Last of a dying breed...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nghtrain36

Reaction score
As my friend has told me time upon time again, "We are the last of a dying breed. Scarce to find even in entire states." What breed is that you may ask? The otaku culture is wearing thin here in the old U.S.A and now they only seem to exist back in Japan. All the clubs in my entire STATE are completely deserted and forgotten. My friend and I tried starting our own and even went so far as to ask people from other states to join but alas there is not a soul out there that at least enjoys some good ol' fashioned gaming. Everyone around me has moved on to "bigger and better things" and hasn't even thought of looking back to their old ways.

I'm one of the hardest of core otakus around my half of the state. As far as I've looked (and I've talked to people that know everyone in the state!) no one else even comes close to matching my dedication. Not to sound cocky or try to provoke a fight in any case though. I just can't seem to find people that enjoy the same things. Is it really that hard to find people that enjoy anime or gaming anymore? I can't help but to love everything about being an otaku so really there is no changing it. The funny part about it all is that compared to some of the otaku in actual Japan, I'm just a newbie! I want to find more people like me but it's like my kind has up and disappeared. I've tried some sites but most of them are dead and nobody uses.

My friend says that the only thing he could think of that might possibly work is learning how to speak Japanese and moving over there! I'll give it to him though, it seems to be the only place left to look. I have quite a few friends but only two of them seem interested to try becoming an otaku. Our group is small and there seems to be no one else around to join, so does anyone know where to get some more like-minded friends around? It gets lonely with only three people!!

LGH1288 said:
Nghtrain36 -- Hajimemashite. Watashi wa "LG" desu. Do-zo yoroshiku onegai shimasu! Otaku wa nan desu ka? Hai, wakarimasu. "ALL" no minna-san, mitte kudasai: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku. LG:)

I think I forgot to mention the fact that I know little Japanese! Sorry, I can't understand you! If only my high school had a Japanese class! It feels wierd being obsessed with Japanese culture but I know nothing of the language.

Nghtrain36 said:
LGH1288 said:
Nghtrain36 -- Hajimemashite. Watashi wa "LG" desu. Do-zo yoroshiku onegai shimasu! Otaku wa nan desu ka? Hai, wakarimasu. "ALL" no minna-san, mitte kudasai: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku. LG:)

I think I forgot to mention the fact that I know little Japanese! Sorry, I can't understand you! If only my high school had a Japanese class! It feels wierd being obsessed with Japanese culture but I know nothing of the language.

Daijo-bu na (it's OK, you're safe)! I'll translate: Hajimemashite (I am pleased to meet you for the first time). Watashi wa (I, the subject) "LG" desu (am, is). Yoroshiku onegai shimasu (please favor me). Otaku wa (the subject Otaku) nan (what) desu (is it, where ka=indicates a question)? Hai (yes), wakarimasu (I understand). "ALL" no (possessive "of") minna-san (everybody) mitte (command form of verb "to look") kudasai (please).
Yappari (as you'd expect), Nihon-go (Japanese language) o (object of the sentence) subarashii (adjective for "fabulous") desu (it is) yo (emphasis). N36, I encourage you to find a class, get a book & try Mangajin magazine. Ganbatte (do your best)! LG:)

LGH1288 said:
Nghtrain36 said:
LGH1288 said:

Daijo-bu na (it's OK, you're safe)! I'll translate: Hajimemashite (I am pleased to meet you for the first time). Watashi wa (I, the subject) "LG" desu (am, is). Yoroshiku onegai shimasu (please favor me). Otaku wa (the subject Otaku) nan (what) desu (is it, where ka=indicates a question)? Hai (yes), wakarimasu (I understand). "ALL" no (possessive "of") minna-san (everybody) mitte (command form of verb "to look") kudasai (please).
Yappari (as you'd expect), Nihon-go (Japanese language) o (object of the sentence) subarashii (adjective for "fabulous") desu (it is) yo (emphasis). N36, I encourage you to find a class, get a book & try Mangajin magazine. Ganbatte (do your best)! LG:)

Thanks for the little lesson! I really want to learn the language but as of right now I need to focus upon my Spanish studies I'm doing for high school. After that though I'm going to straight to Japanese! Thanks again!

Do- itashimashite (you're welcome). I really wish I took Spanish in high school but instead I chose French. The only good that served was for was reading "Rosemary's Baby" en français! Spanish is so much more useful nowadays. And, it might have helped me with Brazilian Portuguese (for when I've needed to understand song lyrics). C'est la vie! LG:)

Hey man, I don't know if it gives you hope or not, but at the age of 23 I still get together with my brother and sister to watch anime every week.

You might find it easier to indulge the hobby once you're an adult, or you may not. As people get older they branch out in to different things, and especially in this sort of subject matter we often have to turn to the internet to find like-minded souls.

Brian said:
Hey man, I don't know if it gives you hope or not, but at the age of 23 I still get together with my brother and sister to watch anime every week.

You might find it easier to indulge the hobby once you're an adult, or you may not. As people get older they branch out in to different things, and especially in this sort of subject matter we often have to turn to the internet to find like-minded souls.

My friend and I both are getting to be big otakus, and I suppose a rapid maturing rate could have some factor in it. I kind of grew up alot faster than the other kids so that could be part of the issue. The internet so far hasn't been much help to me though, as most of the good sites are drained of all people!

A lot of us are in the closet as well. I'm a 28 year old anime / gaming fan living in on a redneck surrounded military base in the middle of nowhere. People I know either don't know what it is, or identify it as that "ghey honeysuckle kids watch."

I can keep it a private hobby though. Problem is it doesn't help remove some of the disconnect you have with people around you.

Limlim said:
A lot of us are in the closet as well. I'm a 28 year old anime / gaming fan living in on a redneck surrounded military base in the middle of nowhere. People I know either don't know what it is, or identify it as that "ghey honeysuckle kids watch."

I can keep it a private hobby though. Problem is it doesn't help remove some of the disconnect you have with people around you.

Rednecks sure don't understand our culture do they? I go to school with quite a few of them, but alas everyone can't like the same thing I suppose. I try to get people to open up to the otaku culture or at least try it. They don't seem to want to though so I can't help but to be seperated from them. Their choice is their choice but does is it really that hard to try something new instead of negatively labeling it as gay or kiddish?

Some of my co-workers play games, but they aren't as open to the quirky stuff.

I'lll throw out stuff like Ikaruga (huge Treasure fan), Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, Panzer Dragoon, Blazblue, P.N.03, Shenmue, Trap Gunner, Bit.Trip ****... you know, that "gamey" stuff. They'll throw out EA Sports and the hottest thing(s) happening in the world of First Person Shooters. I'm aware of those games as well. It's when I get the "huh? What's that? Eh. Too Strange..." kind of response that I quickly realize my taste and enthusiasm for gaming is on another level compared to theirs. How can I be gaming friends with someone whose taste is so... limited? I just don't bother.

jjam said:
Some of my co-workers play games, but they aren't as open to the quirky stuff.

I'lll throw out stuff like Ikaruga (huge Treasure fan), Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, Panzer Dragoon, Blazblue, P.N.03, Shenmue, Trap Gunner, Bit.Trip ****... you know, that "gamey" stuff. They'll throw out EA Sports and the hottest thing(s) happening in the world of First Person Shooters. I'm aware of those games as well. It's when I get the "huh? What's that? Eh. Too Strange..." kind of response that I quickly realize my taste and enthusiasm for gaming is on another level compared to theirs. How can I be gaming friends with someone whose taste is so... limited? I just don't bother.

I understand that COMPLETELY! The kids at my school are constantly talking all about the newest Call Of Duty or whatever shooter game came out and completely shrug off whatever doesn't involve direct shooting violence. I've heard of alot of the games you mention but I've only tried a few. Nowadays gamers are more drawn to simplistic shooting violence and overlook anything that seems too drawn away from the direct shooting concept. I've seen many a friend succumb to that shooting nonsense. I get you all the way man...

Latest posts

Back