i just cannot do it!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should i run away to mexico forever?

• *hot girls only option* no come live with me and we'll live happily eva afturz! :D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Van Hooligan X

Reaction score
On your laptop/computer screen apparently.
the van has serious problem:

i'm only afraid of 3 things:

Trypanophobia - The fear of being injected by needles
Monophobia - Fear of being alone forever
(don't no the offical fear name) - The fear of doing presentations to people.

I JUST CANNOT STAND DOING THEM :(
and tomorrow at 10:50AM UK time i have to do a presentation about how my work experience went :(

the work aint really a problem although 18 hours away i've not finished it :( i've taken my anti-anxiety pills but i swear to god i worry so much there useless :(

how the fresia do u calm down for this crap :(

Trypanophobia - The fear of being injected by needles <-- I haz it
images

Except for that ^ I say rest can be taken care of so Yorkshire FTW.

I can't believe my ears... Mr. Vanity? Afraid to talk to people? Well, online life and offline life can be very different. I had to conquer my fear of talking in front of groups because of my job, but it doesn't mean I still don't get clammy handed and have difficulty swallowing when I'm doing it. I think the best thing to do is to PREPARE well. Have a PowerPoint or else some other notes handy. That way, you know what you need to do, and what you want to say next. If looking at the crowd makes you nervous, then just look at your notes. Nothing says you have to make eye contact. You can still present the information clearly by following your notes and moving on at a steady pace. Knowing you, something humorous added into your presentation should be easy, as well as appreciated by the crowd.

You're an awesome guy, Mr. Hooligan X. You'll do well. Just have good notes, or if you really want to make it easier on yourself, type out what you want to say word for word and simply read it off. It'll still cause you to get a bit nervous, but if you can just tell yourself it's only another five minutes... How long does it have to be, anyway?

Mike

ok, I share all of your fears plus-
emetophobia-Fear of vomiting
Restrictive Claustrophobia- Fear of very tight spaces

I had to do a presentation in front of 300+ people earlier this year at uni and I didn't handle it well. As far as talking went, I did ok it's just that when I had finished, one of my group members put up an image of my work and made a joke (not in a bad way, I can't even remember what he said but it was very harmless) on the big screen and everyone laughed. It was just that all the attention was on me and I wasn't ready for it so my face did it's usual tired smile thing. You know when you smile too much and your mouth begins to run out of energy and starts spasming-that. I'm not even sure if anyone noticed but it made me very self conscious and it put a downer on the whole day for me.
I guess, my advice is to be prepared for anything. I've also heard the following advice from someone who I really trust with this stuff-
It's good not to look into the onlookers eyes but to look at their forehead instead.
Keep a bottle of water with you so, of your voice gets a bit shaky you can take a swig and it should temporarily sort it out and give you a few seconds break.
Speak loud and clearly and take your time.
Don't let it dominate your thoughts before you have to do it. Try and clear your mind.
Remember that everyone has to do stuff like this at some point in their lives and I don't think I've ever met anyone completely comfortable with it.
It's only a tiny proportion of time whether it's 5 mins, 20 mins or 2 hours it will still be over before you know it.
Also, have some faith in your pills working, if you consider them useless they'll have the anti-placebo affect. I didn't have any and lord knows, I needed them!
Good Luck! and let us know how it went tomorrow ok?

You could always do what i used to do in school and university and just not turn up.

I'm the last person to give advice on this type of thing, given my own anxiety stops me from driving. But I think it's about not being afraid to do something wrong. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? You make a mistake but carry on? Just don't turn up naked!

MiKeY said:
I can't believe my ears... Mr. Vanity? Afraid to talk to people? Well, online life and offline life can be very different. I had to conquer my fear of talking in front of groups because of my job, but it doesn't mean I still don't get clammy handed and have difficulty swallowing when I'm doing it. I think the best thing to do is to PREPARE well. Have a PowerPoint or else some other notes handy. That way, you know what you need to do, and what you want to say next. If looking at the crowd makes you nervous, then just look at your notes. Nothing says you have to make eye contact. You can still present the information clearly by following your notes and moving on at a steady pace. Knowing you, something humorous added into your presentation should be easy, as well as appreciated by the crowd.

You're an awesome guy, Mr. Hooligan X. You'll do well. Just have good notes, or if you really want to make it easier on yourself, type out what you want to say word for word and simply read it off. It'll still cause you to get a bit nervous, but if you can just tell yourself it's only another five minutes... How long does it have to be, anyway?

Mike

5-10 minutes

but i'm doing it to people i don't get along with, imagine i'm doing a presentatio on something i know about, example: work experience or tits, now add the ALL side that hate me mixed in with the cool ppl of ALL and u have tomorrow...and i'm kinda finding it hard to get on with the work knowing that its a presentation @_@ i rly dunno how you do it mikey :(

Are you going to do a PowerPoint or are you going to just have an oral presentation?

Van Hooligan X said:
MiKeY said:

Mike

5-10 minutes

but i'm doing it to people i don't get along with, imagine i'm doing a presentatio on something i know about, example: work experience or tits, now add the ALL side that hate me mixed in with the cool ppl of ALL and u have tomorrow...and i'm kinda finding it hard to get on with the work knowing that its a presentation @_@ i rly dunno how you do it mikey :(

Okay, well what about this... make a brief outline about where you worked. What are five things that went on there or that you did? Make the first slide your title, then the next slide an introduction where you tell a bit about the place. Then, the next slides can be about things you did while you were there... just try to go for five, to make sure you use up enough time. You can write what you want to say about each of them on index cards or note cards, averaging about 45 seconds a piece or so. After that, make a conclusion slide on which you tell what you learned and how the experience has benefited you. Think that might work?

MiKeY said:
Okay, well what about this... make a brief outline about where you worked. What are five things that went on there or that you did? Make the first slide your title, then the next slide an introduction where you tell a bit about the place. Then, the next slides can be about things you did while you were there... just try to go for five, to make sure you use up enough time. You can write what you want to say about each of them on index cards or note cards, averaging about 45 seconds a piece or so. After that, make a conclusion slide on which you tell what you learned and how the experience has benefited you. Think that might work?

err i have to include some other stuff but aye cheers mikey

i can't imagine online van or offline zak could handle your job lol

Yuck, I hated doing any type of group presentation.

Good luck with it.

everyone can laugh at me now that i've realized i've misunderstood the poll. :rolleyes:

Van just remain calm and if you make any mistakes just talk through them :) and listen to what Mikey says!!

Alright, I don't have any good advice for you because I myself would get panic attacks before presentations.
I've come to learn that deep breathing does jack, and being prepared does jack. It helps, but not that much.

I actually had a presentation I remember, where I wasn't very nervous because...
I brought a couple of my anti-anxiety pills to school, and took them a few minutes before the presentation. This is not the way to take them obv, and this may not be the healthiest form of advice, but drastic times call for drastic measures :p

I have the same problem, I hate presentations theyr'e all like nooo stop watching meee I dun wan to do this :( but it's k because mine always only last half as long as everyone elses for some reason.

Group presentations. Hate them.
I don’t really have much advice to add to what you already have. Just maybe try to practice your presentation exactly how you are going to give it so that you’re completely familiar with it. Plus don’t forget, having a visual presentation means people will spend a lot of the time looking at that rather than at you too. Not to mention the fact that you are indeed Vantastic so how can you possibly go wrong?!
Just do your best and good luck! My fingers will be crossed for you!
Oh and by the way, fear of public speaking =Glossophobia apparantly!

Hey Van,

I had several major presentations for school. I find that being well-prepared, having notes of what to say, and doing practice presentations by yourself or in front of a friend/family member, helps lessen the anxiety.

-Red

itsmylife said:
Oh and by the way, fear of public speaking =Glossophobia apparantly!
Beat me to it!

About 75% of people say they are fearful of public speaking. This means that 3 out of 4 people in your audience are probably just as scared of what you're doing as you are, and it's remembering that point which gives me confidence. Everyone you are speaking to is just a person like me and you, with hopes and fears, ambitions and insecurities, dreams and nightmares. For the whole time you're speaking they will all be thinking "I wish I had the same confidence as Van". If you keep that thought in the back of your mind, the ten minutes will seem like ten milliseconds.
Good luck!

Public speaking can be a chore, and I used to dread it like nothing else. But the more I did it, the more comfortable I became. Practice makes perfect, just like everything else. I still don't like to do it, but I don't break out into hives over it anymore, that's for sure.

Here are two mindsets that I found very helpful in overcoming my glossophobia.

I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS! If you set out with the goal of making yourself better at public speaking, you might start to look at it as a challenge to be overcome instead of a situation to be feared. Learn by doing, as they say.

NOBODY WANTS ME TO FAIL! You'd be surprised how sympathetic and encouraging an audience can be. They don't want you to fail. Why would they? And if there are a few people who do, who cares? Pretend they don't. Just tell yourself, "I'm not talking to them."

If UK schools are anything like US schools, then at least fifty percent of your audience won't be paying attention to anything you do or say. Think about that! It cuts your audience in half! Half the pressure makes it twice as easy.

Try not to fret. You'll be Vantastic!

Oh, and whatever you do, do NOT try to picture the audience in their underwear; some hairy dude in the front row might be going commando that day. Definitely not worth the risk. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back