Kissing-scene: SO ANXIOUS

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlucyblvd

Reaction score
Alright, I was just cast in a one act play that my school is going to use in a competition. I'm really psyched, because while I am very shy and reserved, I love performing. The problem lies in the fact that I have to kiss a guy in this play. I've never been kissed. I'm so anxious about, so anxious that it's taken away from my accomplishment of being cast at all.

There are two sides to this. The first entails how I'm a hopeless romantic. A lonely, hopeless romantic. I always hoped that my (eventual) first kiss would mean something. It doesn't need to be perfect or romantic-novel worthy, but I've hoped there would be some sincere feeling behind it. I want it to be a memory I can look fondly upon, and feel all warm in my stomach when I think about it. I'm a little disappointed that my first kiss--which is pretty imminent, the show is in October--will just be a necessary part of a scene. The guy is cute and nice enough, but he obviously doesn't think very much of me, so no romance is going to blossom out of this. I don't know, I'm so lonely, my little daydreams are all I've got sometimes.

The other thing that's making me nervous is that I need to do this in front of people. I'm afraid of embarassing myself in front of the rest of the cast, in front of the guy, and in front of the audience. Oh, and the judges, because this is a competition piece.

This was kinda long, and I don't know if I even posted this in an appropriate section of the forum. Sorry D:

If you really want your first kiss to be special to you, you might want a different part or something. It will be your first kiss and that is what you will remember. If acting is more important, by all means, act in the play. I dont want to sounds like Im giving advice, just telling you what I would do.

My first kiss meant nothing. I dont even know his last name. I wish I waited.

I'm gonna be honest here, Sweetlucyblvd:

YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR FIRST KISS TO OCCUR ONSTAGE.

If you're going to keep this part in the play, you need to practice kissing before you present the play. Seriously. Nothing would be worse than you going to kiss on play night and forgetting your lines, or bumbling a bit, or having an awkward silence.

HOWEVER...

Being in a theatrical play, I imagine that the kiss is going to be a simple peck on the lips, and not some drawn-out makeout session. So it wouldn't be too bad to have to do this for your first time. It's pretty easy, just like kissing someone on the cheek, but on their lips instead.

*shrug*

GOOD LUCK! :D

Badjedidude said:
Being in a theatrical play, I imagine that the kiss is going to be a simple peck on the lips, and not some drawn-out makeout session.

^I was thinking the same thing.
Either way, better break the ice early Lucy!
Because if you feel awkward on stage, and he feels awkward on stage - it will show through your body language and the judges will see it.
With practice, you should feel less nervous about it.
Best of luck for your competition! :)

I don't think a play acting kiss is equal to a sincere meaningful kiss with someone you're in love with. It's exactly what it is: Acting. I wouldn't place bets that it will be magical.

VanillaCreme said:
I wouldn't place bets that it will be magical.

No, probably not... but it DOES have the capacity to be awkward, especially since the OP has stated that she's a hopeless romantic and that the guy she'll be kissing is cute. I guarantee that her mind is gonna be building this up into something.

It would be better to practice the kiss, IMHO.

What Nilla said.

You're acting a part, playing a character. In that light, it's not really you or the guy kissing...it's the characters kissing; you're just facilitating it. If you're thinking otherwise, I imagine you aren't acting as well as you should/could be.

I don't understand... Why would the first time be on the actual show stage? Aren't there going to be rehearsals? I imagine if they are entering a competition, they aren't going to just skim over parts during the rehearsals...

Now that I've completely missed the point of the original post, here's what I think: It won't be as bad as you think. I don't think kissing this fellow in a dramatic setting will make your actual first kiss later on any less meaningful. Kirsten Dunst's first kiss was with Brad Pitt in Interview with a Vampire. Plenty of people have their "first" kiss in kindergarten on a dare. It only counts as a first kiss if it means something to you, or if it's more than just a peck.

futurecatlady said:
I don't understand... Why would the first time be on the actual show stage? Aren't there going to be rehearsals? I imagine if they are entering a competition, they aren't going to just skim over parts during the rehearsals...

That's kinda what I was wondering.

Even if we didn't cover it in rehearsal, if I were in a play I would seek out my counterpart and ask if we could practice together sometime, with no pressure or anything. (hello) lol

Sorry if I wasn't clear, we would do it in rehearsal first. Hopefully by the actual competition I'll have gotten over this. thanks guys for the advice, I guess I'm going to just suck it up and do it. Maybe this'll provide me ample practice for when I actually kiss someone I love :)

Latest posts

Back