No job, no life and alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solivagant said:
Unfortunately, I did internships in college and still ended up screwed. I'm sure it improves one's chances and it can't hurt, but it's not any kind of a guarantee.

I didn't do an internship at the time, because by the time junior year rolled around, I was already having serious doubts about wanting to work in the business world. I found the material boring and most of my classmates the same...they just seemed destined for cubicle mediocrity and were ok with just working all day then flopping down on the couch to watch the big game and drink beer. I didn't want to be like them was thinking of switching majors. In the end though, I determined that it would be too time-consuming and too expensive to start over, so I finished the major but did not get an internship.

Now, after trying to find something else, I've again found that my best shot at making a respectable salary is to go back into the business world. But of course it's the catch-22 of needing experience before you have any experience, so now I'm trying to get an internship through my community college. But even then, you have to get your own internship. It's really frustrating, because I feel like, where can you start? I have no references, contacts, nothing. I wish I could just get an internship somewhere. This summer sucked for the most part, I might as well have worked anyway.

TheSkaFish said:
But of course it's the catch-22 of needing experience before you have any experience, so now I'm trying to get an internship through my community college. But even then, you have to get your own internship. It's really frustrating, because I feel like, where can you start? I have no references, contacts, nothing. I wish I could just get an internship somewhere. This summer sucked for the most part, I might as well have worked anyway.

I actually had the best results by just walking into places I thought I might want to work and asking them if they'd let me do an internship there. (If you're expecting a paid internship though, you'll have a harder time.) If your college has a career services department like most, they may also be able to help you.

African_weasel said:
Degrees have an inflated value these days hence you have to go to school to get a good job. Most of jobs don't even need a degree in order to perform it. The reason why it's like that is because a lot of people are out of a job and needed income and just so happened to have a degree. That that caused the value of a degree to decrease. If we had way better economy those peple would up and leave for a better job.

I don't think it is so much of the degree, but the job experience. When I was looking for an industry job, everyone wanted 3-5 years experience with a degree. Unless you do internships for job experience, you are screwed when you get out of college and looking for a job. I used to stress that you need experience a lot to students I was tutoring in college and working as an industry recruiter.
[/quote]

But why do you need experience to file papers for a secretary job. These days in order to get a high salary job that requires no degree it has to be in entertainment or modeling. Those jobs are Darwinist and if don't know people then you are not even going to make it to the top bottom. I thought about that btw and did some research. It's pretty much shotgunning and you have to spend a little bit of your own money to get started off. And I want to model for European brands big or small it doesn't matter to me.

To Nicolelt

Peaches said:
Canada sounds good :)

Also modeling...

just came across this article

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/...ge_graduates_with_huge_debts_who_live_with_th

That's happening a lot in the USA and unemployment is super high. Most people with degrees are working as waiters and bartenders. Which in turn are making those jobs scarce. Every minimum wage job there is are being taken up by people with degrees and it makes it harder for younger people to find employment.

People need to learn that the high mass of people entering into higher education is making degrees less valuable. Plus the government is funding it which is making to curriculum complete crap and it's not making anybody any smarter. Most people just go just to party and crap... but that's none of my business.

PieBeNice said:
African_weasel said:
Most people with degrees are working as waiters and bartenders.

Most people with arts degrees.

lol
most people with degrees are working as w

ok

yeah

no.
I mean, no. Like.. no.

Do you have ANY back up for this statement? You know you need a degree to be a teacher? To be a librarian? To be a doctor. To be a lawyer. To be a detective. To be a manager, etc et c. Or are you going to tell me that all these people are actually waiters and I'm living in a illusion?

Rainbows said:
PieBeNice said:
African_weasel said:

lol

ok

yeah

no.
I mean, no. Like.. no.

Do you have ANY back up for this statement? You know you need a degree to be a teacher? To be a librarian? To be a doctor. To be a lawyer. To be a detective. To be a manager, etc et c. Or are you going to tell me that all these people are actually waiters and I'm living in a illusion?

You're living in an illusion.

PieBeNice said:
Rainbows said:
PieBeNice said:
African_weasel said:

lol

ok

yeah

no.
I mean, no. Like.. no.

So that's why we're married..

Rainbows said:
PieBeNice said:
Rainbows said:
PieBeNice said:
African_weasel said:

lol

ok

yeah

no.
I mean, no. Like.. no.

So that's why we're married..

Yes, husband. That is why we're married.

Not just arts degrees, but people with doctorates and MBA's the are working minimum wage jobs. Meanwhile at home I'm isolated, and I don't drive so I can't get out and about. I feel like I have absolutely no control of my life and that my life happens on someone else time and not mine. When I do gain some control like buying a car they are not going to help me pay for it but will do the same for another person. It's like all they do is out up road blocks because they know I will never speak with them again when I'm gone. And I will not speak to them when I'm gone and living in Ohio.To sum it all up, they don't want me to drive, they don't want me to lose weight, and they don't want me to have a life of my own.

Latest posts

Back