Intricate city culture - does it exist

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheenix

Reaction score
A bit of a vague an unanswerable question coming in, I am sorry.

I've recently watched some movies and played some games that highlighted this "city culture", where everyone knows all the bars an in town, where tons of small subcultures have their favored hideouts and they interact with each other, where everyone knows the bartender and the leader of the local bar, where certain names of locals are spoken of in fame or infamy... I don't know if this description paints any picture for you, but I was wondering if this... culture exists. Fictional worlds are prone to romanticizing and I am sure it's a bit more glamorous than the real world, but how many grains of truth are in this description is what I am interested in. This comes as a bit of a response to how people are asking me if I don't feel bored in my everyday of studying and staying in my room, and, frankly, urging me to "get out more."
Another way to pose the question: Are any real cities these living, breathing things or is the city always somewhere you go when you want to watch a movie, eat out...

If I wrote this message in a posh tone of voice, which I think I did, I am sorry, haha. I've been listening to such for a while this evening and it rubs off extremely even despite my wishes. And yes, I know that asking this question is a little... loser-ish :p

Yeah, to an extent. Different subcultures will congregate in different areas of the city, go to particular business places that cater to their scene, and reveal themselves to one another in various ways. Within that subculture there are "regulars," like in forums, who are well-known characters.

Defining culture is a difficult thing, but I would say that various cities do have different personalities to a greater or lesser extent.

I'm sorry for editing. I don't think I have anything interesting to say after all...

Latest posts

Back