Surviving attack of the zombies

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Ladysphinx

Since there are many zombie "fans" this thread is created so that we can stragetize how to prepare, cope and survive the day when zombies will over run the world. Every one that loves zombies will admit that they have spend time pondering on this.

My strategy for surviving the zombie hordes is sort of layered in with my overarching survival strategy for when the world goes to honeysuckle and I have to get the heck out of dodge.

Basically I'm putting together a three tier survival kit, starting with a basic 24-72 hour 'constant carry' kit about the size of an altoids tin, excluding the Leatherman Tool and pen light I always have on me. In this you want means of water collection/decontamination (chlorine tabs and a plastic bag container), a way to gather food (fishing hooks and line), make fire, and some sort of shelter. A length of parachute cord and a black trash bag suffice for this as a last resort, which is what the kit is. You also have a tiny copy of the plant edibility test. Actually, you can check it out here, it's a really fun project: http://www.survival.com/best.htm

After that is a 'Bailout Bag', which will be in my car at all times, containing supplies for a somewhat prolonged survival period and tools to be able to survive a bit longer. This includes more formidable shelter, basic tools (camp axe, shovel), more ways to get food (snare wire, a firearm where legal, a proper plant ID book), and a sufficient supply of ready-made food.

These two things are actually incredibly pertinent for ANY person to have, regardless of their opinions on doomsday. You could be out hiking and get lost/separated or injured. You could get stranded in the middle of a road trip. And as we've seen in New Orleans and many other places, natural disasters occur which necessitate not only survival capability, but -mobile- survival capability. More on that in a minute.

The final layer of my survival equipment is the 'INCH' Bag, or 'Im Never Coming Home' Bag. This is a larger supplement containing proper clothing, a few more tools and reference materials for long-term self sufficiency, additional rations, ammunition, and more redundancy; Two is One, One is None. It will also contain a hearty tent and sub-zero sleeping bag and an adequate first-aid kit; thank you, ambulance service, for being so zealous about pulling expired equipment off of the ambulance and not caring what happens to it :p Finally, I'll have a few devices to make life easier and more bearable, ie an mp3 player, rechargable flashlights etc., and a solar battery charger with spare rechargable batteries. Ideally, money allowing, I'll have a FLIR camera (Forward Looking Infrared), which will help level the playing field against....anybody else with high tech equipment who wants to hunt me down. *cough* :D

On top of all of this, it's a good idea to have some backup copies of 'who you are' on a thumb drive safely socked away. ID documents, licenses and certifications, diplomas, photos, all of it. You may need to prove it some day. I'll have one of these as well as a small stock of barterables, ie silver and salt, as room and weight allow.

My actual strategy, for any survival situation, is to be very mobile. I am not against taking refuge somewhere, in fact against zombies I would be more willing to hole up than against a more sentient force. But my criteria for abandoning shelter is extremely liberal :p IE, if I know that the town 20 miles south has just been infected (or invaded by an armed force), Brian is packing his rifle and going cross country. I'm probably not waiting for the first zombie or Commie Invaders to traipse up my driveway. Traffic permitting, I will take my car as far North and East as possible, hide it on some back mountain road or clearing, and ditch it. From there I will put as much distance as I can between myself and civilization. I'll establish a camp site and begin gathering food. Hopefully, before the first winter, I will have a more permanent shelter built. My main idea is to dig in to a well-drained, well-concealed mountainside and do my best to conceal the entrance. This will provide adequate insulation from the elements, yet should hopefully conceal my visual and thermal signatures from observing hostiles.

Something I'd like to toy with after I get all my gear taken care of is the idea of buried supply caches, and the idea of international refuge arrangements. I'm a few days hike from the Canadian border. I'd seriously like to meet a woman in Canada to have an arranged 'immigration marriage' with in the case of me needing to bail. Obviously it would only last as long as necessary and I would compensate her after getting myself established.

In a zombie situation, I would be more open to the idea of getting closer to the urban centers after the first 'lump sum' of infected began to die off (unless we have a more exotic sort of zombie that does not die and has to rot away). From the right base of operations in the wilderness, I would be able to scavenge from these areas and have it a bit easier, perhaps one day setting up base in the city itself. However other survivors are more of something to avoid than something to look for, in my eyes, unless I find an established city-fortress of survivors living as collective. My survivor policy starts with distant Observation, after which will come the Kill or Contact decision. For all I know, these people are cannibals, robbers, or both. Better safe than sorry.

One of my biggest concerns right now is what sort of armament to carry. I for sure want a side arm and a rifle. I would like to have a shotgun but in most cases it's too much extra weight for too little benefit. My difficult decision lies in whether to carry my semi-auto scoped .30-06 and go for long range engagements, or to carry a (possibly scoped) AR-15 which I can have my buddy build for me. Even a short, pistol-grip twelve gauge would be nice though for quick defense. One of my biggest fears is being asleep and suddenly being assailed by a grizzly. It's one thing to have to grab my rifle, hope I made it ready to fire the night before and then aim for something vital; it's another to grab the shotgun, whip it up and fire a quick succession of Slug, Buckshot, Slug, Buckshot. What's that, Bear? You're staying for dinner?

...Yeah, if you see me out there in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, just shoot me. I'm unstable and paranoid and I will kill you for your stuff.

I plan to follow the "I am Legend" guidelines.

No hunting after dark and such.

Not sure if anyone's interested, but check out www.deadfrontier.com for a pretty sweet online 3d zombie mmorpg :)

... As for how I'd survive a zombie apocolypse... it depends on what kind of zombies were talking about here?
'cause I've got to say my 28weeks Later style zombie strategy is a hell of a lot different to my Dawn of the Dead (original) strategy!

Ah, zombies. Tend to watch the odd flick every once in a while, and play the games if any good. Recently listenened to Brook's audio book adaptation of World War Z, too. Not a fan of the new wave fast zombies- always liked the shambling horde more.

As for actual survival plans, haven't really got any. Truth told, got no survival skills to speak of, not alltogether strong or have endurance to keep on going long times in one go. I have no weapons, poor tools and knowhow to make shelters and the like as earlier pointed out, and no good amount of food to keep me fed as I try and survive zeds and stave off starvation. I got some water bottles and a few cans of goods that'll last, some dry bread and other dry foods, but due to my back, I'm not sure I could carry an extensive gear set with me.

The only real thing I got going for me are my distrust of other people (so as not to get killed by a companion in my sleep or the like) and moderate wit, which should be enough to at least outwit some of those shambling ghouls.

What I'd most likely do is head up on further and further north, where less people live and it gets more colder and harder to move about. Most likely find a cabin or something near a body of water (thankfully the country is filled with lakes and the like) and fortify my positions if possible. If any mobile corpsicles come my way...well, depends on the season and supplies, might try and outlast 'em till they freeze over or wander off, or try and pick 'em off somehow. Best bet would be to have two floors with a window overlooking the main entrance, so if a no-brainer comes a'knocking, I dump something heavy on 'em or if I have managed to procure a firearm, take careful aim and practice my marksmanship.

...but all things considered, I'd most likely be amongst the first to go down and up again, this time with a newfound delicate palate for brains.

We live in a agrcultural area just outside of town so my first move will be to get out of town. The other choices is to stay put as our house is kinda like fort knox. We have two way radio comunication with my parent and siblings so this could help as warning in time or device a plan to meet up which could be visable since they only live about a mile and ahalf away from us. We have about 6weeks of food in storage but only one gun a 9mm and on bulletproof vest hubby use to be armed response officer. My dad though hav 2 hunting riffles an a shot gun, that could be very handy. As for anybody who as been hurt will be tight down an isolated. From here it's a good idea to leave civillasation behind. This is where the real planing starts. We need a proper first aid kit which I kind of already have. My small comact survival kit which inc. flint, needles and thread, fishing hooks, loose blades, small looking glass, and plastic bag. Also would help is a maglight, and a good hunting knife. I will also grab my survilval book. Getting to water will not be a bad idea as zombies cannot swim to my knowledge. If you believe in voodo then salt is also harmful to zombies. I'm very far inland so getting to the sea will be tricky but possible.

The most I've planned is an escape route out my building at work. Because it's a dreary old building and I just know it'd be the perfect place to spawn zombies. After that... I'm still working on it. Maybe I should start exercising now, because if they're the running zombies I don't have a chance.

Bluebird said:
The most I've planned is an escape route out my building at work. Because it's a dreary old building and I just know it'd be the perfect place to spawn zombies. After that... I'm still working on it. Maybe I should start exercising now, because if they're the running zombies I don't have a chance.

the most zombie plans i have made is only if they attack me while i am in the bathroom. i have actually legitimately thought about that while in the shower or on the toilet. theres no window so i figure my best chance is to try to fight my way out the door with the plunger. dont worry, if they are the running zombies i dont have a chance either, lol.

Mine is pretty simple. Standard stuff, really.

Lock down HOMEBASE, gather supplies, put together roving patrols and/or traveling vehicle convoy, and proceed to hunt and destroy as many zombies as possible. I have the gun stores mapped out that I would take ammo and weapons from, I know which stores to hit for food, and I have a few ideas of where to set up lockdown facilities for the first few hectic weeks.

HOMEBASE would most likely be the local courthouse or possibly the police HQ/detention center. Public buildings like those would be excellent to defend (much better than a common house) and gather people together. Of course, a long-term plan could include setting up fences and walls around an entire town (or suburb) and organizing some sort of post-apoc government structure.

Honestly, I have basic plans... but going beyond that seems a bit silly to me. I think that a zombie, SHTF situation will be too chaotic and apocalyptic to imagine or prepare for. The best we can really do is to have some basic, fluid plans in place to help us get through the first few weeks or months of such a catastrophe. After about a year of survival, it should become obvious as to where to go next. Maybe the government will have taken control. Maybe you'd learn you would have to set up your own little band of civilization. Who knows?

Anyway, I know what I would personally do for the first month or so... and that's good enough for me.

Personally I wouldn't even try to survive.

I'd let myself get zombified, then go out and bite all the people who've annoyed me over the years :)

Eternal Optimist said:
Personally I wouldn't even try to survive.

I'd let myself get zombified, then go out and bite all the people who've annoyed me over the years :)

Eternal optimist, you are suppose to stick to your username giving up is not quite optimistic.
Well I live in SA so chances are we will have ample time to get ourselfs sorted out before zombies hit SA. But as for post apocaliptic or just any disaster I suppose I'm already kinda ready for. No kidding. we were expecting floods this side so we kinda prepared for that. But in some way it would be more exciting then my boring life now. Saving my pets are also kinda high on my what if list.

I think he's Optimistic that he will definitely be able to end at least a few of us.

So here's a question:

If someone says they want to be a zombie or thinks they wouldn't survive, should they be pre-emptively 'dealt' with? That's one less zombie for the future.

YOU CANT HIDE FROM ME, I SEE THE WAY YOU SHUFFLE IN THE MORNING, YOURE PRACTICALLY HALF WAY THERE

lmao, you guys just know how to make one smile. But yeah take em down before they become a bigger problem cause this butt ain't dying for no one. I the SPHINX

ThatOneDude said:
Shark suit+fireman's gear+motorcycle helmet+axe=happy me

That can truely work, but your gonna have to have those stuff stached away in a trunk somewhere in your house just in case.
And this is the one time in live when being a loner counts as a bonus as I will have 3kids and a hubby I need to protect and I will do so.

I've thought about turnouts (the 'fireighter suit') as good zombie protectant too. Against the sort of attacks zombies have available to them, it really would be pretty effective. Really your head is your only exposure and you can cover a lot of it with your helmet.

The only bad part is that the stuff is heavy. 30 pounds, about, and five for the helmet. Not sure how 'grabable' you are compared to other protection.

Also, if you think about it, a fire Engine wouldn't be a bad thing to steal either. You've got a 1250 gallon-per-minute pump, a water turret on the top (usually), and you can string out a quick 50 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose with a smoothbore on the end, combining to make a pretty badass water cannon. With a group of people, you can use this to keep zombies at a distance while your fire team guns them down. If the honeysuckle hits the fan (ie, you run out of diesel or your water source goes dry), you can climb on top of the hose bed, to which there are, at most, two points of access, neither of which are easy or quick (climbing up the back or clambering up the pump panel).

Similarly, if you have time to deploy (approx. 10 minutes), a Quint or Ladder Truck would be incredible assets as well. Deploy the outriggers, hook to water (city hydrant systems may or may not still be pressurized), and extend the ladder. Most Quint ladders have a water cannon on the bucket. There is only one route to you (and you can maneuver the bucket to a skyscraper window), and even when you are out of diesel the ladder will remain deployed in place for quite some time depending on the condition of the hydraulics.

And of course you have a variety of other equipment on these vehicles; axes, pike poles, chain saws, spare fuel, high-power lighting and generators. In a select few lucky cases, you may even find goodies such as oxyacetylene torches (a very efficient bomb, in a pinch) or even thermite burner bars.

What can I say, we know how to get in to places :p

Since surviving a zombie attack is always a relevant and current concern.

[youtube]zzkJbWl45kU[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back