R.I.P (Common Sense)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darkwall said:
@ Stella:

The death penalty is a vile thing, and should never be let back in. What, so Chris Langham should be put to death for looking at a photograph? He served his time, and it was the appropriate sentence. I love how the conservatives in this country think jail is a slap on the wrists: for anyone behind bars, particularly a paedophile, it is a living hell.

It is ridiculous to say that rapists should get the death penalty. Apart from the fact that rape is the hardest to substantiate of almost every serious crime, it is illogical to say that someone who forcibly has sex with someone deserves to die. The punishment should fit the crime, not the force of your feelings about it. Even mass murderers - if we kill them, we're descending to their level.

The stocks were barbaric. The death penalty is indefensible. You might say that not killing someone amounts to a slap on the wrist, but what it does mean is that at least we're always on the right side. Criminals are humans, and humans have the capacity to learn from their mistakes - it might sound unbelievable to you, but a lot of murderers and rapists do join the church and spend the rest of their lives regretting their actions. To deny them the right to change is to undermine the rights that we ourselves live by.

Chris langham wasn't just looking at pictures. He was looking at abused children being violated and tortured. In my opinion, he still hasn't even begun his time.

Although I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying, lets not use christianity as a way of saying "they changed". Its the most shallow of all religion, people believing that if they repent in time then their souls will be saved.

Oh and at one point your suggesting we should rape rapists right? "the punishment should fit the crime?". only joking buddy.

Also- Did you know its acutely something like 10X moor expansive to convect someone to the death penalty then to keep them locked up for the rest of there lives. Cos of the red tape crap.

And if on the day of the killing there ill with a cold or something then it has to be prosponed> I mean what ever is that honeysuckle all about. You have to be healthy to be killed? You tell me where the Common Sense in that is.

About mouthwash - where I live people do drink it to get drunk. Stores are warned to not sell mouthwash to people who look like they may be a substance abuser. How does staff decide who is and isn't an abuser - that I don't know.

The McDonald's hot coffee case is a pet peeve of mine. My first thought when I heard of the settlement was "that's nuts. someone spills coffee on herself and gets money..."

Later, I read a newspaper article about why she got the settlement and it made sense to me.

According to the article:
McDonald's was keeping the coffee at a dangerously high temperature. Even though they had research reports stating that the temperature was too high, they continued to do so. McDonald's knowlingly put staff and customers at risk.

I've only ever lightly burned/scalded myself and it hurt like hell. I hope I never experience 3rd degree burns.

Latest posts

Back