Police - Good or Bad for Society?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
There is huge gaps between people and their thoughts of the police and how effective they really are. Some say police do nothing to prevent crime and are just there to give traffic tickets and enforce their "superiority ego". Some say that they are useless: if a thief enters your home, the police arrive in 5-10 minutes, enough time for the thief to steal and get away. Some say that they are corrupt, bully innocent people with their legal power, and such.

My opinion is that all of that is bullshit. If it weren't for the police or detectives, society would all be in a honeysuckle situation right now.

Discuss.

I believe the police are not only good for society, but essential as well. Without police, it would be anarchy in the truest sense of the word. I'm glad we have them. Sadly, there is some corruption in all forms of law enforcement.

Conflicted. They are necessary, but my personal encounters with them have been disappointing.

If you think it's all "bullshit", pray that you are never in a situation where you need their guidance, protection, or help.
Otherwise, you might be in for a rude-awakening.

@ LoneKiller - Agreed, because there is one bad apple, doesn't mean all of them are.

@ Ox Blood - Also agreed, I feel safe knowing that whatever problem I may have, I can always call 911 and they'll risk their life for me. I mean come on, I don't understand how some people can call police "useless". They put their life on the line every single day!

Guilty of calling them useless. In my situation, they were absolutely useless and demeaning. Does this mean I think all of the are? Not really. Even if I may say so out of frustration/anger... Which is why most that refer to them as being "useless, bullies, ********", etc, have had bad encounters with them.

I don't think they're useless. Come on imagine if there was no cops. Now annoying yes what's the big deal if I wanna go 90 mph in a 35. There's no one else on the road I don't need to pay $125 I didn't hurt anyone

if you get arrested and they are handling you too rough YOU CANNOT RESIST, or you'll get charged with resisting arrest. Police officers can basically beat you up because of this.

Also police officers sometimes plant drugs so they can arrest people or they make up charges. Who are the judges going to believe? Them? Or you?

If you ever get arrested DO NOT TALK TO THE COPS. Everything you say to them (and I do mean everything) goes directly into the hands of the DA (prosecution) so every time you open your bloody mouth, you are helping a case be formed against you to put you in jail. Here is what you should say "I understand my rights and wish to remain silent. I would like a lawyer."

Also, while in interrogation police can lie to you. Its totally permissible under their interrogation guidelines and they can and DO regularly do this while trying to get a confession out of you.

Ox Blood said:
Conflicted. They are necessary, but my personal encounters with them have been disappointing.

If you think it's all "bullshit", pray that you are never in a situation where you need their guidance, protection, or help.
Otherwise, you might be in for a rude-awakening.

Ox I had a dissapointing encounter as well. I left my facebook logged in on a library computer at school, someone got onto it and started changing my profile and then they messaged me posing as a friend, and asked me to drop off some money in a location on campus.

After regaining control of my account, I went to the campus police to file a report because the person obviously tried to trick me into giving him my money. The officer that took my report seemed to think that I was conflating things, giving me a look like "you're wasting my time."

It really bothered me that I was treated like that.

With the background I have most would think I'd be anti-cop but I'm not. Their presence is a necessity in our society- most would have no idea how to cope without that thin veil of protection that curtails total anarchy. Not all cops are honest and not all are dishonest- I think the good far outnumber the evil. Considering who they deal with for the most part it shouldn't come as a surprise that they have to resort to "questionable tactics" at times to do their job.

Latest posts

Back