It's okay to be alone.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt The Rabbit

Reaction score
Reading many of the threads here over the past couple of years and having made friends who have gone through cycles of relationships and loneliness, I guess this is what I want to say, that it is okay to be alone sometimes.

It's okay to be by yourself. It's okay to back out of a relationship that isn't working out. It's okay to stop being friends. It's okay to put someone on ignore. Don't be afraid of being alone. It only means you are afraid of yourself. Instead, I wonder what would happen if many people here stopped worrying about "loneliness" and just learned to enjoy their own company. Do things they want to do, spur of the moment, because they have no one else around to get in their way.

I find that sometimes the problem is that a lot of us aren't truly alone. We're just surrounded by people we don't want to deal with. They influence our lives but do not provide any enjoyment. In that case, perhaps the answer is to become alone. Perhaps in solitude one can find freedom - freedom to cultivate a sense of self worth and purpose.

Perhaps with a little bit of self worth some of us would quit pining for "any woman" or "any man" to pay them a sliver of attention and stop making the mistake of being strung along by the wrong people and getting hurt in the process. Perhaps some of us would find that there are more important things in life than "not being single."

It may not be the solution for everyone, but perhaps it's an idea that should be honestly considered.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Instead, I wonder what would happen if many people here stopped worrying about "loneliness" and just learned to enjoy their own company. Do things they want to do, spur of the moment, because they have no one else around to get in their way.

This especially. I picked up a new language on a whim, and even though I don't have anybody to speak it with I'm just going to start watching foreign films and reading foreign books.

Suck it, subtitles and translators!

I have enjoyed the last few months. I have made a concious effort to stop looking for a girlfriend, Ive also stopped sending text message / facebook messages to people. I want a quiet life, I want to be alone. And it's been great. Plenty of sleep, no waking up early because I'm worried about something / somebody. No waiting for text messages that don't appear. None of that crap on facebook, getting all excited because a woman has 'liked' one of my posts. My last 2 xmas's have been dreadfull because of women. This one is going to better. I just prefer it this way. Doing my own thing.

Tealeaf said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:
Instead, I wonder what would happen if many people here stopped worrying about "loneliness" and just learned to enjoy their own company. Do things they want to do, spur of the moment, because they have no one else around to get in their way.

This especially. I picked up a new language on a whim, and even though I don't have anybody to speak it with I'm just going to start watching foreign films and reading foreign books.

Sweet! :cool: I want to start learning German

I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with what you said, it's very good and supportive. Just right now, with me, I disagree.

Errr WTF.....you all signed up to this site for reasons.
Evidently you couldnt find salitude in living along :p

Lonesome Crow said:

it's amusing reading all the crap on here

Im in a relationship at the moment...

I dont worry about texting or waiting for phone calls.
I dont worry about FB stocking.
I dont worry chasing.
I dont worry about dating.
I dont worry about not getting laid or lack of sex.
I dont worry about not having someone I love to snuggle up with.
I dont worry about giving/getting hugs and kisses.
I dont worry about having someone to talk to or argue with.

The things it is...I do spend time alone or have time to myself everyday....
Like alone alone in my front porch or backyard. Let go of all the worries and problems.
I dont have to do honeysuckle...think honeysuckle, believe honeysuckle or be honeysuckle.
There's salitude in that...I suppose.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
Tealeaf said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:

German is what I'm learning. The sentence structure takes some getting used to, but otherwise it's not too much of a leap from English.

I wanted to watch old movies with solely German subtitles first because I'm still better at reading it, but the best I can find is YouTube clips with English translations or no subtitles at all. Ah, well.

It has a reputation as a coarse language, which isn't necessarily true although it sounds very different from what most Americans are used to.

putter65 said:
Lonesome Crow said:

it's amusing reading all the crap on here

Pot meet kettle. If you don't like it you don't need to keep coming here. That statement alone is reason enough you need to leave.

Tealeaf said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:
Tealeaf said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:

German is what I'm learning. The sentence structure takes some getting used to, but otherwise it's not too much of a leap from English.

I wanted to watch old movies with solely German subtitles first because I'm still better at reading it, but the best I can find is YouTube clips with English translations or no subtitles at all. Ah, well.

It has a reputation as a coarse language, which isn't necessarily true although it sounds very different from what most Americans are used to.

I took a bit of German in high school and, yes, the sentence structure definitely takes some getting used to! :p By the time I graduated the only thing I could do was greet people and write a letter to a janitor in German. Handy, eh?

I find it to be a romantic language, personally. *chuckles*

Sci-Fi said:
Pot meet kettle.

PAHAHAH
+infinity

Sci-Fi said:
I have to disagree. Nothing wrong with what you said, it's very good and supportive. Just right now, with me, I disagree.

Well, like I said, it's definitely not going to be everyone's solution. I just thought it might be true for some. It'll be good if you find what you need to make you happy.

And I said it's okay to be alone. o_O "Lonely" is people being unsatisfied with the fact that they're alone.

I agree. Its absolutely ok to be alone, I feel most comfortable all alone, some of the time. But loneliness is bitter and painful. I thunk loneliness comes from not being comfortable by yourself, without someone else's presence, for any number of reasons. I'm happy alone as long as I don't think about it. Which I do. A lot.

There are times that I like to be alone. Then there are times that I really long for someone. I recently got a promotion at work and had no one to share that news with. I'm one step away from going back to school for my PhD and have no one to share that with. I totally kicked ass on a problem at work yesterday and had no one to share that with. I didn't get wished a "Happy Birthday" by anyone this year except for my ex mother-in-law. The beneficiaries of my insurance and estate are charitable organizations.

I think it's the interaction that I miss more than actually having someone physically there for me.

Limlim said:
it's a bunny!

It's a wild limpoo!
5nxg.jpg

Latest posts

Back