more worthwhile experience of life. Without it, life is as empty and unfulfilling as you are feeling now. All I can really impart upon you is this - you are young. Very young. There is so much of the world to discover. When you experience more, you might find something that means something to you, that can give you motivation, a reason to be here on this planet. You are in such a lucky position to be so financially comfortable, which can afford you to go and experience the world; how others live, what nature can give you, what beautiful and hidden treasures there are around this globe. Take advantage of you fortuitous situation and explore. You've got so much opportunity at your fingertips, that you just need to go out an grab the chance. You may be humbled beyond your imagination and realise where you might fit in to do the most good for yourself and others. You are not alone in this feeling of course; as the most recent generations are suffering much of the same. There are various reasons for this of course, but when people get back to basics, simple lives, connecting intimately with others (I mean, actually physically meeting people in life and being a part of their situation, not just social media connection) and feel like they're a part of something, then life changes dramatically. Being a part of a group, a movement, a community, and feeling valued and worth something has a HUGE impact on how we see our life and a value to the world and reason will come, because you will notice where your abilities and skills and, perhaps in your case, financial power can be of great benefit others. Give it time friend. Explore. Discover.

G'day mate. I know what you mean. Having a reason in life is important. It gives you motivation to better yourself, to have a more worthwhile experience of life. Without it, life is as empty and unfulfilling as you are feeling now. All I can really impart upon you is this - you are young. Very young. There is so much of the world to discover. When you experience more, you might find something that means something to you, that can give you motivation, a reason to be here on this planet. You are in such a lucky position to be so financially comfortable, which can afford you to go and experience the world; how others live, what nature can give you, what beautiful and hidden treasures there are around this globe. Take advantage of you fortuitous situation and explore. You've got so much opportunity at your fingertips, that you just need to go out an grab the chance. You may be humbled beyond your imagination and realise where you might fit in to do the most good for yourself and others. You are not alone in this feeling of course; as the most recent generations are suffering much of the same. There are various reasons for this of course, but when people get back to basics, simple lives, connecting intimately with others (I mean, actually physically meeting people in life and being a part of their situation, not just social media connection) and feel like they're a part of something, then life changes dramatically. Being a part of a group, a movement, a community, and feeling valued and worth something has a HUGE impact on how we see our life and a value to the world and reason will come, because you will notice where your abilities and skills and, perhaps in your case, financial power can be of great benefit others. Give it time friend. Explore. Discover.
Yes, well said. Life is what you make of it, and having a simple and boring life is a clean slate to build on, and it's free of real world issues some people can't avoid. Better to have no friends than terrible ones, better to be single than in a troublesome relationship. Life is a rare opportunity, look out to stars at night, reflect on the thought that this is one thing going on for millions of miles of space. And it's up to you and free will. Sounds like so far you've done ok, explore your creative talents, discover yourself.

anhedonia can be pretty awful: emotional numbness..

I liken it to having no appetite for an extended period of time; which, makes eating not only not enjoyable, but difficult as well.

When you're flying with zero emotional visibility, rely on your instruments!

If you live in a state with legal recreational pot, you could give drinking a break and give that a try.

In any case, take a break from the sauce, and seek nature. Perhaps the work is draining too. Dunno.

Take care. Lots of Life, Love, Beauty, Wonder, and Joy out there. It can just seem like such things don't exist, when it's so far away, and you haven't seen it in a while. Don't forget what it's like to Love, Dream, have fun, Wonder, and experience Beauty, and all that other stuff that makes life so exquisite, even amidst the suffering.

I haven't experienced the following myself, but, I've read about some one who was severely depressed for an extended period of time, and a chance encounter turned them around. She was gifted some sort of ornate box, while RVing with her hubsband, but, it was part of some sort of something (I forget now, read it in a 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' book). This woman was turned around by the reception of that gift from a stranger. She became fascinated with the object and wanted to learn all about it and such and such. So, in her case, it was just a waiting game, a chance encounter, and some luck.

Good luck..!

I’m 22, nearly making 100k a year working construction, dropped out of high school when I was young to get into the trades and it payed off.
I work about 45-55 hours a week, though I don’t need to, as my bills are relatively low -@2500$ a month, I make more money then I spend by a wide margin, so I live comfortably. I live alone, I have friend I can count on and a healthy relationship with my family. A nice car, a motorcycle, a nice home in a nice neighborhood. I don’t care for anything these days. Settling down with someone these days seems more of a hassle then it’s worth, going out with friends is more tiring then rewarding. I sit at home after work, I drink, I eat, I sleep. I’ve become distant and lacking interest in anything or anyone, I prefer to sit and stare at the wall, wondering when my time will come. I need a reason to go on, living for myself is not an option as I do not enjoy life anymore. I feel completely dead inside.

Your situation may feel distressing 1withDarkness, but your philosophical maturity at such a young age is encouraging. The cultural trend these days is to be busy and completely consumed with our daily affairs, leaving little time for thought on one's purpose or meaning in life. A large number of Americans will spend their entire lives pursuing careers, money, or pleasures, with many finding success without achieving inner satisfaction. Thus comes the relevance of religion - a topic that offends so many but affects everyone and everything.

Religion determines one's world view and ultimately addresses the questions of who I am, where'd I come from, what's my purpose in life, and what lies ahead. Everyone has a religion, a belief system of one kind or another. I won't detail the wide variety here since they're complicated and significantly different. But, they offer you the answers to what you're lacking and seeking: something more to life than just money, work, or pleasure.

Contrary to the popular secular trend that embraces evolution, relativism, and no meaning or purpose in life, Christianity offers a counter view. We were designed and created by God for a specific purpose in life: to know and love him and to learn how to love others. In other words, life is all about relationships. Nothing matters more. And while most people accept the second notion, too many neglect the first.

I believe that our hearts have an innate knowledge and desire to relate with our Creator. You want a reason to go on? Seek the relationships in life that you were created and designed for, starting foremost with God.

Here's an excellent audio sermon from the late preacher/teacher Tim Keller. It addresses the question here brilliantly and is worth everyone's time.

Just for the record other religions are available if you want to go down that route. I'd suggest Satanism, despite their reputation history shows they've killed far less people than Christians, or indeed followers of any Abrahamic religion, in the name of their god.

Just for the record other religions are available if you want to go down that route. I'd suggest Satanism, despite their reputation history shows they've killed far less people than Christians, or indeed followers of any Abrahamic religion, in the name of their god.
What is satanism about?

Latest posts

Back