Is there something to be said about the simple life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whocares

Reaction score
I'm a senior in college and will be graduating this may (fingers crossed)

Anyways, I've spent the last 4 years really trying to become this amazing person. I've worked out hardcore and gotten into really good shape. I've tried my hand at standup comedy 9 times in the past year. I've always admired standup comedians like jerry Seinfeld, Louis ck, and brain Regan and in the back of my mind I still think I have what it takes to become a great standup comic. Anways, I've tried very hard to be social. I've approached, easily, over 150 girls, gotten a bunch of phone numbers, and a few dates. However, I guess I'm pretty bitter about the whole dating thing right now. Most girls, KEY WORD *MOST, I didn't say all, aren't worth the time of day. But that's a whole other post.

My question is this: is all of this worth it? The working out, eating a healthy diet, doing standup comedy, etc., etc.

I mean I look at this guy:

sure he’s not the most handsome dude ever, that's saying it nicely, and sure he probably doesn't get out much, needs to lose some weight, etc., etc., BUT he appears so **** happy in this video. Even if it's only his movie collection, he's still excited about something in life.

And that brings me to the big question: Is there something to be said about the simple life? I mean yea I want to be a standup comedian but it feels like so much work. I've only done well on stage TWICE but the two times I did well I felt amazing, like a king, the best I’ve ever felt. EVER. However, when I did bad I felt pretty sh it ty. Same thing with working out. I like how my body has been transformed over the past 3 years but deep inside I’m not really happy. I've been eating a very strict, healthy diet and yes I look good with my shirt off by I’m not happy. Is there something to be said about the guy in this video? Has he got it all figured out?

Same thing with girls. I’ve approached a lot of them, dated some of them, kissed a few of them, and even had sex. But deep down I’ve never been with someone who I connected with. I LONG so bad to meet a girl who I can just be my god **** self with. Maybe that makes me sound like a pussy but I don't care.

I’m sick of being someone I’m not. I miss the old me. I look in the mirror and see a worn out, unhappy, 22 year old. All my best friends from high school and people who know me well tell me I’m the funniest person they know. Why do I have such a gloomy outlook on life? Why has this melancholy struck me so harshly? Perhaps the simple life is the way to go. Maybe I should eat pizza and cheesecake every day and start a big as s movie collection. Maybe that's the key. I'm being serious about this. Maybe happiness is found within yourself and not in caring what others think

I don't know....I just don't know.

I don't think anyone is ever truly happy because you always want more; whether it be money, fame, or me time. You just have to try to be happy with what you got and stop thinking about what you don't.

To me the simple life means enjoying the simple pleasures of life and not needing excess/luxuries to be happy. It means "high thinking" instead of "high living".

Having said that, working hard can be part of the simple life, too.

The reasons people complete goals is because it gives them satisfaction and/or joy. Only you know if you are feeling good enough about it to work hard. If it doens't give you emotional rewards, why do it?

As for healthy eating...I am a healthy eater but who says you can't enjoy life eating healthy? It's not all fat free, salt free, at least to me. To me it's a whole foods diet but I enjoy your food. If you aren't enjoying your healthy food...well that would be hard to stick with. You need to enjoy your food, it's a simple pleasure of life.

I think staying healthy is worth it. Letting yourself go does not feel good. You have less energy, less clarity of thought, less comfort in the body, less ability to do fun interesting things like travel, hike, bike, etc. You can enjoy more, feel more. I personally wouldn't have it any other way. But you get to decide. Maybe you need to try the "other side" and see if it suits you.

I don't think anyone can be truly happy unless they are able to like themselves for who they are. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat a lot of food and start a collection to find happiness- but you shouldn't work out and eat healthy to please everyone else around you.

You should do what you want and worry less about what everyone around you thinks. If you are yourself and do things you want to do (things that will make you happy) you will attract a great girl who will like being around you because you are 'you'.

I think the world has got so complicated in the last few years. I look back at the old movies where a guy would finish work and pick up his girl from the typing pool and go to watch a film and then go dancing. I just think, thats the lfe, simple. He dosn't have to worry about Iphone's, blue ray players, broad band speeds, watching the latst HBO series everyone is talking about, wondering if he is metrosexual enough or masculine enough, moisturising, healthy eating, not smoking, detox shakes etc etc etc. I mean you could just go on for ever listing crap that is considered must know, must have, must be. Its all too much!

I think you have a finite amount of time on this earth and you have to work out what sort of person you want to be and then try to be that person and be happy to let the rest slide a bit if its not important to you, you can't do it all there isn't time in the day. If having a six pack in't that important to you, then let it hang out a bit an be happy. :)

I agree with the above posters: it's about doing what YOU feel is important. Did you do certain things just because it seemed like the right things to do? Or to please people? Did you put so much stock in doing certain things (flexing muscles, approaching girls, doing standup, etc.) that you thought it would transform your life? When you do things because you like it and because it let's your magnificence shine through, then you can be happier.

What feels different about the guy with DVDs? To me, he looks passionate, really passionate. So perhaps that's it: you (and we) have to find something to be passionate about, do it and see what comes around.

Your depressed because you just realized that you spent 4 years working your ass off, and your not happy.

Change, eat whatever the fresia you want and do whatever the fresia you want XD

Latest posts

Back