Speech impediments

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

licorice

Reaction score
Do you have or did you have one? How has it affected you?

I had a mild speech impediment as a child, and I think that contributed to fears of people. When my speech therapist would replay my lessons for me on tape, I even thought my own voice sounded so different from other children. Despite that, my elementary school music teacher often complimented my voice and drew attention to me in class.

This is something I'm only recently conquering, though my speech has been normal for quite some time. I've been considering taking singing lessons and using my voice again. :)

not to get off topic.. but this sounds more like.. talent (lack of) for singing than speech impediments...

im glad you are singing again! i for one cant.. my vocal cords are just bad.. my range is like.. an octave and half. im not tone deaf though! my body (vocal cords) just cant do it =(

Not that I know of, but sometimes I have problems getting words out or stutter a bit. Sometimes when I've done that with "friends" they'll poke fun at me. It doesn't bother me much, when I start talking I'm like the energizer bunny. My stutters or trouble getting words out have seem to gotten a little worse over the past several years but I think it might have something to do with my self confidence when talking to people. It really hasn't affected my life much on a whole.

Regumika said:
not to get off topic.. but this sounds more like.. talent (lack of) for singing than speech impediments...

im glad you are singing again! i for one cant.. my vocal cords are just bad.. my range is like.. an octave and half. im not tone deaf though! my body (vocal cords) just cant do it =(

Not being able to pronounce your "r" or "s" correctly is a speech impediment. My music teacher drew attention to me because he liked my voice. There are no speech therapists for those who are off-pitch, I'm afraid. :p

sorry i missed the speech therapist part..

good to hear that youre improving your talents! im articulate, but cant sing at all =(

Since having a brain aneurysm last year I still occasionally get words mixed up. The other week I said thermometer for tape measure. Is this a speech impediment?

I think having a speech impediment contributed in part to my fears as well. Been stuttering since I was five. I hated having to read aloud in class or introduce myself to new people. I've had people hang up on me when i tried talking on the phone or order pizza.

I would say that my stutter is only half as bad now than when I was growing up but it still affects me in ways. For example, a woman walked by said "Hello" and I couldn't even respond before she walked away because I was stuck on the letter H.

HollowMan said:
I think having a speech impediment contributed in part to my fears as well. Been stuttering since I was five. I hated having to read aloud in class or introduce myself to new people. I've had people hang up on me when i tried talking on the phone or order pizza.

I would say that my stutter is only half as bad now than when I was growing up but it still affects me in ways. For example, a woman walked by said "Hello" and I couldn't even respond before she walked away because I was stuck on the letter H.

The worst part about reading in front of a class was that there was no tactful way to request that you not have to without telling everyone in the class why. Toss-up between everyone knowing for sure that something is wrong with your speech, or going up there and gambling on being able to get through a page or two without thtutterwing owr theeming thilly.

Hollowman-if someone says hello to you in the street again, just give a nice friendly smile back and a wave of your hand.

I had a learning disability, and would often say words wrong. Not say the wrong words, but I would constantly mispronounce words...especially if they are big. My sister once said that I had the mind of a professor, but my mouth won't cooperate.

It's frustrating, because many times out in public, I have to correct myself. I've had some pretty embarrassing slipups.

i have a lisp thats not too noticeable until i use words with a "th" sound like "the" "death" "this" etc. i cant explain it but my tongue slips through my teeth. i remember when i was younger i had made a new friend in the courtyard before school started and she immediately said out loud "why are you talking like that? why does your mouth do that?" i was sad and confused, but thinking back now kids dont really think before saying things haha. now and days people will just ignore it or ive had some friends comment on it but say its "cute" ._.

Dyslexia runs through my father's side of the family. He had a hard time reading and spelling. It wasn't that bad in him, and it's milder in me... but one of the ways in which it affects me is that I stutter some of the time. Combining that with English being my second language definitely affected my ability to interact with others when I was younger. I'm kind of glad, though, that I wasn't aware of the Dyslexia until a few years ago. I think it made me push myself harder than I would have if I'd known.

Latest posts

Back