New Study Links Social Anxiety To Being An Empath

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed your link for you, there was an extra http which wouldn't let the link work.

I skimmed it over, sorry having a hard time keeping my eyes focused now after reading some other stuff and it's getting late here. But yeah I agree with what they had to say.

I think it is generally true, but it is also easy to misread other people. I have learned not to assume too much about the feelings of others.

Thank you Sci-Fi for fixing the link.

Yea someone pointed out that there were discrepancies in the paper. It still provides a bit of insight on SA though

Wondering if there could possibly be a more objective way of testing this?

Hmm. Interesting but not so sure. That people who are socially anxious are sensitive to people's responses is not news. I'd be interested to know more about the methodology of the experiment. According to the link that I followed from the article they used a computerised task, which would probably eliminate any feeling of social anxiety in the test subjects and so make it's conclusions invalid in real world situations. (fresia! I've been reading too many psychology books and I seem to think I'm a ******* professor). But interpreting someone's emotions correctly is one thing, and what those emotions mean (assuming you've read them correctly) to you is a different matter. Much can be lost in translation. Oh I could waffle on but I won't.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
Hmm. Interesting but not so sure. That people who are socially anxious are sensitive to people's responses is not news. I'd be interested to know more about the methodology of the experiment. According to the link that I followed from the article they used a computerised task, which would probably eliminate any feeling of social anxiety in the test subjects and so make it's conclusions invalid in real world situations. (fresia! I've been reading too many psychology books and I seem to think I'm a ******* professor). But interpreting someone's emotions correctly is one thing, and what those emotions mean (assuming you've read them correctly) to you is a different matter. Much can be lost in translation. Oh I could waffle on but I won't.

I used to think I was some sort of super psychic empath, then I realized that I was reading into people's behavior what I wanted to more often than not. Being able to read body language and other non-verbal cues is important, but there is no substitute for honest, direct communication in my mind.

Amthorn said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:

I used to think I was some sort of super psychic empath, then I realized that I was reading into people's behavior what I wanted to more often than not. Being able to read body language and other non-verbal cues is important, but there is no substitute for honest, direct communication in my mind.

Is that possible though. Can you ever really know another person? Do you know who you are? Do they know who they are? The self is a delusion says Buddha and neuroscience. You do read into people's behaviour what you want or expect to see. I expect you to be bored of my pseudo philosophical ramblings, and you're right.

Lishniy Chelovek said:
Amthorn said:
Lishniy Chelovek said:

Is that possible though. Can you ever really know another person? Do you know who you are? Do they know who they are? The self is a delusion says Buddha and neuroscience. You do read into people's behaviour what you want or expect to see. I expect you to be bored of my pseudo philosophical ramblings, and you're right.

That's true, the ego is just a construct we build over our lives, and it fluctuates. What might be true of abperson in one moment may be false in the next. This is especially true of emotions, which are so mercurial as to be unpredictable at best.

As far as knowing the mind of another, we have nothing to go on but our own perceptions and their word. Of course, a solipsistic argument would state that I have no way to prove that you, or anyone else, even exist.

Feel free to bore away. I seldom get to have conversations like this!

Latest posts

Back