Very low self-esteem.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems like my mother and sister dislike my dressing style. I mean, I have pretty good taste in picking out clothes. I don't like short shorts, miniskirts, low V-necks, short party dresses, crop-tops and whatever other clothing that is non-modest.

I like old fashioned clothing. Like modestly cut shorts and skirts, longer dresses, tights, boots, button-down collared shirts, dress pants, and sweaters and vests.I mean, those aren't horrible clothes, are they? They say I dress like an old woman. I'd rather dress like an old woman than a skank, tbh.

Whenever I try and dress up nice, they always put me down, so I wind up wearing boring clothes. They don't make me feel any prettier. I'm already self-conscious about how I look, since I look like a man.

I know exactly what that feels like. Two questions come to mind. First, are you dressing for them when you dress up nice to receive their approval? Or are you dressing modestly for yourself apart from what they may think? It's important to know WHO you are dressing for because ultimately it matters most what you feel good in.
In my experience, I've found myself looking in my closet to wear something that may impress someone, I mean anyone that I would come in contact with. I would think about what someone might say, not say, think, and not think. All this energy into dressing for other people and then I'd feel totally overdressed or under-dressed for the occasion.
When I catch myself telling myself to wear such clothes for such people.. I stop.. and think about how I would feel in those clothes apart from whoever will be there -- in school, work, family gathering, or day to day. I try to imagine myself in that place wearing those clothes and how I would feel.

The way we dress is an expression of who we are right? I think that no matter what people think, you should always be comfortable wearing what you want to wear. The way you describe it, you don't sound like an old lady...you just have a different sense of fashion...I NEVER kept up with fashion trends and was teased about it at times, but I tried to turn it around and say to myself that the ones teasing me were the uninformed ones. And I agree, why would anyone want to dress like a skank unless that's their profession? ;)

Pike Creek said:
The way we dress is an expression of who we are right? I think that no matter what people think, you should always be comfortable wearing what you want to wear. The way you describe it, you don't sound like an old lady...you just have a different sense of fashion...I NEVER kept up with fashion trends and was teased about it at times, but I tried to turn it around and say to myself that the ones teasing me were the uninformed ones. And I agree, why would anyone want to dress like a skank unless that's their profession? ;)

Right. I like old fashioned things like uniforms, and even school uniforms. :/ I like to dress classy. I don't like short shorts and cowboy boots.

Animelover10102 said:
Right. I like old fashioned things like uniforms, and even school uniforms. :/ I like to dress classy. I don't like short shorts and cowboy boots.

My bf dresses out of a 40's Film Noir movie and I find it very irresistible. He in no way is interested in today's trends, nor am I. I dress very feminine but not slutty...form-fitting and elegant dresses, usually long skirts with some leg showing, I love the buttoned-down blouses...at home I wear lots of gowns and pretty slippers...and I feel absolutely great in my clothes. I'm assuming you're younger though, still live at home? If that's the case, just take what your family says with a grain of salt if you can...once you're on your own, you can feel free and secure to dress how you want, since it is your life - not theirs.

There's nothing wrong with an old-fashioned/classy style of clothing. I really admire those that are able to pull it off and I'm attracted to guys that are nicely and classy dressed as well. Sometimes I even wish I'd lived in the fifties!

Everyone's different, have different taste and opinion. Your family doesn't like your style of clothing? That's their problem, not yours. Don't let it affect you too much

People often say that fashion is a way to express yourself, which in most cases is complete bullshit. The thing that people who care about fashion are trying to express is that they're fashionable. They do this by conforming to the dictates of what someone or other who tells them is fashionable. If fashion is self expression then it seems that people generally want to look like each other. If you want to look different Animelover then good for you. You're far more interesting than such people. I've never tried to express myself by the clothes I wear as I'm not sure what that would look like. A toga and a gorilla mask maybe?

Animelover,
I'm kinda with you on this one, cause I hate short shorts too and low skirts, V necks don't bother me however but it's you're personal choice to dress the way you want to dress. Crop tops have always made me feel odd too, I see that their back in fashion again and I seriously don't ever see myself wearing that cause I wouldn't want to show my stomach either. My style is pretty weird, I know nobody is asking the way I dress but I dress like a Tom Boy. I wear long skirt, long dresses & a lot of the same stuff that you mentioned. I don't like labels but you might have seen how I have Nirvana in my signature, I love the Grunge style and I hate showing off any of my skin. I love flannels, long layered shirts, hoodies and Doc Martens. My mother doesn't like my style either, she doesn't have to like it, only I do. I'm the person who wearing this clothing. It should matter what only you think of your style and if you want to change your style later down the road, than that's fine too. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Don't let their comments bring you down, I'm sure you look fine in your style. Lots of people ask me why am I still wearing a fashion that's from the 90's when the 90's are dead but I don't care. What people say to me doesn't matter to me, I love my style and I love the way I dress. If people want to make fun of me for the way I dress, than they can go ahead and make fun of me. Cause I'm the person that's wearing the clothing, their not. So why should it concern them. And I highly doubt you look like a man sweetie. ~hugs~

Animelover10102 said:
It seems like my mother and sister dislike my dressing style. I mean, I have pretty good taste in picking out clothes. I don't like short shorts, miniskirts, low V-necks, short party dresses, crop-tops and whatever other clothing that is non-modest.

I like old fashioned clothing. Like modestly cut shorts and skirts, longer dresses, tights, boots, button-down collared shirts, dress pants, and sweaters and vests.I mean, those aren't horrible clothes, are they? They say I dress like an old woman. I'd rather dress like an old woman than a skank, tbh.

Whenever I try and dress up nice, they always put me down, so I wind up wearing boring clothes. They don't make me feel any prettier. I'm already self-conscious about how I look, since I look like a man.

Little late, but it's okay. I'm a man and I find women who dress like a slut (which most recent fashions seem to be) repulsive. But if they feel happy in that, then that's their choice. So I don't mind so much. You should find what you're happy in and wear it, regardless of what others may think of you. And I'm sure you don't look like a man either. :)

Latest posts

Back