Is Spanking Or A Slap To The Face As A Disciplinary Measure Child Abuse?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.:)

My grandmother is constantly going on about how parents these days can't give their child a spank on the ass or a slap to face of as a disciplinary anymore without fear of being taken to court. Many consider it abuse, but I'm not sure. I'm not a parent.

When I was younger, my mother would spank my ass or slap me in the face for mouthing off and I never considered it abuse at all. Do any of you feel that this method of discipline in abuse?

Godspeed.
LK

American society of pediatrics says anything but an open hand to the buttocks has negative consequences on the child, whether others agree with this is another matter but this is the objective truth.

I don't believe in hit in the face but a good smack on the behind does a child good. My personally belief is you don't have to hurt them just scare them, after a certian age you can just talk to them.

Well... with most things... there's a line where you shouldn't even think to cross. There is a huge difference between a spanking and beating someone though. The intent is to not beat/put in anger/hurt the child. It's for disciplinary action, and so they learn what happens when they don't listen the first, second, or third time. (End result being a spanking).

When I was 14yo, I called my father a ******* and he slapped me with the back of his hand. Looking back, that was so disrespectful to call him that. I had it coming. I was a mouthy little turd at the time.

I have been spanked and slapped a few times. I don't think I got enough spankings though..and I mean that in a respectful way. I was a sneaky kid at times. lol. *shakes head*

I got hard spankings when I was a kid, the slap to the face is too much, If I had kids and I felt the need to discipline I would spank not slap.

I don't see a thing wrong with legitimately disciplining a disobedient child. I think good parents know the line and don't cross it.

My mom whipped my ass often in front of God and everyone - and it was always well deserved. I can recall being at the store checkout many times with my bottom lip quivering and doing the 'I just got a big ole spanking in public' pout. Never slapped in the face, though.

A quick little tap to the ass is fine. To the face, no. My mom was old school, she believed in spanking so you couldn't sit down, it was the way she was raised. I don't share that ideal, and if and when I ever have kids I will not have a strap in my house, ever. I will never make it so my child couldn't sit down after with out a doughnut.

I try to avoid it, I have given them both a sharp smack on the back of the hand when they were younger but haven't in years to be honest. If you don't shout at them unless you have to then a raising of the voice and a bit of a growl is normally enough to get the message across. I had a couple of wallops off my dad, but not very often. I remember when he was out my mum saying 'just wait until your dad gets home' was enough to get me shitting my pants!

My advice would be

Don't issue idle threats, like "if you do that once more you're not having your toy" and then they do it again and the parents just say "Junior I'm warning you" and you think, yeah and you're not delivering on that warning so they have your number, clearly!

Keep your patience as long as possible, because when you lose it, it should send alarm bells. Kids get used to shouting quite quickly so it should only be used when it really has to. If they realise that a shout doesn't actually carry any consequences you're stuffed!

My preferred method with the younger one is "one....TWO......" That usually works god knows what I'm going to do if I have to get to three, I'm banking on the fact that he doesn't know what I'll do either so he'd rather not take the chance! :p

You see parents screaming at their kids all the time and the kid's don’t give a honeysuckle because they are so use to it, so once they get used to that you have to wallop them to get your message across and what happens when they get used to that? Then you're in trouble.

I hate people who say spanking is abuse. I think the word, "abuse" is overused, which is incredibly disrespectful to actual abuse victims.

Yes me as an abuse victim hate that... I hate these threads.

There should be consequences to all our actions, but hitting a child leaves more damage then just the visible welt.

Yeah, it's abuse and it's assault. It's unwanted physical contact. If you did it to another grown person you'd get charged with assault. If you think that it's okay to do it to children, then as far as I'm concerned you're immoral. I was spanked as a child; it didn't help and I didn't appreciate it. If I saw a family member or anyone else hitting a child, I wouldn't hesitate to contact some form of authority on the matter.

arcolino said:
I got hard spankings when I was a kid, the slap to the face is too much, If I had kids and I felt the need to discipline I would spank not slap.

WallflowerGirl83 said:
Yes me as an abuse victim hate that... I hate these threads.
I didn't know that. Please accept my apologies. Why exactly did you post in it then?:)

nerdygirl said:
I hate people who say spanking is abuse. I think the word, "abuse" is overused, which is incredibly disrespectful to actual abuse victims.

Yep.

When I was growing up, we were raised on a good ass whoopin' when we did something legitimately wrong - broke something we were explicitly told not to touch, lied, stole, etc. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Somewhere down the line my dad thought it was OK to slap me around and beat up my brother on a weekly basis - that is abuse.
Sometimes I look at kids these days and I think what I wouldn't give to have some of their parents bend 'em over the knee and give 'em a good ten spanks. No, nowadays we have "sit in that there corner and think about what you've done!"
Do you know what they're really thinking? How to silver tongue their way out of their next time out. And how much of a ****** you are.

That's just how I feel about the really shitty kids though - the ones who beat on little girls and kick mud in smaller kids' faces and throw their infant brothers down stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back