New Realizations Leave Me Feeling Isolated... Alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vfa6x

Reaction score
I've recently gotten out of a long term and serious relationship. I'm actually not upset about it ending, we both agreed it was probably best. But after we broke up, I came to a few realizations. The first is I don't have many friends. Many of them have either moved away or simply faded away. I do have a couple of friends in the area still, but while they are good people I often find it hard to respect them. There's no one who I can really relate to, and no one would understand if I tried having this conversation with them.

I go to school and work at a nearby community college. I'm in my late 20s and almost a solid decade older than many people I meet there. It's really hard for me to call just about any of the people I know there my peer. They are all great people, don't get me wrong, but there are a lot of differences, namely in maturity. I feel that the odds of me meeting someone there who I can have a meaningful relationship with, friendship or more, is astronomically low.

I recently joined a dating site for the sole purpose of making new friends... and nothing more. I simply thought it would be a good way to meet new people. While I have made a new friend from it, I feel like that resource is kind of tapped out.

I'm a pretty introverted person, I always have been. I'm not particularly shy, and I'm generally easygoing when it comes to putting myself out there and meeting new people. I don't greatly care what people think of me, and I'm generally proud of who I am and have a fairly high level of confidence. When I say I'm introverted, what I mean is that I tend to recede within myself, especially when I'm stressed or depressed. I also have a tendency to neglect friendships because of this, and have lost a number of good friends over the years because of it.

What I want right now is someone I can spend time with, where we can relate well to each other, understand each other, and enjoy each other's company. I want to be close with someone, where we can be there for each other in bad times and good. I want to hold, and I want to be held. I know what I am describing really sounds like a relationship, but I don't think I want one so soon after my last. I want a truly close friend (or friends), and maybe if something developed from that I'd be okay with it down the road, but that's not my primary goal.

When I think about what I want, and how unlikely it is that I'll find it anytime soon, I get kind of depressed. I feel pretty alone most of the time, and I haven't found a good way to cope with it yet. I'm also not sure how much of it I really understand right now, a lot of what's going through my head are thoughts in progress, so sorry if this all seems somewhat confusing. Because I'm so introverted, my instinct is to just swallow it up and deal with it internally, but I know that's a bad move right now. I'm just not sure what to do, and I'm hoping that by saying something here others might have some insight. I know I wrote kind of a novel, and if you've made it this far then you are a trooper, but if anyone has any input, I'd love to hear it.

Everything you are saying is normal and the wish of many people of all kinds of ages. I have been reading a blog of a single 40 something woman...educated, great job, interesting and her struggle with friendships because of being single, etc. You are not alone in this.

I think it's great how you know exactly what you want. Also I think it was great to go to a dating site to make friends. I think that is a great idea and I bet many of the others would love those kinds of connections as well. IT was funny, that was a topic on the blog I read...how she wanted to meet other women as friends on the dating site but was so worried how it would come across. So many of us want this.

I would say keep trying. Keep going to places where you can meet others. When you have identified someone who maybe a potential friend chit chat with them and extend yourself somewhat. Maybe ask them to tea. For me that is the hardest part. Give them your email. Then you see their response and how enthusiastic they are.

I think finding friends should be just as important as finding a mate. And I see nothing wrong with putting the same effort into it. After all it's a numbers game much like dating.

vfa6x said:
I've recently gotten out of a long term and serious relationship. I'm actually not upset about it ending, we both agreed it was probably best....

I find a special type of weed good to deal with loneliness.

you may lose acquaintances easily. thats ok.
true friends will know what you are going thru.
if you are sad/depressed and neglect to give attention, friends will understand and give you the time/space to cope.
Try to show that you appreciate their thoughtfulness.. being able to communicate that meaningfully will demonstrate it enough.

but if you just want someone to cheer you up, then dont drag a girl into a relationship with you. trust me. its worse.

Thats why I am here... hopefully, I can make some meaningful conversations here.. I miss talking to people... and sharing my brain droppings.

MadMonkè said:
vfa6x said:
I've recently gotten out of a long term and serious relationship. I'm actually not upset about it ending, we both agreed it was probably best....

I find a special type of weed good to deal with loneliness.

you may lose acquaintances easily. thats ok.
true friends will know what you are going thru.
if you are sad/depressed and neglect to give attention, friends will understand and give you the time/space to cope.
Try to show that you appreciate their thoughtfulness.. being able to communicate that meaningfully will demonstrate it enough.

but if you just want someone to cheer you up, then dont drag a girl into a relationship with you. trust me. its worse.

Thats why I am here... hopefully, I can make some meaningful conversations here.. I miss talking to people... and sharing my brain droppings.

Tell us about it in the "Weed" thread in the General Chat section of the Forum, if you have time :)

Wow a lot of this sounds so much like me. Except you explain it a lot better than I do. I feel like I'm in a very similar situation as yourself. I haven't even brought up my binge smoking on my thread.

Latest posts

Back