Rom-Coms make me wanna jump off a bridge! How about you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay this is getting out of hand. Calm down, try to act civil and knock off the name calling.

altghost said:
kamya said:
They are either.

1) Man fucks up, woman leaves him, man changes, woman forgives him, they get together, end.
2) Man is perfect, woman is messed up, man has the patience and forgiveness of a god, woman realizes her mistake, they get together, end.

Don't forget the couple must be extremely attractive.

This, completely -.-

And of course, there's the whole 'misunderstanding' device, which apparently says that if you meet someone and he acts like a total ******, you have just met THE ONE ( buried under that cocky, bullshit exterior, but still. )

Wow I have to agree.
I still don't know why they cheer me up at times. I guess its that bit of hope they offer.

^ Agreed. Some of them cheer me up a bit, but sometimes they are just so silly and impossible. So many of them just are not at all what real women are like or what real women actually want.

It helps to regards the silly ones as belonging to the Fantasy genre of filmmaking. In reality, the average playboy-type idiot man is as likely to turn into Mr Wonderful as a real teenage boy is to turn into a superhero who can fly. In Fantasy movies, anything is possible, even that Mr Idiot can change.

Badjedidude said:
ladyforsaken said:
Really? Even if she appears totally your type, all great and good, but she has a personal interest in rom-coms. You still won't take her seriously? Everyone has some type of a guilty pleasure, right? Maybe this could be hers... what would you think of her?

I think you misunderstand me.

I have my own silly quirks when it comes to movies, believe me. :p I wasn't talking about watching them as a simple mindless pleasure or for the comedy or because one is bored.

When I say "...deeply enjoys rom-coms" and "I can't take her seriously," what I'm talking about is a woman who thinks that romantic comedies actually represent any sort of real, healthy, workable concept of love. Because they don't. I'm talking about the sort of woman who watches the "Sex in the City" movie(s) (or show) and takes it as relationship advice or an example of anything even approaching emotional or psychological stability.

Perhaps my own concept of love is stilted and immature. But when I watch these movies, I always find that what they're portraying is obsession, infatuation, mindless lust, and emotional dependence -- all cleverly hidden behind flowery gestures and words which have specifically been selected to cause this type of woman to swoon. The goals the characters in the movies have are just... just so ridiculously shallow and unrealistic, yet they are rewarded for it by achieving them.

Believe me, I understand the problems of trying to cram a deep, mature romance story into a one-and-a-half hour run time.

That's what I mean when I say I couldn't be with a woman who took the movies seriously. If she watches them for laughs or just for enjoyment, then that's fine; I'd have no problem with it.

But the type of woman who takes these movies as gospel truth when it comes to romance and relationships... I'm going to run for the ******* hills.

All right, I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining that, I was just curious really.

Locke said:
The only case you have is that you're able to pull bullshit out of thin air any time you want. I won't get into much into why that's so idiotic, I'm sure you need to go give someone permission to add friends on Facebook, like you did in another thread. That's just the kind of dumbass stuff you do around here, right? How very sad for you. My problem is that your first post was a pointless generalization. But if you're so shallow and simple-minded that you want to judge people on the movies they watch, even though there are only a few who take movies that seriously, be my guest. Most people would realize how ******* stupid that is, but I guess you're "special", aren't you?

"I won't date a woman who likes chocolate ice cream! Wahhh!"

Lol, as if a guy like you has to worry about dating. However low your standards are, you're going to have to lower them a lot further (as in borrow money from your parents so you can pay a woman to go out with you). You've been here for around 4 or 5 years now, right? Lol, just wait another 4 or 5 years. You'll still be right here making dumb ass statements about women who you'll never meet. I'd feel sorry for you if I didn't think you deserved it.

Think about what I've said tonight while you're hugging your pillow and saying "I'm okay being alone, I'm okay being alone..." over and over again. For now on when I think of what a loser really is, I'll think of you. Enjoy your pathetic life of solitude, little man.

I can see that trying to have a decent, calm discussion with you is pointless. See, the problem isn't that you disagree with me.

The problem is that you seem so angry and bitter about it and you resort to personal attacks rather than attempting to discuss things rationally and logically. I'm still uncertain as to why this is such a huge personal interest for you or why you seem to have taken personal offense at what I've said regarding one teeny, tiny personal standard of dating that I've openly admitted as being a remote possibility of ever occurring.

It's really unfortunate. I feel that if you'd been less aggressive and if you'd approached this all calmly and hadn't seemingly taken personal offense at things, I feel as though we could have had a constructive discussion. It's too bad, really.

I think the only thing I can do now is to disengage and hope that we could return to the subject at some point when heads are cooler.

ladyforsaken said:
All right, I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining that, I was just curious really.

No problem.

Despite everything else that's gone on in this thread, I really wanted to avoid people thinking that I was painting with a wide brush. I never thought it would be such a controversial thing to say that I would rather avoid a woman who takes that type of movie as advice/instruction, but...

...well, there it is. :p

Badjedidude said:
ladyforsaken said:

No problem.

Despite everything else that's gone on in this thread, I really wanted to avoid people thinking that I was painting with a wide brush. I never thought it would be such a controversial thing to say that I would rather avoid a woman who takes that type of movie as advice/instruction, but...

...well, there it is. :p

Yeah.. but I understand your point of view, cos I've met this girl once.. who just does that, she even seriously thinks she is going to be a princess, cos a prince from somewhere is going to find her some day etc etc etc... and she's damned determined it will happen so she's waiting for it. I didn't know what to say to that when she told me all that. I bet the guys who end up declaring their love for her will have to go through the "prince" screening. And if he's not a prince to her.... she'd turn away. :S

Honestly I skipped all the bickering that went on here.. I'm not up to reading negativity at the moment but I hope it's over.

Edit: P.S. Did I mention she was dead serious about the whole becoming a princess because a prince is going to find her and marry her thing? She was dead serious.

(Then again, anything is possible.. but the idea of it just seems so... far-fetched. No offense.. to anyone..)

ladyforsaken said:
Yeah.. but I understand your point of view, cos I've met this girl once.. who just does that, she even seriously thinks she is going to be a princess, cos a prince from somewhere is going to find her some day etc etc etc... and she's damned determined it will happen so she's waiting for it. I didn't know what to say to that when she told me all that. I bet the guys who end up declaring their love for her will have to go through the "prince" screening. And if he's not a prince to her.... she'd turn away. :S

Exactly!

There are some who end up holding to that sort of view of dating/relationships. And... well... I'm not a prince, so... :p

^ I actually knew somebody once who really did have a prince come and find her and marry her .... Seriously, no joke.

She really was a princess, as her husband had a hereditary title that can be passed down to the kids. Her father disapproved because the guy had no money at all (the family were numerous and his branch left everything behind when Facists took over their country of origin). So they eloped - she hiked across the fields with a small case and 'escaped' on his motorbike...

She was a lovely person, 20 years older than me and I counted her a friend. She died of cancer before I moved to France.

Oh yes - her marriage to him didn't last, as he found a 'younger model' and went on to have a 2nd family with her. Maybe there is a moral there?

Badjedidude said:
^^^Now that sounds like a movie plot! :p

I know, but it is absolutely true. After the divorce she kept the title. If we met up for a meal she always made the reservations because 'being a Princess can come in handy for making bookings.' She was certainly right about that lol:D

SofiasMami said:
My first thought was that romantic comedies make me throw up a little in my mouth.
But I like There's Something About Mary - is that a romantic comedy? :D. The 40 Year Old Virgin was good too.

My idea of a romantic movie with a great storyline is more along the lines of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

-Teresa

This is the best post in this thread.

As for BJD's comment, I kinda agree with it, but in the same way I said a person being a vegetarian is a deal-breaker for me in the other thread. It's not actually a deal-breaker, more (if I'm being very extreme/critical) a turn off, or just something to poke fun at. What's more important for me is the ability to crack jokes and laugh at/with each other; "You ******* vegetarian with your honeysuckle taste in films! :p" And likewise I want to be getting as good as I give. Excuse me one moment while I update my OKcupid profile with "looking for someone to torment/be tormented by".

ladyforsaken said:
Really? Even if she appears totally your type, all great and good, but she has a personal interest in rom-coms. You still won't take her seriously? Everyone has some type of a guilty pleasure, right? Maybe this could be hers... what would you think of her?

"Guilty Pleasure" implies they are at least aware that what they are watching is honeysuckle, and that's a good thing in my book! The ability to enjoy a piece of media and recognise how stupid it is is an admirable trait, although yes some typical rom-coms are actually fairly decent in terms of acting, writing, etc...
Liking rom-coms doesn't necessarily make you an airhead, but let's be honest, they are kinda air-heady, if you know what I mean. Not every film I watch has to be some philosophical, gritty, art-house head-fresia, but it does concern me a bit when a person doesn't at least appreciate the finer arts.

I don't enjoy them anymore but I too thought Sleepless in Seattle was quite cute, but maybe that's just because I always had a schoolboy crush on Sandra Bullock! About a Boy was alright too.

^Painters Radio
I don't enjoy them anymore but I too thought Sleepless in Seattle was quite cute, but maybe that's just because I always had a schoolboy crush on Sandra Bullock!.

Kind of a pity for you that Sandra Bullock wasn't in that movie, then!:p

Ahaaaa yes I am dumb, I was thinking of While You Were Sleeping. Hey don't laugh at me, they both have the word "sleep" in them. Maybe that's what I should go and do right now, before I embarrass myself further.

I don't ever really watch them. I don't mind and actually sort of like a love story within what I do like to watch, but I don't really watch anything where that is the main/entire premise of the story.

painter said:
"Guilty Pleasure" implies they are at least aware that what they are watching is honeysuckle, and that's a good thing in my book! The ability to enjoy a piece of media and recognise how stupid it is is an admirable trait, although yes some typical rom-coms are actually fairly decent in terms of acting, writing, etc...

I think this is possibly the smartest point we've had so far. I can think of a few guilty pleasures of my own. Thumbs up! And don't worry about seeing Sandra Bullock everywhere... it happens when you have a crush :p

I can take 'em or leave 'em. Once in awhile I'll watch them, most times I'd rather watch something else, depends on the movie and my mood.

I knew a guy who loved rom-coms and quoted them all the time. People enjoy all sorts of crappy entertainment, there's nothing different about rom-coms. If they bother you that much, I think you're taking them too seriously.

They're the equivalent of a pizza or burger and milkshake. Most of the time I've got no interest, but every now and then (especially if I'm hungover) I like to lay back and watch two pretty people spend 90 minutes pretending they're not gonna get together at the end.

Latest posts

Back