I've been doing this for years.....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihabl

Reaction score
Rumination refers to the tendency to repetitively think about the causes, situation factors, and consequences of one's negative emotional experience (Nolen-Hoeksema, 1991). Basically, rumination means that you continuously think about the various aspects of situations that are upsetting.

The question is, how can I stop when I've been doing this for as long as I could remember!?

http://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_the_case_for_emotional_hygiene

ihabl said:
Rumination refers to the tendency to repetitively think about the causes, situation factors, and consequences of one's negative emotional experience (Nolen-Hoeksema, 1991). Basically, rumination means that you continuously think about the various aspects of situations that are upsetting.

The question is, how can I stop when I've been doing this for as long as I could remember!?

http://www.ted.com/talks/guy_winch_the_case_for_emotional_hygiene

Do you have goals that are achievable that you think would lead you to a better future? I feel like if you could channel your energy into something like that then maybe it't help break the rumination cycle.

I find myself doing this too, it's become my default setting. What can help for me is to try to become more conscious of my thoughts, maybe to take a walk or try to empty my mind with meditation. Just take a time-out of some kind.

I do also analyze a lot of negative thoughts and experiences I have so I can learn what I did wrong and try to fix it so I don't keep making the same mistakes. I try to figure out what I could have done better.

Good thoughts, thank you. The sadness I feel in realizing I missed out on most things that others experience in childhood. I can never go back, so to relive and dwell on that time in my life is not healthy. When adults talk, it seems it always leads to talking about our "glory days", days which were not glorious for me. I wish I can just stop dwelling on my past, the only mistake I made was being so shy that I experienced nothing!

Repeting to yourself contrary until you change your paradigm .For example if almost you think you are shy you repeat that you have confidence smart and courageor and you will change then

Ruminating is a brain issue, you should try an SSRI like Zoloft. It most likely isn't going to go away without medication.

Latest posts

Back