Ways to cope with those 'down moments' this Christmas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeysocks

Reaction score
For those of us who celebrate Christmas, it is also a time of reflection, which can also magnify unhappiness.

I thought perhaps this thread could 'between us' come up with ways and ideas to help each other during any 'down' moments.

So please feel free to express your views, or concerns.

While a great deal of us celebrate Christmas, eating food, drinking, and gift giving. Quite often, the last thing on our minds are those poor souls that aren't blessed with that kind of holiday warmth. While we are sucking down the eggnog, we don't think of the homeless who are sitting in an alley freezing. Others are alone without any family to celebrate with, and that poor person standing on the edge of a bridge summoning the nerve to jump due to serious pains in their heart caused by all the love they see around them and know they will never have.

As I did last Christmas Eve and morning. I will often break away from the family to browse the forum for those who have nobody to celebrate with or talk to. This forum and its members have been very good to me. Answering my internet questions that I should already know after being online for a little north of 5 years now, teaching me things, and support in many aspects.

Although I don't get along with some members, that doesn't mean that I hate them. There have been many times that I've been down in the dumps and have received much help. None of it went overlooked. I don't care if I'm in and out of my room all day during this time of year when I should be at the table eating or opening gifts. I have my physical family, and I have you all who are my cyber family. I care a great deal about both.

God Bless.
Jason

That is a great post LK

It is a shame that we can't all see eye to eye even in life, Especially on here because after all we are all backing the same cause. But understand as sometimes its hard to interpret posts, or others actions when such is the only platform to Judge the underlying personalities, but can often miss out by wrong judgement and miss out on good people by doing so.

Totally respect what you have said, because it is fair and honest.

I will have sad moments this Christmas, but I know mine will be far less than some peoples, because I do have a partner and a roof over my head.

I will and do miss my family and friends so terribly, but will cope with it by be thankful that they are alive and well.

So my suggestion to others is to look at the approaching new year as 'new opportunities' just as life turns a corner it can turn a good one too. ..........and quite rightly come on here to talk to other members.

I have often made somewhat of a fuss about how I don't celebrate holidays at all. But then again, such a thing is quite easily accomplished when one is a healthy young man, single, and unemployed.

I think, however, that I will make an effort to celebrate the holidays this year. Well, christmas at least. Thanksgiving too, I guess. Interestingly enough, perhaps we could have some sort of holiday challenge scavenger hunt, or something. We could post challenges to each other to take pictures of various objects and post them in a challenge thread. Participation would be optional, of course. And the internet can either be "on" or "off" limits. We could have it all through the month of december, yes?

I'd participate. :)

Wessik said:
I have often made somewhat of a fuss about how I don't celebrate holidays at all. But then again, such a thing is quite easily accomplished when one is a healthy young man, single, and unemployed.

I think, however, that I will make an effort to celebrate the holidays this year. Well, christmas at least. Thanksgiving too, I guess. Interestingly enough, perhaps we could have some sort of holiday challenge scavenger hunt, or something. We could post challenges to each other to take pictures of various objects and post them in a challenge thread. Participation would be optional, of course. And the internet can either be "on" or "off" limits. We could have it all through the month of december, yes?

I'd participate. :)
Man. I really gotta get a digicam. This idea sounds cool.

Cool. I guess we just need a challenge thread with official rules or something. Want me to make it? Or should a moderator?

Yes nice idea Wessix

I survive Christmas simply by not being stuck at home, sat alone with my thoughts and regrets, more of an avoidance I guess but it helps me through the season. I’ll send the usual cards and money to my sisters who will ignore them like usual, I’ll stay behind late at work to cover for those who have families to get home too and shovel snow for anyone who needs it. Basically do anything to stop my mind from dwelling.

I’m going to be volunteering at a homeless shelter this Christmas (of which I am also a resident – yay me) but will be helping to serve dinner and just talk/spend time at an old people’s home on Christmas Eve and the New Year. I’m also putting together a toy box for a local children’s hospital for the big day, nothing too lavish but things like soft toys, books, comics and cars etc. it’s heartbreaking to see how many kids are left alone by their families at Christmas and the staff are always grateful for anything to help.

So yeah, from December 21 until early 2013 I’m going to be keeping busy and not thinking about stuff, it’s the only way I can survive it.

Latest posts

Back