very bad panic attacks

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella

Reaction score
just had the most horrific panic attack in work, definitely the worst one i have had since i was really bad 6 years ago. i completely lost control of my workload and myself, burst into tears in front of the medical rep that was pestering me and walked out without telling anyone. now my manager is calling me wondering where i am. im a mess though and cannot face talking to him so i have switched my phone off. i cant even remember leaving or the route i took home. im so annoyed at myself, i thought i had hit my panic attack problem on the head, i guess i was wrong.

why does our bodies do this to us when we are stressed? also does anyone have any coping technique i can put into place to stop this from happening in the future? i feel so embarrassed that this happened in work, i just want to hide under my duvet covers and wish it all away.

(((((stella)))))

And now, to make you feel better, here's Denzel the Barbarian:
w88iOFQTUipfbh7r86ImIEdQo1_400.jpg

I kind of freaked out on my brother over hand sanitizer. But it's more of me feeling like he always argues with me. Goes out of his way to just do the complete opposite sometimes. And I'm trying to keep my household together, so it's clearly annoying.

I would just call the manager and tell him how I just couldn't take the pestering anymore. There's really not much more to be done. Can't take it back, or change it. Perhaps talking to him about it may help a little bit. Jobs can be stressful, especially when you have people constantly surrounding you with things to do.

I used to suffer from major panic attacks. The best possible combat (although cliched) is to take extremely deep breaths. Do this over and over again and ensure you are concentrating on the breathing and nothing else.

Once you've done this, you should start to feel some relief.

my sister gets panic attacks sometimes. if shes at work she will do the weirdest thing but its a repititive thing to focus her. she works at a bowling alley. all bowling alleys have weird carpet with bowling pins and bowling balls on it. she will walk back and forth across the floor stepping only in the pins while talking to someone on the phone that will try to calm her. she said it gives her something to concentrate on and that calms her for some reason. maybe you can find something repititive you can do to help refocus your mind elsewhere. not sure if this would help but i figured i would just throw it out there since it helps my sister.

Do you have any Employee Assistance Programs at work?

In Civil Service we usually have access to some form of counseling due to the stress load of the daily job...I would imagine you'd need something similar in the health care field. And even though it probably sounds like some cheesy clause in the sea of corporate contracts, it does help. I've used ours for a 'time sensitive' counseling due to an incident we had not too long ago that I was intimately involved with, and I think if I hadn't I'd be waking up from nightmares. Even still I can recall it vividly to the smallest detail, but usually it doesn't phase me, now.

I won't pretend to know the specifics of our neurology that cause us to snap, but I experience them with symptoms of extreme hopelessness, chest pain, and a general fear of the world. They happen from time to time, but not very often recently. I experience them less when I am doing positive things in my weekly routine, like making time to bicycle, taking classes somewhere, or enjoying a book in the evening. Things to switch up the monotony. But even still they happen now and then. A couple months back I was traveling on business, and in my hotel room one night I just broke down over something that happened a few years ago with a girl I fancied. It revisits me from time to time and I hadn't dealt with it in a while.

For me I deal with lingering mild to sever panic daily...

I figure after enough expierence that... well for one my chemical physiology in my brain has been permantly damaged due to Anti-psychotic medications...

For whatever reason I build up massive excesses of epinephrine (adrenaline) related to my dopamine responses to stimulus...

Suffice to say... When my heart is resting at 120 (quite a bit above average) and i'm laying down completely motionless... here is what i do...

I see the panic and rapid heart beat as excess energy being translated into a epinephrine overload episode...

As americans often times the way we earn our living doesn't properly negate our positive and negative stresses properly...

So when I'm in that place... I seek outlets for "burning" the energy so to speak... I will exercise, do some cleaning, prepare a healthy meal of fresh veggies and fruit... read a book... expend energy... my brain is giving me energy to deal with a primal "flight for life" episode... to which if i do not respond with physical action... the one muscle that has to keep working forme to live takes all the burdon...

As for random massive panic happening without warning...sometimes you just have to ride it out...Sometimes my heart is beating so fast I can't even meditate to try to calm down without feeling my heart thumping inside my chest like a racing horse on steroids 7/8th's to the finish...

Burn that energy and start finding daily outlets for excess energy build-ups from your stressors... also it can help to re-evalute social environments, work and home habits... and really dig deep and try to find something that has been troubling you you may have been putting off... or a bad habit that has left an area of your life slack and less attended to then neccessary...

My last major panic attack was what made me get some help. The most important thing to remember is that once a panic attack starts, you can't just shut it out with good thoughts. That adrenaline is already in your bloodstream and you'll have to ride it out. Try belly breathing, it works a lot of times. Either lie down or lean back in a comfy chair, and rest your hands on your belly. Breathe from bottom to top, in through your nose, and out through your mouth at first. This will help bring your breathing and pulse back down to normal range.
I agree with all the responses. Get exercise (it's hard to start, but totally worth it). Find/rediscover hobbies you like to keep your mind occupied. Work on becoming more assertive with people like the pest, even if it means ruffling feathers. That last one may be a new thing, but trust me, it gets easier. The more assertive you are, the less you bottle up.
The main bullet point here is that a panic attack is like a meaningful dream you have while awake: it's your mind and body telling you that some changes need to take place in your way of living and thinking.

*hugs stella* i also have problems with panic attacks, and it's really hard for me it causes me not to sleep so i get more worked up because I can't sleep and then I'll get sick and miss school or work flunk out then live at home as a failure the rest of my life it's very hard :( espeically because sometimes they seem to last a long time

although I've recently found out that for me at least, panic attacks often make me nauseated and If i let myself throw up I feel better. not trying to say bulima is the answer I don't make myself throw up it happens with panic attacks for me

other than than try to think positive it's just a panic attack you're not dying and it will pass, just focus on that it's not permanent it's only temporary just keep saying that over and over

well panic attacks are a reaction to stress and overload of neurotransmitters like endrelanin(....how ever it's spelled, you know what mean) because it's like your fight or flight switch is stuck in high gear and also a glitch in your amygdala ( the part of your brain responsible for fear and that stuff) kind of like it has the hiccups and every time it hiccups you get the sensation of fear and panic

have you talked to a therapist about your panic attacks? therapy can help also they can prescribe something that can help

I was on seraquel regularly for quite sometime and then I got off it which was hard, but now I use only when I feel the onset of a panic attack and I take one and it really helps

anyways I hope you can figure something out

also if you haven't already read it here's the wiki article on panic attacks to help you understand them a bit better

"Sufferers of panic attacks often report a fear or sense of dying, "going crazy," or experiencing a heart attack or "flashing vision," feeling faint or nauseated, a numb sensation throughout the body, heavy breathing (and almost always, hyperventilation), or losing control of themselves. Some people also suffer from tunnel vision, mostly due to blood flow leaving the head to more critical parts of the body in defense. These feelings may provoke a strong urge to escape or flee the place where the attack began (a consequence of the sympathetic "fight-or-flight response") in which the hormone which causes this response is released in significant amounts. This response floods the body with hormones, particularly epinephrine (adrenaline), that aid it in defending against harm.[3]
A panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system (SNS). The most common symptoms may include trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain (or chest tightness), hot flashes, cold flashes, burning sensations (particularly in the facial or neck area), sweating, nausea, dizziness (or slight vertigo), light-headedness, hyperventilation, paresthesias (tingling sensations), sensations of choking or smothering, and derealization. These physical symptoms are interpreted with alarm in people prone to panic attacks. This results in increased anxiety, and forms a positive feedback loop.[4]
Often the onset of shortness of breath and chest pain are the predominant symptoms, the sufferer incorrectly appraises this as a sign or symptom of a heart attack. This can result in the person experiencing a panic attack seeking treatment in an emergency room.
Panic attacks are distinguished from other forms of anxiety by their intensity and their sudden, episodic nature.[3] They are often experienced in conjunction with anxiety disorders and other psychological conditions, although panic attacks are not always indicative of a mental disorder."
"While the various symptoms of a panic attack may feel that the body is failing, it is in fact protecting itself from harm. The various symptoms of a panic attack can be understood as follows. First, there is frequently (but not always) the sudden onset of fear with little provoking stimulus. This leads to a release of adrenaline (epinephrine) which brings about the so-called fight-or-flight response wherein the person's body prepares for strenuous physical activity. This leads to an increased heart rate (tachycardia), rapid breathing (hyperventilation) which may be perceived as shortness of breath (dyspnea), and sweating (which increases grip and aids heat loss). Because strenuous activity rarely ensues, the hyperventilation leads to a drop in carbon dioxide levels in the lungs and then in the blood. This leads to shifts in blood pH (respiratory alkalosis or hypocapnia), which in turn can lead to many other symptoms, such as tingling or numbness, dizziness, burning and lightheadedness. Moreover, the release of adrenaline during a panic attack causes vasoconstriction resulting in slightly less blood flow to the head which causes dizziness and lightheadedness. A panic attack can cause blood sugar to be drawn away from the brain and towards the major muscles. It is also possible for the person experiencing such an attack to feel as though they are unable to catch their breath, and they begin to take deeper breaths, which also acts to decrease carbon dioxide levels in the blood."
*hugs*

stella said:
just had the most horrific panic attack in work, definitely the worst one i have had since i was really bad 6 years ago. i completely lost control of my workload and myself, burst into tears in front of the medical rep that was pestering me and walked out without telling anyone. now my manager is calling me wondering where i am. im a mess though and cannot face talking to him so i have switched my phone off. i cant even remember leaving or the route i took home. im so annoyed at myself, i thought i had hit my panic attack problem on the head, i guess i was wrong.

why does our bodies do this to us when we are stressed? also does anyone have any coping technique i can put into place to stop this from happening in the future? i feel so embarrassed that this happened in work, i just want to hide under my duvet covers and wish it all away.
[/quote

You could try putting on a good song in your ipod or try some valium from a doctor .

Latest posts

Back