Is there any peace ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhGodImLonely

Reaction score
Hello guys I was wondering if it was possible to sit down like the buddah and wait until something happens ?

I can't stand still like that for very long before all sorts of negative thoughts start to overwhelm my brains and I have to do something, smoke a cigarette, drink a coffee, or play chess.

I've always admired the idea of meditating till illumination or peace would come somehow. But is it just possible ?

I couldn't possibly sit down a tree a empty out my mind because it would drive me ******* crazy.

I used to do some yoga and found it impossible to empty my mind. There would be the negative thoughts you mention creeping in and also I would become aware of tiny things, such as someone talking quietly in the street outside, or a little creak made by the floorboards.

I couldn't possibly sit down a tree a empty out my mind because it would drive me ******* crazy
you are not staying long enough. ;)
(notice i said "staying" not waiting. it's not a waiting game)
you must release your forward thoughts and sink deeper into the place between concious and subconcious thoughts. that's what they mean when people say: "clear your mind"
you want to pass that stage of restlessness (or going crazy) and then into a state of limbo and at that point your mind will follow the path of least resistence.
sometimes that may be a revelation that you have been hiding from yourself. but there is no truth that you don't already know.

The nearest I get to meditation is sitting in the woods watching all the little creatures trying to eat each other. It's not to everyone's taste, but just sitting outdoors seeing what else is alive takes my mind off most of the annoying stuff. I've never managed to empty my mind, but I can spend hours trying to work out why insects are the shape they are, or what noises different birds make. It's peace of a sort, and lasts for a while and that, I reckon, is the best I can hope for.

I can't empty my mind without insrtumental music , then imagine going down several flights of stairs until the thoughts of everything else stop.

I can't possibly see how anyone can think of absolutely nothing, our minds are still working when we are asleep.

OhGodImLonely said:
Hello guys I was wondering if it was possible to sit down like the buddah and wait until something happens ?

I can't stand still like that for very long before all sorts of negative thoughts start to overwhelm my brains and I have to do something, smoke a cigarette, drink a coffee, or play chess.

I've always admired the idea of meditating till illumination or peace would come somehow. But is it just possible ?

I couldn't possibly sit down a tree a empty out my mind because it would drive me ******* crazy.
Meditation takes wicked practice. You must make it an at least twice a day thing. Inhale a deep breath. Then release. What I focus on is myself while breathing, is the number 8. Picture yourself looking down at the shape of the 8 from the sky. Then add 1 car and follow it driving around the shape of the eight non-stop. Like a racing track.

When you first begin, it will be a little of a pain in the ass due to other random thoughts entering your mind. When this happens, just grab them, recognize them, then toss them away and return to your number 8. Once you get the hang of it, many benefits will surface.

Your concentration on many things such as math and chess will improve. Sometimes 30min. of meditation can actually energize you as if you just woke up from a good night of sleep.

It took me around 3 months to get in the zone. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Walley said:
smokin weed helps (see marajuana thread)
Welcome to the forums.:)
In my experience, weed would help me forget the bad stuff and make me feel like a million bucks for a while. Problem was, I developed an addiction to it. My system built a tolerance to it, causing me to have to light up more and more just to get a buzz.

It was also very expensive. I would smoke about a gram or two a day. Which worked out to a little north of $200 bucks a week.
Meditation is free. Also, you don't get the craving for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Cookie Dough flavored ice cream nightly.

Ultimately, I ended up using just to feel normal. When you are an addict like I was, real life became a huge inconvenience. Just my experience. Can't speak for others.

OhGodImLonely said:

The Buddha was not "waiting" until something happened while he was sitting under the tree. He was practicing a very specific form of meditation called Vipassana.

One of the main purposes of this meditation is to alleviate mental suffering. It is an incredible meditation to learn! It's interesting that you brought up this topic because I myself have learnt this meditation in the past. The teaching of this meditation is completely free and it is in the form of a 10 day course in a "retreat" of sorts specifically for this purpose.

Keep in mind though that this course is not a vacation, rather it is an opportunity to work on yourself mentally with no outside distractions. During the 10 days you cannot speak or be in contact with anyone outside the course, you are completely disconnected so to speak.

It is not an easy course, however it is free and it is a very supportive environment and you can do it as many times as you want, as long as you abide by the rules, which are:
1. Complete silence for 9 days (on the tenth day after the morning meditation the vow of silence is over)
2. No sexual activity (including masturbation)
3. No killing (this means insects as well)
4. No stealing
5. No intoxication is allowed (this also means cigarettes)
6. No lying

The above rules may sound kind of ridiculous or at least very strange to one who has never done the course, but trust me on this one -- it is quite an experience, and in my opinion well worth it. This course is like performing "mental surgery" on yourself.

I sat in the course twice.

Here is the website so you can find out where and when you can join the course: http://www.dhamma.org/

Also, if you are wondering anything else about this course, ask away (either in PM or here) :)

2. No sexual activity (including masturbation

may as well stop eating too, i think that would be easier lol.
after 9 days i think my mind would sure be clear because all my thoughts (and blood supply to my brain) would be below my waste!

I thought the exact same thing you did before I sat my first course. I never said it would be easy. In fact, it is a very challenging course, but not because of *GASP* not being able to relieve certain tensions....

I can tell you that personally, I felt the course was both very intense and quite a unique life-changing experience, so much that I did it a second time :)

Another thing regarding your objection: I can guarantee you it won't be as much of a challenge once you already started the course.

Latest posts

Back