Mind mapping

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a form of improved note-taking that borrows heavily into using diagrams and logical connections. It seems to improve recall when I employed it.

It works by beginning with a central idea and then branching like like the branches of a tree: working from the mind's tendencies to speculate, often becoming a vague art form that in a way, also helps mental scaffolding and recall. It permits a person to effectively and efficiently insert whichever thoughts that relate to the subject at matter, often assisting recall or creativity.

For example, I am preparing to teach a GRE exam and it allows me to create a branch known as 'question types'. Under 'question types', I can isolate the Analytical Writing portion as one branch of that, and make some quick 'twigs' which allow me to identify as such, for example: 'essay', which analytical writing is. Furthermore, it allows me then split the major categories of Analytical Writing apart into 'Analyze an Issue' and 'Analyze an Argument' essays, with their idiosyncratic differences such as the Issue essay requiring a persuasive argument built from experience and example(I jotted down the quick doodle of a firebrand dictator giving a speech on a lectern as a pictorial mnemonic measure of persuasion) versus the Argument essays requiring understanding of how and why the argument is structured, but NOT to either defend or support the argument in question(I jotted down the doodle of a detective's magnifying glass to indicate unbiased investigation for myself).

This goes on for quite some time until the initial tree is 'built' complete with multiple branches and their trees, and due to its highly self-constructed nature, it seems to lend itself particularly well to learning and recall. I found the example below to provide an image of it,

Map.jpg

How much did you employ it for? Lol. It looks to me like a Brainstorm. In which case yes I do Mind Map occasionally. I did stuff like that image when I was in College. Illustrated ideas.

Gutted said:
How much did you employ it for? Lol. It looks to me like a Brainstorm. In which case yes I do Mind Map occasionally. I~ did stuff like that image when I was in College. Illustrated ideas.

For studying in general, I think, anything that involves a large quantity of information that can be chunked.

Yeah I love mind mapping! Just put the main subject in the middle and make a big bubble around it. then you can draw some arrows with facts coming off it or you can draw the arrows to mini headings and then bullet point under. Whatever you want to do! I tend to colour code too. Hope that helps :)

They always use stuff like that in business.

When I was doing my business course we were always encouraged to use mind mapping for most things involving ideas and creativity. Using a massive peace of paper, we'd 'brainstorm' ideas like business names or ventures.. stuff like that, I didn't find it that much of a help personably, but hey, people must dig it, otherwise it wouldn't be around!

9006 said:
They always use stuff like that in business.

When I was doing my business course we were always encouraged to use mind mapping for most things involving ideas and creativity. Using a massive peace of paper, we'd 'brainstorm' ideas like business names or ventures.. stuff like that, I didn't find it that much of a help personably, but hey, people must dig it, otherwise it wouldn't be around!

I find it a skill, and like any other skill, it needs to be practiced to be developed. But over time and finding myself using it more and more for just general critical reading, it seems to vastly enhance my information recall. Essentially, I think it 'enriches' the information so that the brain builds better scaffolding for recall, and that in and of itself, is extremely valuable.

Lots of people have different ways of remembering alot of information, a friend of mine once explained that the best technique that worked for him was remembering a story he knew, (I was walking down the street looking in all the shops... etc) then filling the story with the information, then when he recalled the story, he could recall the added information.

I suppose different people have different ways of remembering.

Latest posts

Back