Is Diet Pop(Cola Specifically) Really That Bad For You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneKiller said:
VanillaCreme said:
I feel better when I don't drink soda. I love cranberry juice and water, and I honestly much prefer them.
Feel better in what aspect Vanilla?:)

I feel less sluggish, and I notice I have more energy. Soda just doesn't make me feel good at all, but sometimes, that's honestly all that's here. Jeremy and his mom have never done with out their soda. It's so ridiculous to me how much they spend on buying all the soda. I admit, sometimes I do contribute in drinking it, but I really limited myself on it. I planned to get a Brita or some sort of water filter device, because the tap water here is just as bad for you.

VanillaCreme said:
LoneKiller said:
VanillaCreme said:
I feel better when I don't drink soda. I love cranberry juice and water, and I honestly much prefer them.
Feel better in what aspect Vanilla?:)

I feel less sluggish, and I notice I have more energy. Soda just doesn't make me feel good at all, but sometimes, that's honestly all that's here. Jeremy and his mom have never done with out their soda. It's so ridiculous to me how much they spend on buying all the soda. I admit, sometimes I do contribute in drinking it, but I really limited myself on it. I planned to get a Brita or some sort of water filter device, because the tap water here is just as bad for you.
Ahh...I see. Thank you Vanilla.:)

In case anyone is interested and considering giving up pop and sweetener, I thought that I'd offer some positive news. Since I gave up pop and using artificial sweetener, I've been more relaxed, not as sluggish, and have dropped a couple of pounds. I'm sleeping better and everything. I'm quite surprised and happy to see this progress so swiftly. It motivates me to continue with confidence.

Well, I've given up Diet Coke, but not because of any supposed health benefits. I was just tired of drinking upwards of 30 cans a week. Having said that, I do feel marginally less bloated and my craving for sugary things seems to have dissipated.

On the negative side, I feel like I have less energy and I feel like I'm suffering from terrible mood swings.

I gave up all sugary drinks about two months ago, but i have notice feeling better overall and less jittery with the lack of caffeine. Trying to move to a much healthier diet as well but that is low going lol.

I gave up caffeine and cut back on soda to 2 cans a week. I do feel better, but sometimes waking up in the morning without coffee sucks.

Cavey said:
Well, I've given up Diet Coke, but not because of any supposed health benefits. I was just tired of drinking upwards of 30 cans a week. Having said that, I do feel marginally less bloated and my craving for sugary things seems to have dissipated.

On the negative side, I feel like I have less energy and I feel like I'm suffering from terrible mood swings.

It's interesting how each person's body dishes energy out because I drink a lot of Coca-cola (normal stuff) an I just feel the same energy when I drink it to days I don't.

Cavey said:

Hi Cavey.

It's withdrawal. It will subside soon I'm sure. Caffeine isn't as weak a drug as many think. It can be difficult to quit. What helps me is thinking like this: Hmmm....caffeine withdrawal sucks! Then again, at least I'm not some poor soul dope sick from opiate withdrawal! This thought makes it easier to handle the caffeine withdrawal. Dig the withdrawal symptoms from opiates!

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32574

I still drink huge amounts of tea every day and it contains more caffeine than the coke. I once gave up tea and it had no effect at all. It could be that I enjoy drinking Diet Coke. Depriving myself of this enjoyment leaves me less happy. When you're less happy, you have less energy. I'm just speculating...

I gave up a 60 cigarette a day habit with no mood swings, no withdrawal, nothing. It was a piece of cake. Surely caffeine isn't more addictive than nicotine?

My mood swings and general lethargy may well be completely unconnected to giving up Diet Coke. They did happen at roughly the same time, but then so did my divorce and other issues that have affected my outlook on life.

I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Cavey said:
I still drink huge amounts of tea every day and it contains more caffeine than the coke. I once gave up tea and it had no effect at all. It could be that I enjoy drinking Diet Coke. Depriving myself of this enjoyment leaves me less happy. When you're less happy, you have less energy. I'm just speculating...

I gave up a 60 cigarette a day habit with no mood swings, no withdrawal, nothing. It was a piece of cake. Surely caffeine isn't more addictive than nicotine?

My mood swings and general lethargy may well be completely unconnected to giving up Diet Coke. They did happen at roughly the same time, but then so did my divorce and other issues that have affected my outlook on life.

Gratz on quitting the smokes! Unless you used meds or e-cigarettes you did it through sheer force of will. That's impressive. I'm still using e-cigarettes to help cushion the withdrawals of cigs.

LoneKiller said:
Cavey said:

Gratz on quitting the smokes! Unless you used meds or e-cigarettes you did it through sheer force of will. That's impressive. I'm still using e-cigarettes to help cushion the withdrawals of cigs.

It was like 15 years ago, but hey I'll take all the positive reinforcement I can get! ;)

There are 91 symptoms of aspartame toxicity. Just a few are numb-tingling hands and feet, fibromyalgia like hot spots, chronic-fatigue/exhaustion, sleeplessness, memory loss, depression, blackouts, vision problems, stabbing pains in limbs, tinnitus and it is often misdiagnosed at MS. So yeah, it's poison.

LoneKiller said:
I drink around 5-6 cans of diet cola a day. Is it really that harmful to the body. I could have "Googled" this, but many of the articles can be difficult to understand due to medical terminology. I was just wondering if anyone here has any input on the subject in a way I can understand without looking honeysuckle up.

Godspeed.
LK

It's pretty bad for you! If it's coke, it's full of caffeine, which has a negative relationship with some mental health conditions including depression and also has a symbiotic relationship with alcoholism (the book Optimum Nutrition for the Mind). If the soft drink you're drinking doesn't contain caffeine, then your main issue is the amount of sugar and empty kilojoules. You sound like you're not happy with this habit anyway, which is why you're writing in. You'll need some motivation if you're going to cut a habit like this out of your life. Maybe read up on it a bit, and if you can't cut it out completely, then just cut down.

Alienated said:
The sweeteners can't metabolize completely, and they turn into formaldehyde which the body can't get rid of. You are embalming yourself dude.....
Well. Less work for the embalmer to do when I die.:D

I drink 3-5 cans of Diet Coke a day when I'm cutting. I'm also 220 lbs. standing at 6'3" and as dorky as all get out when it comes to nutritional science. I also write a blog related to said topics but I won't ever link to it for two reasons (don't know if that's even allowed and for two, my name is on the blog and I'd rather remain anonymous).

As of now, there are no epidemiological studies done via peer reviewed scientific journals on human beings in regards to artificial sweeteners having significant adverse effects. The ones that are out there were done on rats by literally giving them outrageous doses of the aspartame. If you were to do that to a human being, that would be the effect of what, 75 cans of diet soda in a day. I don't know about you all, but I don't know anybody that could possibly consume that much diet soda in a day. Everything out there on the net debasing diet soda can be chalked up as anecdotal evidence, but that's merely that, without any logical base. Moderation, folks.

The only tangible side effects from diet soda I personally feel is bloating, and that's attributed to the carbonated water content. Doesn't bother me, though, because I also consume a horde of water during the day. But diet soda is amazing while on a cut. For me, personally, anyway.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
What is cutting? Is it what I think it is?
Fat loss.

Cutting as in dropping fat. Not what you think it is unless that is what you specifically thought it was.:p

Latest posts

Back