The Profundity of The 40-Year-Old Virgin...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sage

Reaction score
I searched for this in the forum, and I don't think it's come up much, which surprises me.

This is the perfect movie for plenty of lonely people.

It's about a 40-year-old virgin (duh) who is not just shy in the ways of women, he's likely never had any true friends at all. The friendship he develops late in life with Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen and Romany Malco's characters is just as important as the relationship with Catherine Keener's character. He is shown as a perfectly normal, nice guy who just needed someone to be kind to him, and in turn he helped some of the other characters with problems they had.

Plus, it's funny and mainstream, so it's uplifting without being despairing. It's amazing a movie about featuring such obscure topics like comic-and-toy obsessives, involuntary celibates, and emotionally stunted people was such a big hit with everyone.

Badjedidude said:
I am a fan, but your mention of his work just seemed slightly odd, that's all. :p

It just hit me. I do think I have a point, though. I have to imagine there are several people in this forum not dissimilar to Steve Carell in that movie.

You're probably right.

Personally, I always imagined I was like Seth Rogan's character. But that might just be my ego talking. :p

i think i am similar to his character. and seth rogens character in "funny people" too.

Latest posts

Back