My loneliness/emptiness stems from...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somber_radiance

Reaction score
After a lot of introspection and meditation, I recently came to the realization that a big part of my feelings of loneliness/emptiness stem from a deep, deep hatred of myself.

All this hatred has been built up from years of disappointments (like constantly falling short of my expectations and personal goals) and that evil inner dialogue (that constantly cycles "I'm not good enough"). So over time, I have grown to hate silence or spending time alone, because it forces me to face the one person I hate the most in the world. Of course it doesn't help that I withdraw socially when I go through bad times, so I end up spending a lot of alone time festering in hate and depression, which only exacerbates things.

How do you forgive yourself/like yourself again? How do you find enjoyment in solitude again?

You don't need forgiveness for being you. Forgiving yourself is about targeting the specific things that you feel bad about, not about the person you are. As a forgiveness technique, self-acceptance allows you to acknowledge that you're a good person, faults and all. It doesn't mean that you ignore the faults or stop trying to improve yourself but it does mean that you value yourself above those elements and cease to allow your faults to halt your progression in life.

Not only do you allow yourself to remain stuck in the past, but not forgiving yourself takes a huge toll on your emotional and physical health. Inability to forgive is sourced from anger and resentment, two emotions that can wreak havoc with your health. So this is something that you need to fix before it takes a toll.

Perfectionism can cause you to hold too high a standard for your own behavior, a standard that you wouldn't hold anyone else to. And if your perfectionism causes you to be too hard on yourself, you are caught in a situation where self-forgiveness is very hard to do because it seems like acceptance of a sub-standard you. You need to let this go, you are human, nobody is perfect.

Also, forgiving is not forgetting. Let go of other peoples expectations and be yourself, don't beat yourself up. Accepting your past mistakes will lead you to be more comfortable in solitude again and you will be able to face yourself again.

(got this from an article that helped me with the same problem)

Be confident about yourself. Stop thinking that you are not good enough. The person who spends the most time with you is yourself, so learn to love yourself for who you are. Remind yourself of the good things you have done instead of the bad ones. Focus around it.

I hate myself sometimes for the things I have done. I tried to fix myself to be a better person, then move on. I repeat the process over and over. It's about realizing your flaws, accept it, fix it if you can.

To be honest, I find enjoyment in solitude when I stopped caring about others and divert all attention to me. The less you care, the better. But do this when you want to spend time alone and not with others.

Sorry if I'm not helpful.

somber_radiance said:
How do you forgive yourself/like yourself again? How do you find enjoyment in solitude again?

It's really good that you found the root cause of the issue. You've had your downs in the past but that doesn't mean that for the rest of your life you need to be weighed down by it.

It's ok to have failed, we've disappointed ourselves in our lifetime multiple times but it's time to move passed that. I failed to quit games for 14 years and I could've failed to quit for longer had I not done the self reflection that you described. I decided ok, it's time to stop focusing on my past failures and focus on what I have and make the best of it. I can turn my life around, I can improve and so can you. I'm 31 with no career, almost no tangible job skills because I squandered the years I spent after high school. But that doesn't mean I need to hate myself and end it there, I can change, I can educate myself and I can get myself out there quickly if I focus all my time and effort towards self improvement.

If you are in a situation where you are desperately needing to look for hope in yourself, have hope in the knowledge that you can change your circumstance. Take pride in what you have, acknowledge your skills, stop ignoring all the good in your life. Know that you can get back up and you can learn from failing, let your past mistakes empower you not weigh you down. You can forgive yourself if you are willing to take the path of self improvement. You are always capable of being good enough you just haven't learned how, be resourceful and use the full extent of your world to your advantage (ie. internet research, books, mentors etc).

This is what I'm doing now and I've been shooting forwards since March 17 this year. If you make progress every day it will continually make you happier and whatever dream or vision you have of yourself will start to look much brighter. This journey is completely self fulfilling. As you invest more time improving yourself, your concerns for other people's opinions will drop because you won't be living your life to please them, you'll be living your life to please you.

it took many years, but I guess I started forgiving myself after thinking that I was after all pretty average, not an awful person, not an ugly monster, but in the middle of statistical ranges, and other impediments gave the opportunity to learn to do thing little by little, and without jumping into things/relationships/relocations etc and being guided by my expectations/fears, it became more likely to do "the right thing" and after several years of doing 70%, 80% "the right thing" of what I thought was right I started holding myself in some esteem, instead of just wallowing in the misery of just being me. As Zett says, this increase in self esteem comes from doing. Before I was not really making a lot of choices, just getting by. I find making choices makes one feel better, and finding out what one's values are, the things you would die to protect : freedom? animal rights? mcdonald? the right to read books in public? whatever.

somber_radiance said:
After a lot of introspection and meditation, I recently came to the realization that a big part of my feelings of loneliness/emptiness stem from a deep, deep hatred of myself.

All this hatred has been built up from years of disappointments (like constantly falling short of my expectations and personal goals) and that evil inner dialogue (that constantly cycles "I'm not good enough"). So over time, I have grown to hate silence or spending time alone, because it forces me to face the one person I hate the most in the world. Of course it doesn't help that I withdraw socially when I go through bad times, so I end up spending a lot of alone time festering in hate and depression, which only exacerbates things.

I am not sure if you have found the cause of your loneliness/emptiness so much as a symptom of the cause. That sounded somewhat vague and a little weird so let me try and clarify with a couple of questions. By the way, I got my Psych degree from a Cracker Jack box, so the following is strictly a result of my own introspection and not from any formal education.

Where did this self hatred come from? From falling short of your own performances and expectations? Lots of people don't realize their goals and yet do not end up with such feelings (at least not for any prolonged period of time). They keep trying the same thing or they try something else.

I spent a lot of time feeling as you do now, but much soul searching revealed to me the cause as being years of systematic programming from an abusive stepmother and neglectful father. She constantly throughout my childhood beat into me the belief that I am worthless and unwanted. I ended up spending the majority of my adulthood believing those very things, and so I hated myself and I hated life in general. The feelings were the symptom, not the cause. The failure at meeting any self expectations was the result.

I am at the point now where Zett wrote,
You are always capable of being good enough you just haven't learned how, be resourceful and use the full extent of your world to your advantage (ie. internet research, books, mentors etc).

I am just plain too ignorant on how to live a "normal" life (but then, is there really such a thing? :rolleyes: ).

Two other questions. First, are your expectations reasonable? It is possible for a person to set too high a goal for himself, taking into consideration where he presently is in life (knowledge, skills, tools, location, etc.) and so end up not succeeding. Set goals that are within reach. No matter how small they are, you will find success and move on to the next. Eventually, you can grow those expectations.

Second, seeking self forgiveness implies wrongdoing. I completely understand that a person can feel guilty after an acute or chronic trauma that resulted in himself or somebody else being harmed. A person who has done no wrong that caused such a trauma can still feel the need for forgiveness because he feels responsible for the pain. If the actual cause of your pain is not your fault, then you need no forgiveness. I wonder if it is somebody else who needs your forgiveness. I have not forgiven my parents; I probably never will, I don't know. She is now dead and I am visiting and helping him since he is growing aged and it is still the right thing to do. The resentment sits on my back as does the world on Atlas' back. Maybe my ministering to my father can help me let this go.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread. I am going to come back here and reread the posts made by the others so that I can retain some positive thoughts for each day. I wish the best for you and please keep us up to date on how things are progressing. :)

somber_radiance said:

Well... by relying only on the single person that's going to stay with you all your life: YOU.

I don't know about how to forgive yourself, as forgiveness in general is something I struggle with, but in my experience, finding enjoyment in solitude can be about taking that alone time to do things that make you feel better. For me, it was writing out my feelings, surfing nice blogs, and replacing my negative inner monologue with a nicer one when I could (pretend you're talking to a friend, or a small child). As pathetic as it sounds, I would even rub my own arm or shoulder while I said these things to myself, like a friend might, LOLLL. Sounds weird, but it helps, and I still do it.
Basically, self care. Whether that means for you reading a book or taking a walk, or having a nice bath, that's how I came to like being by myself. Listening to music while just laying in bed, etc. If you can't do it on your own and need help, seek it. Soon you feel filled up enough to hang out with others.

Set out small goals instead of big ones and take baby steps.Just make sure you are accomplishing something you want,doesn't matter what it is.

You don't need to forgive yourself.You need to look in the mirror and accept yourself the way you are.

Try to replace the negative thoughts with positive ones or block them out completely.Tell that inner voice to shut the hell up and try to be happy with small things and you'll see that it's not so bad.

Writing helps a lot if you're into it! Pour your heart out!

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” -Martin Luther King

Take baby steps and remember nobody is perfect.We all fail at one point or another.It's how life works.Failing makes you realize your mistakes.It's up to you to make sure you don't make them again =)

BABY STEPS! Lower the bar for a while and see if it works =D Best of luck to you.

Hello Somber Radiance, I know how you feel. I have felt similar feelings much of my life, which have caused me to fall into depression and a sort of slumber many a time. I also meditate and have found that this can lead to bringing up difficult feelings. However, when it comes to feelings of self-hate and disappointment (which I suffer from too) it is better to face them than to suppress them. Feelings that you push down will always come up again. Its not easy, but, slowly, the process of meditation shall aid you in stepping back from these feelings and thoughts. In the end this is all they are, they change from one moment to another, so if you are feeling them coming on, then perhaps simply acknowledge their presence but do not add fuel to their fire. This is the essence of Vipissana meditation, to observe what the mind and body are going through, but to leave it at that. It has helped me begin to see a new path away from the usual patterned behaviour I would engage in, perhaps it may beneficial for you to try :)

Latest posts

Back