The Distinct Local Foods Thread. Whats yours?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shadetree

What are some interesting local foods and food products they have in your area or country that they dont have other places? It can be a snack, sauce, spice, delicacy, main course anything. If youre not sure list it anyway might be fun finding out what all different foods there is.

I guess ill start

Area: Southeastern US

Grits, this is a good southern food i always enjoyed i dont think they have everywhere. Alot of people make fun of it not knowing what it is. But theyre actually really good with melted cheese or something. Kind of hard to explain if you never had them. I guess the best way to explain would be its kinda like a non sweet oatmeal but its made with ground corn maybe like porridge? I dont know ive never had porridge lol.

[video=youtube]

Iced Tea - This is something as a southern person i cant live without. I know alot of people drink it hot in other countries but thats how we drink it here. Mostly at least at my house Orange Peko. I also love earl grey tea but id never had it before a few years ago and it always reminds me of fruity pebbles cereal for some reason. It makes me laugh because i always remember capt picard from star trek TNG drinking this stuff alot and i figured before i had it, it was some really strong drink because the character hes like this really stern serious guy, then i tasted it and couldnt help but laugh a little.

I know tea is not specific to an area but i listed it because i know alot of people drink it hot instead of cold.

Well thanks for posting this shadetree, as I have often wondered what grits were having heard it/them? mentioned on American films and so now I know.

Here in the south west of England we are famous for our clotted cream which is thicker, richer and darker than ordinary cream. For my taste it's way too rich but holiday makers insist that their holidays aren't complete until they have had a cream tea with scones, jam and clotted cream

Probably not a very good link, but you get the idea.

Going by what the guy in the video said....Wow a cross between butter and whipped cream that sounds awesome.They have this stuff here honey butter that i can kind of imagine it tastes like that but alot sweeter My wife makes homemade whipped cream id never had that until she made it.

This is also how i imagine most people trying foods from different places lol. Like poking it with a stick and being like wth is that??

[video=youtube]

where I live now the most typical dish is liver fried in balsamic vinegar together with a bunch of sliced onions, very light and easy to digest :D or raw sardines left to marinate for many weeks in onions, also very light
Pasta with squid ink? I don't fancy a lot food from this area, but white wines are the best, especially prosecco

I live in Kent, United Kingdom which is known as the garden of England so it's mainly known for its fresh produce particularly through its orchards and hops (so we're known for specialty beers as well as ciders). We grow a lot of fruit so there's cherries and strawberries to go along with the apples and pears. We also produce salt marsh lamb and local oysters (haven't tried oysters myself). It's not easy to come up with examples of local dishes, there's gypsy tart but I haven't tried that either.

I'm in central England, UK which used to be extremely industrial areas, so the "traditional food" tends to be stuff that harks from that era. Steak and Ale pies, Oxtails, Bovril (a beef drink), dripping, chips, faggots..that sort of thing. You can still get it in most areas - most of it sounds utterly disgusting though!

Nowadays we're more famous for our Indian food after the large migration to these areas over the last 70 years - we have have a place called The Balti Triangle where there's little else but excellent restaurants serving some of the most amazing Indian dishes you'll ever taste. Whether you consider that to be traditional or not that is up to you, but they attract thousands of people every night.

I live in New England, Boston Massachuestts USA. So much can be said for our food here...the sea food, the italian food..etc... but the one thing that sticks out for me that is kinda disinct for Mass. is Marshmellow fluff... and fluffernutter sandwiches!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...mallow-fluff-213g-75oz-tub-2020-p.asp;628;371

and the fluffernutter.... marshmellow fluff with peanut butter.... add some bananas. YUM!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...%2F04%2Ffluffernutter-sandwiches%2F;1601;1067

Pretty interesting stuff so far. Some of it sounds good, some of it sounds kinda scarry lol.

This is French Canadian but it is a Canadian dish.. Poutine is a dish originating in Quebec, Canada, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.

10158_p.jpg
yummy

Arachne said:
This is French Canadian but it is a Canadian dish.. Poutine is a dish originating in Quebec, Canada, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.

10158_p.jpg
yummy

[video=youtube]

user 130057 said:
Arachne said:

10158_p.jpg
yummy

[video=youtube]

I could sooooo eat that right now. Yum Yum

Danielle said:
I live in New England, Boston Massachuestts USA. So much can be said for our food here...the sea food, the italian food..etc... but the one thing that sticks out for me that is kinda disinct for Mass. is Marshmellow fluff... and fluffernutter sandwiches!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...mallow-fluff-213g-75oz-tub-2020-p.asp;628;371

and the fluffernutter.... marshmellow fluff with peanut butter.... add some bananas. YUM!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...%2F04%2Ffluffernutter-sandwiches%2F;1601;1067

Please tell me you don't wash it down with Moxie? :p

Danielle said:
Fluffernutter sandwiches!

I dated a Bostonian for while and his mother turned me on to these. I'd never heard of them and it sounded weird, but OMG yum!

Arachne said:

10158_p.jpg
yummy

ringwood said:
Butter tarts...

2utn9s5.jpg

For those of you who are curious what they taste like, a recipe: http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/canada/best-canadian-butter-tarts.htm
POUTINE MMMMM
Butter Tarts MMMMM
There is a little store outside Parry Sound Ontario (oastler lake) that sells awesome butter tarts ... surprised I dont crack out on sugar when I camp up there LOL

Lots of German heritage where I am ...Cabbage Rolls
Must be slow roasted ... topped off with some sour cream and vinegar

This is a British Columbia, Canada sweet. The Nanaimo bar is a dessert item of Canadian origin popular across North America. It is a bar dessert which requires no baking and is named after the west coast city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. I can never stop at just one..

nanaimo2.jpg

heres a recipe

Nanaimo Bars

Arachne said:
This is a British Columbia, Canada sweet. The Nanaimo bar is a dessert item of Canadian origin popular across North America. It is a bar dessert which requires no baking and is named after the west coast city of Nanaimo, British Columbia. I can never stop at just one..

nanaimo2.jpg

heres a recipe

Nanaimo Bars

ever have the mint center version? ... MMMM

Yes I make them at Christmas for the family..^.^ also mocha you can pretty much make any flavor..

Man all this food now my mouths watering, maybe this thread wasnt a good idea? Im gonna be as big as a **** house lol. Seriously though looks great id love to try all that maybe ill look into ordering some of these or get some recipes and give them a try sometime.

NO BAKE OATMEAL COOKIES

a1544f64-19d4-44ad-a3fb-eca8fde1ff07_zps2qvnrcrp.png

My wife makes these sometimes and theyre really good and easy to make. Im not sure this is the exact recipe she uses but they look similar so should be close.

http://dessert.food.com/recipe/no-bake-chocolate-oatmeal-cookies-23821

Also im sure this is not strictly a local food but i figured since were talking about food its worth passing on, because theyre really delicious and kindve addictive.

Latest posts

Back