What are you thinking right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking why the heck don't I get notifications for this thread for weeks on end then one appears out of the blue and there are pages and pages to read. The wonders of technology failed again

There's nothing wrong with you. Now, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is yet to be determined.

Why this always happens to me... I want at least one WORKING computer in my lifetime.
chat21.gif

Were we always a species dominated by whiny, entitled cry-babies, who are only happy when they've found something to be offended about? I vaguely remember the pre-Internet era and I don't remember everyone being such sensitive little flowers.

user 130057 said:
Were we always a species dominated by whiny, entitled cry-babies, who are only happy when they've found something to be offended about? I vaguely remember the pre-Internet era and I don't remember everyone being such sensitive little flowers.

It's funny, I was just watching a World War II documentary and whatever their faults, none of the leaders involved could be accused of this. People in general seem like they were so much more stoic up untill a few decades ago.

^^ +1 user 130057

Also, people who act like jerks on line but wouldn't DARE to act the same way in real life.
Passive-aggressive comments that they know can't be proven to be directed at anyone, but you still know they were aimed at specific people. It's kind of cowardly. Too bad some people have to resort to calling names instead of being able to have a real discussion. :D

The internet has brought out the worst, provided the biggest outlet possible...there would've been some great hashtag campaigns during WW2, don't you think?

Rodent said:
The internet has brought out the worst, provided the biggest outlet possible...there would've been some great hashtag campaigns during WW2, don't you think?

Maybe yeah. I feel like they'd still be less whingy though for the most part. Can't imagine safespaces being around then anyway.

Paraiyar said:
Rodent said:

Maybe yeah. I feel like they'd still be less whingy though for the most part. Can't imagine safespaces being around then anyway.

We'll never know. After a long enough period of exposure they might as well have turned into the likes of (some of) us. Judging by what happened to this world without the internet so far, I won't estimate what's a worse fate actually.

...back then the only "safespaces" were basements and attics.

Rodent said:

IMO so many people just seem painfully self-absorbed, shallow and image obsessed these days and I think the internet and modern media has played a big part in that actually.

Self-centred social media accounts, instagram accounts that exist purely for selfies, people begging for cash for a new handbag on Kickstarter...

I was thinking the other day "What values do I think are important in a person? What makes someone a *good* person?"
Compassion, loyalty, honesty, bravery, intelligence?

When was the last time any of those were present in one of these ever-popular "reality TV stars"?

user 130057 said:

I've been trying to avoid this topic on here and elsewhere, because honestly, it makes me very angry. But since it's gone on for almost a page I feel like it's gotten pretty hard to avoid. I'm not yelling at you, user 130057, so please don't feel like I am attacking you. I just feel I have to speak my peace.

It really pisses me off when I hear that older generations refer to mine as "entitled". To me it's a slap in the face and a refusal to acknowledge the faults of the speaker's own generation, because whichever that may be, many of the faults were the same. It's a way for a person of the older generation to say, "I've had my fun and that's all that matters. I've got mine, screw you". What about the hedonistic 80s, which were defined by materialism, cocaine, and "greed is good"? Doesn't sound like hard work or old-fashioned values to me. What about all the hippies who wanted to do drugs, have "free love", drop out, and not go to Vietnam? What about all the non-hippies of the same generation, cruising around in their muscle cars without a care in the world for the environment or about much of anything besides their own enjoyment? What about the original 1970s punks who didn't want to work either? What about the grungers who just wanted to slack off?

What about all of the union activists during the industrial revolution who literally fought for things such as a 40-hour work week, weekends, and no child labor?

The other generations were just as selfish and hedonistic and irresponsible. On the other side of the coin, pretty much everything that makes life more enjoyable and fair was at one point considered a luxury or an "entitlement" and anyone who thought things should be better than they were because it was only decent, was a "whiner". Health care, the right to vote, weekends, holidays, paid vacation, not being discriminated against - at one point not so long ago, going to high school was an "entitlement". Even learning to read, something we wouldn't think twice about today, was an "entitlement" and I'm sure the well-off said the same thing about those uppity peasants.

I don't really know what these "safe spaces" are, but they sound like a lot better of idea for dealing with people's feelings than other ways which might come up if people feel like nobody is listening or that nobody cares. I also find it ironic that people on here have such a problem with "safe spaces", because is that not the purpose of this very forum? To be a safe space to ask for help, to vent, to open up about how you feel instead of bottling it up inside?

Anything that falls under "human rights" is an entitlement.
Almost all human morality and ethics is based off some kind of entitlement.
The other brand of morality is reciprocity, which people often try to avoid when possible.

I think the entitlement "because I want it" rather than "because I worked to deserve it" has snowballed over time, but that's the fumble of the predecessors.

AmytheTemperamental said:
^ Well said

Thank you. I'm glad that it's not just me who feels that way.

I just really hate the pompous, self-righteous mindset of "if we wanted anything back in my day, we had to walk for miles in the snow uphill both ways and I'm so tough for getting through it" mindset. Perhaps if I become good enough at guitar I can write a turbocharged, in-your-face grunge song about it and release some of those feelings:

[youtube]JCGvONbVCa0[/youtube]

We had the entitled to basic rights vs. entitled to luxuries/pleasantries talk before, so I'll just respond to this...and it's the thinking thread, so I don't wanna go off a tangent too much.

TheSkaFish said:
I don't really know what these "safe spaces" are, but they sound like a lot better of idea for dealing with people's feelings than other ways which might come up if people feel like nobody is listening or that nobody cares. I also find it ironic that people on here have such a problem with "safe spaces", because is that not the purpose of this very forum? To be a safe space to ask for help, to vent, to open up about how you feel instead of bottling it up inside?

The term safe-space has become somewhat of an abomination these days. Originally it was LGBT-related, but not anymore in a broader sense. They deal with people's feelings, going as far as protecting them...but from what? Basically from all criticism or opposing ideas, because certain people can't stand viewpoints which oppose their own or that not everyone in this world thinks the way they do in their very own heads. Which is a way to censor the rational opposition as well, because for some reason feelings are more important than reality or reason.

user 130057 said:

Because too many people think they have the right to not be offended. They think that we should all cater to them and care that they're too sensitive and that they get offended. They believe they should be coddled, and no one should ever say anything that should offend them. And this political correctness that's poisoning the world right now isn't helping any.

TheSkaFish said:
user 130057 said:

I've been trying to avoid this topic on here and elsewhere, because honestly, it makes me very angry. But since it's gone on for almost a page I feel like it's gotten pretty hard to avoid. I'm not yelling at you, user 130057, so please don't feel like I am attacking you. I just feel I have to speak my peace.

It really pisses me off when I hear that older generations refer to mine as "entitled". To me it's a slap in the face and a refusal to acknowledge the faults of the speaker's own generation, because whichever that may be, many of the faults were the same. It's a way for a person of the older generation to say, "I've had my fun and that's all that matters. I've got mine, screw you". What about the hedonistic 80s, which were defined by materialism, cocaine, and "greed is good"? Doesn't sound like hard work or old-fashioned values to me. What about all the hippies who wanted to do drugs, have "free love", drop out, and not go to Vietnam? What about all the non-hippies of the same generation, cruising around in their muscle cars without a care in the world for the environment or about much of anything besides their own enjoyment? What about the original 1970s punks who didn't want to work either? What about the grungers who just wanted to slack off?

What about all of the union activists during the industrial revolution who literally fought for things such as a 40-hour work week, weekends, and no child labor?

The other generations were just as selfish and hedonistic and irresponsible. On the other side of the coin, pretty much everything that makes life more enjoyable and fair was at one point considered a luxury or an "entitlement" and anyone who thought things should be better than they were because it was only decent, was a "whiner". Health care, the right to vote, weekends, holidays, paid vacation, not being discriminated against - at one point not so long ago, going to high school was an "entitlement". Even learning to read, something we wouldn't think twice about today, was an "entitlement" and I'm sure the well-off said the same thing about those uppity peasants.

The first sentence of your last paragraph kind of invalidates it because you've misunderstood what is actually being referred to with the term "Safe space." As Rodent pointed out in other words, it's basically a place where parasite SJW's think they can prevent all opposition to their opinions, not because they can fault it logically but because it offends them. Nothing about that, or the SJW movement in general is something worth comparing to unions trying to end child labour or most of the other examples that you make. That is not what this forum is at all, the purpose of this forum is indeed closer to what you describe in your bottom sentence though it isn't a place where people have the right not to have others disagree with them which is what a safe space.

What I sympathise with in your post however is the fact that these people only represent a relatively small portion of our generation but members of older generations that complain about us tend to make it out to like we're all this way. But user 130057's comment was still somewhat valid because a lot of these people have managed to get way more influence than they deserve. Anita Sarkeesian is just one example that comes to mind.

*double checks to make sure I'm in the thinking thread*
Sounds like we might need an entitlement thread. lol

Once again, you stupid dumbfucks are going to take money away from me that I could have had NOW (when I ******* NEED it) just to keep it for 6 months and give it back to me.
Why don't you pull your heads out of your ******* asses and look at what you're doing instead of blinding doing whatever the fresia you want because of who you are? Seriously, this is just asinine.

Paraiyar said:
TheSkaFish said:
It really pisses me off when I hear that older generations refer to mine as "entitled".

The first sentence of your last paragraph kind of invalidates it because you've misunderstood what is actually being referred to with the term "Safe space." As Rodent pointed out in other words, it's basically a place where parasite SJW's think they can prevent all opposition to their opinions, not because they can fault it logically but because it offends them. Nothing about that, or the SJW movement in general is something worth comparing to unions trying to end child labour or most of the other examples that you make. That is not what this forum is at all, the purpose of this forum is indeed closer to what you describe in your bottom sentence though it isn't a place where people have the right not to have others disagree with them which is what a safe space.

What I sympathise with in your post however is the fact that these people only represent a relatively small portion of our generation but members of older generations that complain about us tend to make it out to like we're all this way. But user 130057's comment was still somewhat valid because a lot of these people have managed to get way more influence than they deserve. Anita Sarkeesian is just one example that comes to mind.

I think that bit invalidates the point. Because it's that exact attitude about it that makes someone say a generation is "entitled" in the first place. Why be pissed off at that? It's obviously said for a reason, even if it's not a very agreeable thing to say. And just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that it can't be applied. Okay, maybe you're not entitled, but could you see, for two seconds, why someone older than you, who's gone through more in their lifetime, would say that? Seeing it through someone else's eyes can definitely open up a different view.

Latest posts

Back