Ultra realistic shooting games fund arms companies

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groucho

Reaction score
This isn't meant to cause debate, but to inform.

Ultra realistic shooting games such as the Call of Duty series actually fund arms companies (and indirectly, weapons research) because they have to pay a royalty fee to use copyrighted names and designs of guns in their game.

This video covers it in far more interesting depth:
[video=youtube]

If you prefer written material, the information can be found here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-01-shooters-how-video-games-fund-arms-manufacturers

However, the gun makers are more forthcoming. "[It's] absolutely the same as with cars in games," says Barrett's Vaughn. "We must be paid a royalty fee - either a one-time payment or a percentage of sales, all negotiable. Typically, a licensee pays between 5 per cent to 10 per cent retail price for the agreement. But we could negotiate on that."

So approximately one tenth of your games cost goes to gun research and manufacturers. Something to think about.

That's interesting. Though I can't say I'm surprised as far as licensing things goes. Everyone wants "their piece" of the pie. Even if someone doesn't like that their money goes to the companies, my thought process is, if they don't get extra money this way, someone else will be giving it to them.

They should just make them up, at a guess the vast majority of players won't own the real thing. Like GTA and the cars that resemble real world ones.

I am happy to licence the W industries W905-'Widowmaker' Assault Rifle, or the W602-'Firestorm' SMG. Please PM for rates! :D

edgecrusher said:
That's interesting. Though I can't say I'm surprised as far as licensing things goes. Everyone wants "their piece" of the pie. Even if someone doesn't like that their money goes to the companies, my thought process is, if they don't get extra money this way, someone else will be giving it to them.

My thought processes are, if people cut back the games that fund these arms industry (it's possible, via simply renaming the guns, to avoid having to pay any royalties together, so it's not even necessary), it means that the gaming community won't tolerate such things, and it's less excess money for them to spent on R&D.

It's not whether or not it buys guns (they don't give them for free), but if the next weapon they research - think drone strikes on children - is more deadly and dangerous than the precessor.

Less money in their coffers is less money in their R&D division, which in turns means less deadly weapon experimentation. I'm not sure who would fill the gap but what if the 5-10% was used for something else? 10% to a charity for each game bought instead sounds better to me than an arms industry.

it may be meant to inform, but it's sure to cause a debate lol
especially when facts are loose.

i'm from Canada, so I have no obsession with guns like my neighbors to the south. but..
you do realize how much money gun makers make right?
do you really think that royalties from video games makes a difference to them?
it's a spec on the beach for them. they only charge it so they can control their brand names and image (so they don't find their gun being used in games or situations they don't condone)
if you think denying yourself a video game is going to hurt them in the pocket book.. you are fooling only yourself.
they were filthy rich and people where feverishly developing guns long before the concept of video games was conceived.

Walley said:
it may be meant to inform, but it's sure to cause a debate lol
especially when facts are loose.

i'm from Canada, so I have no obsession with guns like my neighbors to the south. but..
you do realize how much money gun makers make right?
do you really think that royalties from video games makes a difference to them?
it's a spec on the beach for them. they only charge it so they can control their brand names and image (so they don't find their gun being used in games or situations they don't condone)
if you think denying yourself a video game is going to hurt them in the pocket book.. you are fooling only yourself.
they were filthy rich and people where feverishly developing guns long before the concept of video games was conceived.

I'm not aware of how much they earn, but if we take a look at the sales of just Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (knowing that a conservative 5% is taken from the price at the very least)...

...Within 24 hours:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-5...ps-2-rakes-in-$500-million-in-first-24-hours/

The latest version of the storied military shooter, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, grossed $500 million in revenue around the world in its first 24 hours

And if we take a much longer period of time:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ps-2-beats-modern-warfare-3-to-1-billion-but/

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is no different, at least from a revenue point of view. Activision announced on Wednesday morning that its latest military shooter earned $1 billion in retail sales in just 15 days.

That only tells us more solid financial numbers, but again, they're conservative. We count the number of copies sold:

As of November 5, 2013, the game has sold 24.2 million copies.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Black_Ops_II

And multiply that with your price cost of $30 (which is underparing it because when they initially released it retailed for about $50, as you do):

30 * 24,200,000 = $726,000,000

(This is ignoring the 1 billion estimated for the 15 days from Activision's own sheet, which as you can see, is much larger 1,000,000,000. I suspect their billion estimate includes buy-to-download content).

And 5% of 726,000,000 is?

36,300,000, or 36 million and three hundred thousand. If it goes up to 10% and we apply the 1 billion in sales though, and you would have effectively given arms manufacturers 100 million for merely giving a nod to a virtual gun.

To put that in context, that's more than the order from the department of Justice:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1995-05-01/business/1995121110_1_beretta-accokeek-contract

The increase in sales at Beretta is due in part to a flurry of orders from law enforcement agencies around the country. They include the recent $5.3 million order from the Department of Justice for 16,400 pistols to be used by Border Patrol and Immigration and Naturalization Service agents.

Far more than the Canadian Mounties (same source as above):

Beretta is currently bidding on a contract to be awarded by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for 18,000 pistols. If successful it would bring in another $7 million in business.

In-fact, if we use the 1 billion and 10% (reaching 100 million), we actually are on par with a government contract:

Although its military contract -- a pact to supply 390,000 guns worth $110 million -- expired last summer, to hear Mr. Bonaventure tell it, things at the company he runs couldn't be better.

That is correct. The contribution gamers make as a whole, may I point out, to a SINGLE game in a series of games, is enough to outstrip law enforcement purchases and match near parity with a military contract (assuming they haggle for the full 10% and Activision aren't lying on their 1 billion revenue from sales).

Best-case scenario: you give the arms industry 5, 6 times more than the law enforcement community does.

Worst-case scenario: you compete with the military. The US military. The warmongering huge ass division designed to invade countries with is your equal in expenditure.

So, to reiterate your point (they'd earn 100 million in 15 days assuming non-conservative evaluation, remember), "do you really think that royalties from video games makes a difference to them?" - the most well researched answer to this question is yes, yes it does.

It's equal to supplying 100,000 guns. You could supply a gun for every man woman and child for any one of the countries at this link. Greenland and Monaco combined.

"if you think denying yourself a video game is going to hurt them in the pocket book.. you are fooling only yourself."

Not really, because the figures clearly show, based clearly on the supplied facts, that if buying a video game gives them that amount, then denying the video game that gives them amount will also deny them the money.

Logical cause and effect.

Unless you think money appears out of thin air?

Indifferent said:
Groucho said:

Only when you're printing it
Beat me to it...

If we stop buying games that pay royalties to weapon developers they will claim hardship and get a bailout in the guise of homeland security. Then they will work with politicians to make up so new enemy that we have to fight and we'll end up borrowing billions (Thanks to the Federal Reserve who prints money and buys our worthless treasury bonds) to blow up wedding convoys in dirkadirkastan.

Sarcasm aside, gun royalties are the least of our worries.

Indifferent said:
Groucho said:

Hyperinflation, Weimar Germany.

Printing has it's limitations.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Indifferent said:
Groucho said:

Beat me to it...

If we stop buying games that pay royalties to weapon developers they will claim hardship and get a bailout in the guise of homeland security. Then they will work with politicians to make up so new enemy that we have to fight and we'll end up borrowing billions (Thanks to the Federal Reserve who prints money and buys our worthless treasury bonds) to blow up wedding convoys in dirkadirkastan.

Sarcasm aside, gun royalties are the least of our worries.

That's merely appealing to a solution that may not necessarily occur. The US government is forced into cutbacks - including contracts - and has implemented gun bans (whether or not I agree with the gun bans vie the second amendment contradiction is another matter entirely).

That's what the government will do. That is not to say gamers or the joe public has to be a part of that. Otherwise, as per the youtube video, we would be hypocrites to condemn war or weapons or both, if we - knowingly - buy games that give royalties to arms ownership (regardless of government/state/corporation corruption).

Buying boycotts do work, but you won't hear it reported because imagine the notion people would get in their heads if a buying boycott actually worked.

And remember, games companies don't have to pay the royalties if they just shaft the naming conventions (EG if they didn't use brand names like 'colt', 'beretta' and the like, they'd be exempt from copyright). In-fact, even in the US government ArmA game, they purposefully evade the naming conventions to avoid paying the royalties. Yes, you read that right - ArmA (ArmAII, by extension), the game developed by the US military, doesn't pay the arms industry royalties because they purposefully rename the guns.

Even IF we drop the moral high ground (which people seem to be shafting with contention) and go exclusively to say your selfishness, the royalties ADD 5 to 10% onto your gaming price. Activision etc don't simply pay 5/10% out of their own coffers - they jack up the price so you pay the price for them.

That's 5/10% that, according to ArmA, is completely unnecessary.

hmm,
if we take a look at the sales of just Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (knowing that a conservative 5% is taken from the price at the very least)...
how do we know that?
in fact.. I would bet you that 5%.. that they don't get anything close to 5% lol.
would surprise me to find they give them even .05%

Walley said:
hmm,
if we take a look at the sales of just Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (knowing that a conservative 5% is taken from the price at the very least)...
how do we know that?
in fact.. I would bet you that 5%.. that they don't get anything close to 5% lol.
would surprise me to find they give them even .05%

Stated, clearly, in the first post (you read it, right?):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-01-shooters-how-video-games-fund-arms-manufacturers

However, the gun makers are more forthcoming. "[It's] absolutely the same as with cars in games," says Barrett's Vaughn. "We must be paid a royalty fee - either a one-time payment or a percentage of sales, all negotiable. Typically, a licensee pays between 5 per cent to 10 per cent retail price for the agreement. But we could negotiate on that."

One might try to be conservative to propose 'one time fee' of an ambiguous amount but without evidence to the contrary, it would be more accurate to assume that 'typically a licensee pays' the 5-10% amount of the retail price as specified unless otherwise proven.

I've even given breathing room by calculating at your proposed game value for the retail price and using the wikipedia numbers (which gives a substantially smaller amount than using Activision's own personal statement of earning roughly 1 billion in 15 days).

If one was determined to disprove my points, one could file an FOIA to Activision regarding their agreement between them and the arms industry over the amount paid. However, noting Eurogamer magazine's reaction from various games companies (including Sega who even say "Sega: "[This] doesn't sit comfortably." " regarding such line of questioning - probably uncomfortable for their PR) they may be less than willing to be honest as to the nature of the acquisition of terms or rights regarding pricing.

If we take typical values, apply it to a game that uses such trademarked names, we have to conclude that they benefit substantially (36 million as the 'conservative' estimate using your pricing and the lower 5% is still a lot compared to law enforcement etc). And that's just one game.

Of course, CoD is a sequential series. If we begin to total those up even using conservative values, we start to see a much bigger problem.

(The games industry is no small thing.)

oh I read it..
but whether I believed it or not is a different story.
that article to me just reeks of opinions and scarce on sources. there was nothing I saw there that convince me otherwise.

but really, setting that aside, even if gun manufacturers where making and selling pc games themselves.. what does it matter in a country so full of guns and attitudes that every citizen needs and should carry weapons on them at all times?
and that they have a right to carry weapons in public places.
they don't have to promote it or advertise..
do you really honestly think that if all shooting games and advertising was banned, that gun sales would go down? or R&D is going slow down?
they just want them to buy their gun instead of a competitor, but someone buying a gun is gonna buy one.
here in Canada, we play the same games and we see the same ads pushing brands, yet it hasn't affected sales or availability of them around here..
lately in the news here we have been hearing of the rise in gun issues at the American border. the more time passes since 9/11 and the security measures put in place since then, the more they seem to forget. on a daily bases Canadian border guards find Americans trying to drive across the border with loaded guns in the car. not only that, but they protest and think they have a right as if Canada is just another state and they cannot comprehend why they aren't aloud. as if everywhere else in the world is in a police state like they seem to be.
I've had debates with people on this very forum that seemed convinced that they would not step outside there door without carrying a knife, gun or pipe or some form of deadly weapon as "protection"
if that's what the majority of the united states is truly like.. it is no longer the land of the free. the freedom to carry a deadly weapon has made them all prisoners within there own society.
I would hate to live in a place where I feel like I have to be armed all the time. may as well move to Afghanistan.
is that how they want the United States of America to be?
well it sure seems so.
but don't blame video games, TV or movies or rock & roll.. or think they have any more sway in the industry than my warm farts do to cause climate change.

that's my opinion.

Walley said:
oh I read it..
but whether I believed it or not is a different story.
that article to me just reeks of opinions and scarce on sources. there was nothing I saw there that convince me otherwise.

Poisoning the well fallacy. I can see you're trying to discredit the source based on speculative opinion - but your views are just that, opinion. You will find numerous sources will back up the fact games companies do pay arms manufacturers royalties.

You'll have to provide proof to the contrary given I've already supplied some rather than your unsupported 'doubts'.
Walley said:
but really, setting that aside, even if gun manufacturers where making and selling pc games themselves.. what does it matter in a country so full of guns and attitudes that every citizen needs and should carry weapons on them at all times?
and that they have a right to carry weapons in public places.
they don't have to promote it or advertise..

I thought you were a Canadian?

Or are you turning this into an anti-American sentiment which isn't even relevant, given the games industry is a worldwide community?

Red herring fallacy. I'm British. These games are purchaseable in places besides America, say, the whole of Europe?

Walley said:
do you really honestly think that if all shooting games and advertising was banned, that gun sales would go down? or R&D is going slow down?
they just want them to buy their gun instead of a competitor, but someone buying a gun is gonna buy one.

Strawman argument fallacy. Nowhere in my post does it say "shooting games and advertising" should be "banned" (nowhere does it say advertisement, actually).

You're also appealing to an imaginary funder of guns who would fill in this 36 million (or 100 million) black hole, but without providing evidence as to who would 'fill in' this drop in finances. Please be aware the US military is making spending cutbacks, and the US government is in excess of $16 trillion debt and has already had one government shutdown recently due to financial issues. Speculative opinion is not an actual iron-clad guarentee they could recoup such losses instantly or immediately.

By your own arguments logic, you might as well murder someone because if you don't do it, someone else will do it for you. Likewise, you're arguing that if you don't help cover the arms industry's costs, someone else will do it for you.

Appeal to popularity: you don't have to do what other people do. There's a game like that, called Lemmings.

Walley said:
here in Canada, we play the same games and we see the same ads pushing brands, yet it hasn't affected sales or availability of them around here..
lately in the news here we have been hearing of the rise in gun issues at the American border. the more time passes since 9/11 and the security measures put in place since then, the more they seem to forget. on a daily bases Canadian border guards find Americans trying to drive across the border with loaded guns in the car. not only that, but they protest and think they have a right as if Canada is just another state and they cannot comprehend why they aren't aloud. as if everywhere else in the world is in a police state like they seem to be.

This is more anti-American sentiment which isn't relevant to my point.

My point is gamers should not be funding any kind of arms technology.

For the record, Beretta are Italian.

Several other arms manufacturers are German (EG Heckler and Koch), and British.

Here's a complete list of arm manufacturers and their locales:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_modern_armament_manufacturers

Walley said:
but don't blame video games, TV or movies or rock & roll..

You've made another strawman argument. The argument is not 'do games cause Americans to be loaded to the teeth', it's 'gamers should not fund the arms industry'. Especially if they want to condemn other people for using weapons, or wars.

Again, irrelevant anti-American diatribe (not based on facts so much as overgeneralised stereotypes not even pertinent to the debate). You've not even disputed that the funds go into the arms industry, but appealing to a helpless dog sentiment that you have no impact.

Can you, conscienciously, as a person, feel okay, with knowing that funds used on a game you've purchased, has gone to an arms industry unit who, in their effort to win government contracts, will use that money to produce better weapons to government spec (IE better at killing people) and thus produce events like "collateral murder" (the shooting of reporters and children which is viewable on youtube if you wish to ascertain for yourself)? Not 'what if my government' pays them, not if some 'mysterious financier' pays them, but you?

It's not whether or not someone else will somehow fill the void with questionable economic practices, it's not if gaming is right or wrong, but whether or not you can sleep soundly knowing your funds aids weapons that kill - classically innocent - people?

Doesn't matter if it's games. If it was sweets that paid royalties, or a book that paid royalties my argument would be the same. You need to phase out of the 'games kill people' mentality and focus on the 'my money I'm paying to games is killing people'. Not the game per se, it's who gets paid by it.

Remember, my solution was to boycott non-compliant games (not ban shooting games). As pointed out, it's not even necessary for games to pay those royalties if they just use generic terms in guns. Rename the guns and don't pay royalties. Play the same game.

And just so you know where I sit, I have a games programming degree.

Groucho said:
Shouldn't your point be more along the lines of that you want gamers to be educated about the fact that their money could potentially be used to fund R & D projects at major arm manufacturers and thus potentially could be leading to more unjustified deaths around the world? Otherwise you're simply forcing your morals onto other people.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Groucho said:
Shouldn't your point be more along the lines of that you want gamers to be educated about the fact that their money could potentially be used to fund R & D projects at major arm manufacturers and thus potentially could be leading to more unjustified deaths around the world? Otherwise you're simply forcing your morals onto other people.

Well, I like to think that gamers are, in a sense, moral individuals who would be troubled their funds actively fund the arms industry, especially given that charities, such as Child's Play (which basically a charity funded for by gamers) exists.

Otherwise it would feel like that one would be a bit contradictory on the one hand funding a charity (it's curious why the royalties aren't charity donations instead) but on another funding an arms industry. Contrast that Child's Play is about funding hospitals, thus injuries, thus possibly firearm related injuries.

I think the issues ultimately breaks down into, as per the video, if you're the kind of person who likes guns or not, rather than morals per se. If an individual is an American who spends X amount on guns per year it might seem trivial, but to a Brit such as myself, spending anything on guns (given we are largely gunless society) is pretty big.

And I don't think it's even really a moral issue because the solution is relatively simple - rename the guns in the game. The mind-boggling aspect is that 36 million or so in royalties, isn't even necessary.

As besides, as argued, if morality isn't your thing (bad, bad morality and it's attempts to help us!), then consider the fact that it bloats the retail price (because Activision will only increase the price to cover the costs of the royalties).

Indifferent said:
Groucho said:
Printing has it's limitations.

Backpedaling,
That's why it was a good joke.

I don't quite understand your reply. Are you saying I'm backpedaling or you were?

I will say this, though. I'm baffled how the US economy keeps stable with a debt that large. Is it really purely the fact that no-one panics is the reason it's still stable? I think they could just magically write-off the 16 trillion dollar debt and no-one would blink an eye.

It'd be one major disaster if it hit, though. Most of Europe is in-debt.

Latest posts

Back