Meditation?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amthorn

Reaction score
I am just curious, how many people here have tried meditation/mindfulness as a way to cope with negative thoughts and feelings?

Amthorn said:
I am just curious, how many people here have tried meditation/mindfulness as a way to cope with negative thoughts and feelings?

I'd like to say I have, but my brain doesn't seem to turn off when I try.
Have you attempted it?

There are different kinds of meditation, so you have to find the one that is good for you.

Did it more or less daily since 200-7? but in the last year or so I got too restless, also having nice nature around helps and where I am there isn't much of that. (not everyone is a tree hugger)

EveWasFramed said:
Amthorn said:

Have you attempted it?

Well, my understanding is that it's more about being attentive to your thoughts and feelings and letting go of our attachments to them . . .

Peaches said:
There are different kinds of meditation, so you have to find the one that is good for you.

Did it more or less daily since 200-7? but in the last year or so I got too restless, also having nice nature around helps and where I am there isn't much of that. (not everyone is a tree hugger)

I'm trying out Buddhist mindfulness meditation, it seems to be helping so far with helping me cope with some of the negative feelings. The more aware I am of feelings like self-pity, anger, sadness, etc, the more I become aware of how I'm really attached to them, and can work on letting go.

EveWasFramed said:
Amthorn said:

Ditto. Can never shut my brain off.

I have. It helps put things in order for me. Been a while since i've done it though.

I have been meditating for years. It helps with the stress and gives me a different outlet so I don't do other things. There are times when I'm too far gone in my thoughts to be able to accomplish it, but for the most part, I manage just fine.

I meditate everyday at dawn. Now it is not for everyone. I suffer from monkey brain as I call it. Never stops however through practice and my beliefs I have managed to train myself to slow down. There are days when I wonder if I should be doing this and days when I want to sleep in. But it has become routine and somehow I manage to attain the peace. I have essential oils in a diffuser and of course very meditative music playing. I have a certain place in my house that is quiet and has natural lighting. Through all these actions I can calm my anxiety and quiet my mind.

But note I also take medications that help me with the day to day struggle.

I am trying to find groups I can join. It is hard for me to relax where I live, unfortunately.

I've read a lot about it and it sounds like something that would help me a lot. I even tried for a while and sometimes it did make me feel better. But I never got into the habit of it, and strange as it might sound, I'm not sure I want to feel at peace.

I've tried it on and off over the last few years. I usually struggle to keep it up for much longer than a week or two. But I've been getting into more of a habit of doing 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night, which I've done for almost a month now.

I think it's helping me to break negative thought patterns or at least increase my awareness of those thoughts.

I have a book that I bought long ago called "Wherever You Go, There You Are", I pull it out and read it when I'm stressed and don't know where to turn.
When my brain is moving 100 miles an hour and I can't shut it off, I like to go for a nice long walk through a park or walking trail with no iPod or smartphone or anything like that, just me and the trees and birds (and sometimes my kiddo too). As far as I'm concerned, that counts as meditation too :)

-Teresa

SofiasMami said:
I have a book that I bought long ago called "Wherever You Go, There You Are", I pull it out and read it when I'm stressed and don't know where to turn.
When my brain is moving 100 miles an hour and I can't shut it off, I like to go for a nice long walk through a park or walking trail with no iPod or smartphone or anything like that, just me and the trees and birds (and sometimes my kiddo too). As far as I'm concerned, that counts as meditation too :)

-Teresa

Anything that lets you get in tune with your senses, and fosters awareness, counts I think! <3

I take medication as well, though I am hoping to wean off. I hate being reliant on anything. I wish I had a calm, peaceful place to do my own meditation, but I don't, so I search out groups to meditate it. I am not so sure I will make any new friends, I've come to accept that I generally lack that mechanism in real life, I can at least find some level of fellowship.

Arachne said:
I meditate everyday at dawn. Now it is not for everyone. I suffer from monkey brain as I call it. Never stops however through practice and my beliefs I have managed to train myself to slow down. There are days when I wonder if I should be doing this and days when I want to sleep in. But it has become routine and somehow I manage to attain the peace. I have essential oils in a diffuser and of course very meditative music playing. I have a certain place in my house that is quiet and has natural lighting. Through all these actions I can calm my anxiety and quiet my mind.

But note I also take medications that help me with the day to day struggle.

SofiasMami said:

-Teresa

There's been a couple of times when I've been for a walk in a park nearby and I was able to just let go of my thoughts and be totally present, just focusing on the sights and sounds. It was a beautiful, almost euphoric experience. But I usually find it so hard to get into that space without being distracted by thoughts.

I learnt about mindfulness over a year ago and have applied with a lot of success. Particularly on days when I feel very low. It has helped me get more done when I have been feeling depressed.

Meditation I have tried, but not seemed to have had to much success yet.

I was in to Vipassana for a few months (audio-guided). Helped me strengthen my mind a bit (I tend to think a lot and get to drawn in to these thoughts). It's about observing the breath and sensations in the body one-by-one (so you focus on one sensation at a time without the mind wondering or being distracted by a different sensation elsewhere).

I must get back in to it - was thinking of doing one of those 1 week retreats. Not sure if I'd survive though -_-

jasedude2002 said:
I was in to Vipassana for a few months (audio-guided). Helped me strengthen my mind a bit (I tend to think a lot and get to drawn in to these thoughts). It's about observing the breath and sensations in the body one-by-one (so you focus on one sensation at a time without the mind wondering or being distracted by a different sensation elsewhere).

I must get back in to it - was thinking of doing one of those 1 week retreats. Not sure if I'd survive though -_-

Interesting, I was signed up to go on one locally, but then I got my new job and couldn't take the time off. I may still do it. I suppose I am suited for it. Sitting in silence without communicating with others doesn't bother me at all, and I am accustomed to abstracting my thoughts. I've found my recent forays into meditation very helpful.

I've tried meditation countless times, but I need to figure out how to gain some patience/attention span before I can effectively do it. I'll usually put on some ambient music/binaural beats and sit up on my bed with my eyes closed, attempting to breathe deeply and slowly, attempting to be motionless. I've had a few instances of seemingly leaving my head, and one time I could only feel above my eyes, not really dissociating, but it was certainly relaxing.

Latest posts

Back