Medication?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el Jay

Reaction score
Is anyone here on meds for stuff like depression or anxiety, or have you been?

I just started Citalopram on Wednesday, after my doctor prescribed it to me. My psychologist thinks (well, pretty much knows) I have depression (though not major depression) and anxiety problems, so this is what my doctor thinks would be a good first bet. Would've prescribed Zoloft, but I might be allergic to it.

Does anyone have any experience with Citalopram? (experiences with other meds are welcome, too, for anyone who's comfortable discussing it)

I found that being on Effexor helped me with social anxiety and definitely gave me more energy and I generally was more joyful. But it did make me have blunted emotions, and some of the side effects like low sex drive, weight gain, manic episodes, and headaches were too much for me.

I don't know about the one you are on. Zoloft didn't help me at all, and the weight gain was ridiculous. All my life I've been about 170 lbs since I was full grown, when I was on Zoloft I blew up to 200 in a couple of months.

A lot of those drugs have strong sexual side effects, it can help by not having the distraction of sexual interest, but if you end up in a relationship it can cause a lot of problems obviously.

I'm of the opinion that pills should only be used when the danger of the side effects is outweighed by the danger of the mental illness. Like antipsychotics have horrible side effects and can cause neurological damage, but if you are going to kill yourself or other people without those drugs then the risk is worth it.

I would read all I could about the drug you are about to take and get opinions from people who have used it themselves, beause the companies that make the pills and the doctors will always downplay the side effects.

Prozac, Trazodone and klonopin.... I was on Effexor for years....I gained a ton of weight, and was a zombie but it worked.

I have a friend on Citalopram and they like it. Give it sometime to kick in... You will feel sleepy and kind of foggy at first, but that will go away. Hope this med helps you. If you are not feeling any difference or side effects are bothering you after 6 weeks, talk to your DR. and switch.
good luck. :)

Risperidone, Ksalol and Zalasta are the ones i've been on.. Ksalol basically made me relax and kill the feeling of anger.. Rispoderidone actually made me really tired to the point where i wouldn't even care if i sleep on the street or in my home, weird. Zalasta basically stabilizes me and makes me less anxious. Since i am nearly cured of anxiety and depression i drink only Zalasta now but half of the usual dose since i am about to quit it soon.

I'm on Risperdone for Bipolar type 2, and Klonopin for anxiety and panic disorders. I hope I can share that here.

I've tried many meds before this combination, and they either didn't work or they gave me terrible side effects. One sent me to the loony bin. I'm grateful that my doc is so smart; he's the one who put me on this combination, and for the most part it just works.

Prozac and Klonopin for depression & anxiety, first experience with taking meds and seem to be OK... No freaky side effects so far.

There is a support site for all sorts of issues that discusses various types of meds too if you are wanting more feedback: www.crazyboards.org

I took Escitalopram (dont know if its the same as Citalopram) for 4 months and got sleepy , tired and no sexual desire whatsoever.
I also tryed Olcadil which put me to sleep for 24 hours straight, Venlofaxine which gave me a boost in energy and mood but like the Escitalopram the sexual desire completely disappeared and Risperidona which didnt gave me any side effects

Oh and i gained a little weight while on medication...

I have used Cipralex and it really worked for me (I don't know do you know the pill brand?), anyway it really helped me but now I am getting depression's symptoms back after stopping using it 6 months ago...

Latest posts

Back