social experiment #42

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaan

Reaction score
They say "you live, you learn", well today I learnt about the negative effects of attention seeking.
Some of you reading this already know of my tendency to try and get attention, well this behavior of mine is not restricted to chat rooms. The desire to show off led my face to make the rather brutal acquaintance with a chair, resulting in the loss of skin tissue, blood and pride. A few laughs and a mild concussion later here I am, again, partially hoping the irony of this post is not lost... Well you live, you learn... or not.

Nothing. I went straight home after that, a few concerned people asked what happened then life went on like normal. No longer matter, end of term, wont see my class mates until September and by then it will all be forgotten.

I usually try not to seek attention. It only makes people think negatively of you I think.

Sorry barb, I was off celebrating the end of my school year. but now I am back home alone.
As a matter of fact I am trying to connect but its not letting me...

slaan said:
Sorry barb, I was off celebrating the end of my school year. but now I am back home alone.
As a matter of fact I am trying to connect but its not letting me...

Well, it seems as though you've found your way in.

SophiaGrace said:
I usually try not to seek attention. It only makes people think negatively of you I think.
How come? Drawing attention requires some social skills to handle the expectations of the people that are giving you that attention, because no one wants to get their time wasted. There's nothing bad in seeking attention if you can "entertain" people or make worth the time that they're spending onto giving you that attention.

There's nothing wrong with wanting people to pay attention to you every now and then. Just don't hurt yourself or anyone else in the process. Hope you are feeling better, Slaan.

Liam said:
SophiaGrace said:
How come? Drawing attention requires some social skills to handle the expectations of the people that are giving you that attention, because no one wants to get their time wasted. There's nothing bad in seeking attention if you can "entertain" people or make worth the time that they're spending onto giving you that attention.

Yes I agree, it is what pushes some of us to always try harder and to get better. A fun thing I noticed among artists actually; the more their need for recognition and attention is great, the better they get at what they do. There are obviously exceptions, in fact I doubt this is the way of functioning of most artist, but I know some.
Also noticed this tendency among the numerous social sub cultures such as the hipsters, the goths and even certain chavs(not saying these groups in particular, just sitting them as examples of what i mean by sub cultures).

As someone who was a class clown when I was younger, it doesn't make you that popular. And once you turn it off, you're no longer that popular.

It's much better to just be yourself. If that is someone goofy and outrageous, then that's good. Otherwise, just be who you are.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
As someone who was a class clown when I was younger, it doesn't make you that popular. And once you turn it off, you're no longer that popular.

It's much better to just be yourself. If that is someone goofy and outrageous, then that's good. Otherwise, just be who you are.

Yea, that is a hard one. First of all, how am I not myself? Secondly who am I? Am I the shy guy sitting in the back of the class like I use to when I was young, or am I that outrageous character doing a handstand on a chair? Sure the crazy me knows more people, but i am pretty sure the shy guy had more friends... Great thanks... you freaking tossed me into an identity crisis.

Latest posts

Back