prop 8 is unconstitution and makes me ashamed to be an american

• Thread starter evanescencefan91
  • Start date
Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't they make it so that the church can't marry gays and the state can? You know, to keep those things separate... as was intended.

the reason why it was ridiculous it was

they got their rights in the constitution already... and we are taking it away??...i hope this just doesnt happen again. people stripping away others rights that are already there.
heterosexual marriages dont work out all the time
The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60%
The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%
just an example, suppose lets make divorce ILLEGAL for christians and catholics. its the religion, GOD condemned divorce as well. its the tradition and its great for the community. millions of children are suffering because of divorce. creates gang, underage pregnancy,drug problem, poverty,.. so many problems comes with divorce.
why dont we do that? wait a mintute, thats messed up right? because its other people's business and they can divorce however they want. its a RIGHT that people should get...its WRONG to mkae divorce illegal for people. and the feds, made divorce legal for all americans in the 60's or something. prop 8 is just as ridiculous as the example i just gave. stripping away people's basic rights, which they already have..

parents teach kids the rights and the wrongs, not the society. dont count on society to teach whats good and bad, its up to YOU.

bah im not even gay, really doesnt matter to me, but this is still fundamentally wrong. we let the mass to decide whats right and wrong when it should depend on the individual, basic human rights and COMPASSION. I also wanted PROP 5 to be pass, it failed misably...

there are some really basic fundamental human rights we should get not as americans but as human beings, but not getting because of other peoples opinion... isnt that messed up?

prop 8 is messed up because we took away people's rights they already have. i just hope the similar things dont happen next time. ill bet they are going to completly illegalize medical marijuana next, make execution mandatory, or why dont we make a law that kills all AIDS patient?(its a joke please get it) then im going to be so pissed.

freedom? i think not.
i still like america tho. maybe il move to europ or asia when i get my honeysuckle done.

See unacceptance thats the problem.... If the state was to be its own judge, without the moral principles of the chruch (im personally agnostic, but acknowledge the role of christianity in America) then things that even you and i would probaby have a problem with would also have to be accepted by the state. Only when the majority of people are willing to accept and bless and idea will anything be passed by law in our country.

Would any state government acknowledge "the Department of legalizing rape" or "GTFO muslim-americans because you scare me act?" Of course not, the vast majority of america do not accept those ideas (but im sure there are some that do, esp. the muslim one).

Just be glad that we have to only deal with prolife/prochoice and creationism for schools.

The whole ban on gay marriage i think is a step backwards for humankind but i really do think we will take a step forward in a few years when we're ready (mainly for those older homopohbic folks to pass away : / )

eviloreo said:
"GTFO muslim-americans because you scare me act?" Of course not

We called that the Patriot Act.

I agree with you on things working how they are supposed to, but that is my problem to begin with.

Tyranny of a multitude is tyranny multiplied...

Funny how the whole separation of church and state thing is a farce. Something that was supposed to be based on a principle (Utilitarianism) is instead forcefully stuffed into dogmatic belief. **** Christians....

I have a theory on why gay marrige is meeting so much popular opposition. I think it's sort of a class thing. As antihero pointed out, a lot of black voters were against it and indeed a black lady I was working with over the summer (she was a bit of a Christian fanatic with a few marbles loose*) thought it was nonesense that the fight for equal marrige rights for gays was being equated with the civil rights movement of the 50s & 60s. To the rest of us it just doesn't seem that gay people are really all that oppressed: gay neighborhoods like the Castro district in San Francisco and the West Village in NYC are very affluent and gentrified. Perhaps if these neighborhoods were ghettos, gays would elicit a greater show of solidarity from the rest of the population?

*Alright, let me describe this nutjob I worked with. When she wasn't talking about religion she was as sweet as pie and pretty clever actually. But (and boy oh boy what a but!) she thought she had prophetic dreams. In one of them she thought that NYC was going to be destroyed soon ala Sodom and Gomorrah and that "God was getting His people out." Which naturally led me to wonder "well, if God is evacuating "His people" what the fresia are you still doing here then? Guess God wants to see some sulfur rain down on your ass, eh?"

Antihero said:
Oh, and for what it is worth I foresee no problems for a gay marriage ban passing in South Dakota.

Huh what ever did happen with that?

The [South Dakota] state Senate on Monday approved the proposed amendment banning gay marriage for placement on the 2006 general election ballot. The vote was 20-14. The House passed the legislative resolution earlier, 55-14.

I think gay marriage is just another one of those issues politicians make a big fuss over so that we're worrying about something else irrelevant like Football or voting talent shows. As it's just about as pointless. If you have a problem with same sex marriage, do not marry a person of the same sex. Problem solved.

Unacceptance said:
If you have a problem with same sex marriage, do not marry a person of the same sex. Problem solved.

Wouldn't it seem that those that wish to legislate their religious or moral beliefs would not feel that ignoring what they see as a problem to be the same thing as 'solving' it?

Minus said:
Unacceptance said:
If you have a problem with same sex marriage, do not marry a person of the same sex. Problem solved.

Wouldn't it seem that those that wish to legislate their religious or moral beliefs would not feel that ignoring what they see as a problem to be the same thing as 'solving' it?

Yes, but they are wrong. Incorrect. The opposite of right. Since the issue still exists. Furthermore if they were truly ignoring the issue, they would not care if there is same sex marriage or not.

Ignorance is not the solution to anything. (Except maybe on a crossword)

Unacceptance said:

Unacceptance said:
Yes, but they are wrong. Incorrect. The opposite of right. Since the issue still exists. Furthermore if they were truly ignoring the issue, they would not care if there is same sex marriage or not.

So you weren't talking about "solving" the problem for those that see it as a problem. I would agree that they are wrong but i can't agree that them not getting into a same sex marriage is going make them ignore what they see as a moral issue. It would be nice but it doesn't work that way.

Minus said:
Unacceptance said:

Unacceptance said:

So you weren't talking about "solving" the problem for those that see it as a problem. I would agree that they are wrong but i can't agree that them not getting into a same sex marriage is going make them ignore what they see as a moral issue. It would be nice but it doesn't work that way.

It's not actually a problem for them. It's actually not a problem at all. It's almost a paradox. Since it doesn't affect them, it's not a problem for them, unless they were to somehow be forced into a same sex marriage. It shouldn't be in their sphere of existence at all really. It's not like one of those things that is somehow going to get worst and eventually affect them (Like say, if we ignored an unfair justice system that I could one day be on the brunt end of, or ignored say unsafe manufacturing standards of products which I could one day buy and be mutilated from) Oh no gay people are marrying...and yet here I am still living my life not being affected in anyway by some folks I don't know being wed...

It's hypocrites like this who makes me proud that Californians have stood their ground and voted twice to define marriage between a man and a woman.

Tolerance, right? :club:

evanescencefan91 said:
(a bit of a rant forgive me)

At no point in this childish temper tantrum did you attempt to prove how Proposition 8 is unconstitutional.

yikes,

i do have to agree there that violence never sovles anything, unless it's fictional or made of bits of data in which case you can expect bonus points and extra levels unlocked

i wasn't expecting everyone to have the same reaction, and i'm glad you weren't offensive or anything so thankyou for being respectful newmanium.

however you can't just take a few extemists and say that all homosexuals are church hating radical arsenonists. There are passive prtotesters and extremsits on each side of an arguement. There have been many hate crimes against homosexuals in fact there has actually been an increase of hate crimes against gays and bisexuals over the last five years. People have been beaten and even killed just becuase they were differnt. So please don't act like your side isn't without it's radicals.

Keep in mind the gay communitee was very upset and of course they're going to be angry.
We were just talking on another thread about how you should never threat physical violence on anyone. But sometimes it just comes out. Once when i was in eighth grade i got in trouble for trouble for that. :(

I just hope that you read some of the main points of my rant. It's really not that big deal. One time a kid in my japaneses class got really upset becuase the rest of our class was pretty liberal. He said that he was the only person with any set of moral standards or values, and then he went on to say i was a vampire worshipper. That kinda hurt.
( i know you didn't say anything but just incase you were thinking)

i don't want people to think that just becuase i am tolerant of gays and want to have gay marraige in america doesn't mean that i don't have any idea of moral conduct. I care for people (although sometimes not found of them) And i want to help people. And i don't worship vampires ( i just think they're smexy XD)

Anyways, it's just a small thing, and if you compramised and just give them some rights. Just think how happy that would make them. If you could just give up ( idon't know what to call it, a tic?) you would really be helping people.

And i believe the best way to serve God is to serve mankind.

I gotta disagree wth the "Violence doesn't solve anything" cliche by retorting with another quote.

"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem." Joseph Stalin

what you call a childish temper tantrum, i call a cathartic diatribe

XD

also children (if raised in healthy home enviroment) don't know as many swear words XD

which ya i'll admit the f bombs aren't very mature ( i'm still young give me time) i was hurting and they felt needed.

Death solves all problems - no man, no problem." Joseph Stalin

lol nice, and that makes me remember when we learned about WWII in 10th grade.

if someone is planning a mass genocide and world domination you shouldn't wait around for something bad to happen. Or for things to get worse.

Read.

California Family Code: Section 297

297.5. (a) Registered domestic partners shall have the same rights,
protections, and benefits, and shall be subject to the same
responsibilities, obligations, and duties under law, whether they
derive from statutes, administrative regulations, court rules,
government policies, common law, or any other provisions or sources
of law, as are granted to and imposed upon spouses.

Latest posts

Back