The eff...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
I'm a bit too upset right now to put out a coherent phrase.

I just got terminated without warning from my job, this is after I have had completely perfect months and I was slated for benefits. I swear, it feels like they just backstabbed me right as they knew I was going to try to go for a lot more education.

That's just insane. I can get a job soon enough, but what the....

oh, i'm so sorry, IO....that is totally harsh and i can understand your frustration. hope you find a replacement really soon with a even better company. :)

fresia!

I take it they were in their legal rights to do that? They always are. We get told of all these rights and they find ways around it lol. Just be sure to give them a bad reference in future :)

dude.

i've been there.

and it's ******* horrible.

try not to be angry for years.

you have no idea the revenge plots i've hatched when done wrong like that.

thank goodness i am of sound mind.

anyway, i have been fired a couple of times for exactly the same reason:

doing good, advancing myself, continuing my education...

yep, they will burn in hell for doing that to you.

What the heck happened there? Why bother promoting you if they wanted to fire you? Was there a reason or just downsizing so you can be replaced by a fresh out of college grad who will work for half the pay?

Limlim said:
What the heck happened there? Why bother promoting you if they wanted to fire you? Was there a reason or just downsizing so you can be replaced by a fresh out of college grad who will work for half the pay?

Basically. Best I can figure was that someone was upset that I was going to have health insurance at a higher base pay and that I would always work as much overtime as permitted. I guess wanting to take advantage of educational benefits finished it up.

Gutted said:
fresia!

I take it they were in their legal rights to do that? They always are. We get told of all these rights and they find ways around it lol. Just be sure to give them a bad reference in future :)

At will employment.

I am so very sorry. That is so wrong thing to do for anyone, horrible people. Especially if they just promoted you! :( *hugs*

Wow what a bunch of ****** bags. So they basically fired you because you wanted to take advantage of bettering your education? That doesn't sound legal to me.

Sci-Fi said:
Wow what a bunch of ****** bags. So they basically fired you because you wanted to take advantage of bettering your education? That doesn't sound legal to me.

At Will Employment

means we can fire you "at will" for any reason or for no reason at all

(other than the protected classes of discrimination under the constitution)

that means an employer can LEGALLY say:

I DON'T LIKE YOU.

I DON'T LIKE YOUR UGLY FACE.

I DON'T LIKE YOUR STUPID SMELL.

GET THE fresia OUT AND NEVER COME BACK.

as long as they don't reference your: age, race, religion, or sexual orientation.

life's a *****.

Funny thing is, at-will employment is sometimes argued to benefit the worker.

At any rate, I got two interviews today and I probably will have two jobs to choose from next week. Not so bad, all in all, and effectively a pay raise. Still, such a ***** move since I really wanted to stay at the same place for like the next ten-fifteen years.

IgnoredOne said:
Funny thing is, at-will employment is sometimes argued to benefit the worker.

At any rate, I got two interviews today and I probably will have two jobs to choose from next week. Not so bad, all in all, and effectively a pay raise. Still, such a ***** move since I really wanted to stay at the same place for like the next ten-fifteen years.

genuinely...GOOD LUCK to YOU!

i have been in your shoes, and had that exact same honeysuckle done to me,

my problem was i was angry FOR YEARS over it.

hopefully you can keep climbing and just look back at them as piles of honeysuckle no longer worth your time or consideration.

Trent said:

hopefully you can keep climbing and just look back at them as piles of honeysuckle no longer worth your time or consideration.

Well, one of the jobs I may get is looking for a lot of other people. I'll just pick off the rest of the competent from my old job with me, and honestly, I would want to work with them anyway. That would simultaneously get me back the guys I want to be with, and finish off the wreck of a project they had.

It'll be funny if revenge turns out to be that effortless.

And yeah, I was pretty unhappy with things, but I also blamed myself a lot. I could have always done better.

IgnoredOne said:
Trent said:

Well, one of the jobs I may get is looking for a lot of other people. I'll just pick off the rest of the competent from my old job with me, and honestly, I would want to work with them anyway. That would simultaneously get me back the guys I want to be with, and finish off the wreck of a project they had.

It'll be funny if revenge turns out to be that effortless.

i passed one of the ******** that got me fired years after the fact.

he was in my town in a company vehicle.

i may or may not have dialed the number on the back of his vehicle and may or may not have reported that he almost ran over a small child on a bike and callously drove off while unconcerned for her wellbeing.

This "At Will Employment" crap still doesn't seem legal to me. Never heard of that before. Around here there are certain things employers have to get you to sign an agreement for. If it's not with the perimeters of our labour regulations they can't. I had an employer who tried to make his employees do all sorts of things. After I investigated my rights I found out what he could and could not force me to do. I'm not familiar with US labour rulings but I don't see how they can get away with that "at will" scam.

Sci-Fi said:
This "At Will Employment" crap still doesn't seem legal to me. Never heard of that before. Around here there are certain things employers have to get you to sign an agreement for. If it's not with the perimeters of our labour regulations they can't. I had an employer who tried to make his employees do all sorts of things. After I investigated my rights I found out what he could and could not force me to do. I'm not familiar with US labour rulings but I don't see how they can get away with that "at will" scam.

"At will", is in fact, a state law in regards to employment rather than an employee contract. Long story short, we don't have much in the way of protection for employees at all - the idea to at-will originally is that employees can leave 'at will' which also gives employers the . People from other countries are always so surprised by it.

The upside is that because it is so pro-business, this can mean that its easy to find another job as it was for me. But it is very stressful, nonetheless, especially as I come from a culture that as my father reminds me, I've lost face for losing a job and it is a slight to our family. I do intend to repay the slight, so to balance the debt.

Latest posts

Back