What Do You Think Causes Loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiceCrispie

Reaction score
I'm on a mission, To get to the bottom of my loneliness. Just throwing this out here to get some insights and help move past it. So please chime in with your insights and /or experiences or whatever...

All my life I have felt lonely. Apart from when I have a 'aha moment' or I am chasing something.(then I forget my loneliness lol) I gave up on dating, (Single woman, 55, ) because I just cant seem to feel anything with anyone and never have. Maybe that spark is real and needed To forge lasting connections, but then I am reminded that, even after the spark has gone ( Judging by others relationships) people still divorce. So it cant be all that important, at least in the long run. I've got 2 grown children from my last relationship of 12 years. I never felt that spark and was never in love with him, and we split over 10 years ago, grew apart, and tried dating but nothing comes of it. I have had crushes, but nothing came of it, so I have never bothered dating since. I am ok with being alone but thats because I have always felt separate anyway even though it's painful at times. I don't know what an actual romantic relationship feels like apart from seeing people together and thinking that must be nice. But still, it's alien to me.

I'm not sure I know what the cause is, so I am just looking at patterns in my life and seeing if something stands out thats causing it. Feeling disconnected does show up in that I feel unknown to others, and others feel unknown to me.

What do you all think? I have read this loneliness thing is beginning to be an epidemic of sorts.

I also think, I'm kinda onto something😊.

The way society is these days, mostly, at least in many developed countries, it has lost the connection between people. People don’t have a sense of belonging anymore for the most part. That’s why gangs work well for some people, clubs for others, hobby groups, sports, etc. People are looking for place to fit in and share with others. Same with relationships; the “spark” is elusive for many, but if there is a good connection, a bond where the couple enjoy spending time together and doing things together, then they feel like they’re a part of something, have worth. Loneliness is just a feeling of not belonging anywhere, having no value to anyone, having nobody to share your time and what’s on your mind with someone. In the olden days communities spent a lot of time with each other and everyone knew everyone, and in some small places they still do. But with all the tech of communication these days, it’s easy to put off immediately conversing with someone because we know we can do it in a minute, so there’s no urgency and a minute becomes and hour which becomes a day, a week, a month and eventually one hasn’t spoken to a friend for years. And “friends” are rarer too, real friends. Too many people are so caught up in their own lives that they just forget about others and people put in a lot less effort to keep in touch and keep relationships active. I’ve been married for over 25 years, I’m lonely. I’ve put in a lot of time and effort to maintain my friendships, but they’ve all disappeared except for one. I’ve barely got a family member to talk to. These days I just try to keep myself busy, without having any expectations for sudden excitement or fun times. I feel out of place most places I go now and with most people I meet. I’m tired of disingenuous people. I’m used to loneliness. I can’t see it being any different now.

Being alone causes loneliness.
Simple.
Humans are social animals, and social rejection is devastating to us.
It may wane with time, and the pain may diminish, but still, it will have profound effects.
Using myself as an example, I went from:
1) Longing to belong (being rejected and picked on from start of kindergarten to HS graduation)
2) Happy for not being picked on (end of HS through college )
3) Superiority complex that I could afford any hot prostitute I wanted and could get laid at will (19 - mid 30s)
4) Feeling that I was missing out on not having a girl that truly loved me (mid 30s to mid 40s)
5) Absolute regret for the way my life has played out (mid 40s to mid 50s)
6) Praying for a massive heart attack to end this misery (a few years ago to now)

I KNOW other people have it worse. MUCH worse. Not looking for sympathy here.
But just saying that not having a "real" relationship...is not so great...

Trying too hard to be liked as an adolescent is a major factor. It makes someone a natural target for bullying, but it's worse because they have a hand in their own humiliation. At some point, the lonely individual may grow a spine, but by then it might be too late, adolescence is over and all those crucial experiences for healthy adjustment can't happen. Now they're stranded in adulthood with less experience than a teen.

A rough timeline could go something like:

Born with some Innate introversion, perhaps autism.

Overbearing/emasculating mother figure (absolutely terrible for a boy), abuse, or helicopter parenting.

Emotionally unstable/needy/insecure behaviour starts to get noticed by other kids by around middle school.

From there on bullying and social exclusion turns life into a daily torment.

The individual leaves school then wastes the remainder of their youth hiding away with gaming or drugs/alcohol to recover.

This goes on for years, eventually leading a person to grow out-of-sync with their age group. Their peer groups lifestyles and sensibilities change, but they do not, ensuring social isolation as an adult and of course total inability to function romantically with someone age appropriate.

Last edited:
It's different for everyone...

I don't think I really started to feel quite so acutely lonely, until maybe about, six years ago. Mostly I've enjoyed my solitude through out life. Though it's a feeling that has cropped up at different times through out my life as well.

As for romantic love? I think one knows when they've experienced it. There's a poem or two out there on the subject, hehe :p

I'm not sure I could completely imagine what it would be like to be in love and also to have that affection mirrored back. I can't quite completely imagine what building that life together would be like.

I can imagine how it might fade, and perhaps even turn into something ugly and painful. And I can imagine if it only grew stronger, rather than fade, or if it was rekindled, after the fire went out; I can imagine it would still be very painful, to have to say good-bye, some day.

Being alone causes loneliness.
Simple.

I knew I was onto something 😊

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. interesting responses. I got my answer. Yes it's so simple I overlooked it. So now i'm just dealing with the effects. TY

It all comes down to the connection. If you don't have those true connections with someone, you are likely going to feel lonely. Sometimes, even if you do have those connections you could feel lonely, but I think in those cases, it falls on you because you don't embrace those connections for whatever reason.

Trying too hard to be liked as an adolescent is a major factor.
You are aware that literally everyone "tries too hard" as an adolescent, right? Even the good looking/popular/bullies do that.

It all comes down to the connection. If you don't have those true connections with someone, you are likely going to feel lonely. Sometimes, even if you do have those connections you could feel lonely, but I think in those cases, it falls on you because you don't embrace those connections for whatever reason
Yeh that’s another good point.

Reminds me of Tom Hanks character in the movie cast away. Wilson was invented As his only friend for sanity’s sake.

It all comes down to the connection. If you don't have those true connections with someone, you are likely going to feel lonely. Sometimes, even if you do have those connections you could feel lonely, but I think in those cases, it falls on you because you don't embrace those connections for whatever reason.

You are aware that literally everyone "tries too hard" as an adolescent, right? Even the good looking/popular/bullies do that.
I'm not talking about fitting in at that age. Everyone does that. When trying to be liked involves attempts at being nice and agreeable in order to get people to like you, in a group of teen boys that'll get taken as weakness and make the person a target.

I'm not talking about fitting in at that age. Everyone does that. When trying to be liked involves attempts at being nice and agreeable in order to get people to like you, in a group of teen boys that'll get taken as weakness and make the person a target.

I know a guy who is living proof that things aren't always like that. He's small, thin, very agreeable, has a long, smooth, almost blond hair and the empathic voice of a skilful tenor, tries to be friends with all people and is equally loved by everyone else. It was always like that, ever since we became friends when we were kids. I think it has more to do with your natural charisma (or lack thereof) than with seeming weak and/or an easy target, or maybe things are just different here than they are in other parts of the world, I don't know. In any case, I can tell from experience that keeping too much to yourself is more likely to be a cause for bullying/harassment than attempting to be nice and agreeable, at least in my case. The way I see it, people of all walks of life generally appreciate when you go out of your way to be nice and agreeable.

I know a guy who is living proof that things aren't always like that. He's small, thin, very agreeable, has a long, smooth, almost blond hair and the empathic voice of a skilful tenor, tries to be friends with all people and is equally loved by everyone else. It was always like that, ever since we became friends when we were kids. I think it has more to do with your natural charisma (or lack thereof) than with seeming weak and/or an easy target, or maybe things are just different here than they are in other parts of the world, I don't know. In any case, I can tell from experience that keeping too much to yourself is more likely to be a cause for bullying/harassment than attempting to be nice and agreeable, at least in my case. The way I see it, people of all walks of life generally appreciate when you go out of your way to be nice and agreeable.
Charisma helps but I don't think being nice with a need to be liked in return is very charismatic. And yes, different cultures. No, I'm not very charismaticm but being earnest around most of the kids I grew up with would have you labelled a f*ggot. Things might have changed, and of course people become polite with age, but once the damage is done and adolescence/young adulthood is over....well that's kind of it. Even if you come across nicer people later in life, it's hard to capitalize on that, being a humiliated individual with shattered self esteem and none of the normal experiences at your age.

Last edited:

Thankfully that wasn't the case with my group, we could always be genuine with each other.

But I do realize that is the exception, not the rule. I saw a lot of the behavior you described, all the time.

Often times it wasn't just being nice and agreeable to get people to like you, but just being nice and agreeable at all, for any reason, was enough to make you a target - which was frustrating for me, because that was my default personality. I just didn't have an instinctive drive for aggression and dominance. I didn't have the need, I didn't have the interest. It doesn't mean I was submissive either as I hated it - HATED it - when anyone tried that with me. I felt like I see sawed between "I don't want to be 'bad', I want to be nice, you're supposed to be nice, you're supposed to be the bigger person", and "I want to bash this SOB's head in". It was like mashing the gas and brakes at the same time.

And again, I thought this need for aggression, was the primitive old world, where life was lousy for most people and we didn't know better than to be competitive and violent. I thought that in the new technological and empathetic world, we didn't need it anymore, we out-evolved it. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like the case.

And again, I thought this need for aggression, was the primitive old world, where life was lousy for most people and we didn't know better than to be competitive and violent. I thought that in the new technological and empathetic world, we didn't need it anymore, we out-evolved it. Unfortunately that doesn't seem like the case.

It does seem like the world is becoming increasingly more competitive and violent, and that at the same time as the powers that be push narratives of "inclusivity", "tolerance", respect for "human rights" and all the other stuff like that. I believe this is an example of what some people call "cognitive dissonance".

I'm on a mission, To get to the bottom of my loneliness. Just throwing this out here to get some insights and help move past it. So please chime in with your insights and /or experiences or whatever...

All my life I have felt lonely. Apart from when I have a 'aha moment' or I am chasing something.(then I forget my loneliness lol) I gave up on dating, (Single woman, 55, ) because I just cant seem to feel anything with anyone and never have. Maybe that spark is real and needed To forge lasting connections, but then I am reminded that, even after the spark has gone ( Judging by others relationships) people still divorce. So it cant be all that important, at least in the long run. I've got 2 grown children from my last relationship of 12 years. I never felt that spark and was never in love with him, and we split over 10 years ago, grew apart, and tried dating but nothing comes of it. I have had crushes, but nothing came of it, so I have never bothered dating since. I am ok with being alone but thats because I have always felt separate anyway even though it's painful at times. I don't know what an actual romantic relationship feels like apart from seeing people together and thinking that must be nice. But still, it's alien to me.

I'm not sure I know what the cause is, so I am just looking at patterns in my life and seeing if something stands out thats causing it. Feeling disconnected does show up in that I feel unknown to others, and others feel unknown to me.

What do you all think? I have read this loneliness thing is beginning to be an epidemic of sorts.

I also think, I'm kinda onto something😊.
Even people in relationships can feel alone. I'm struggling with a similar problem. I struggle to feel anything when I'm with someone, because deep down I know how shallow love (lust?) is.

But I still have hope, hope of finding something meaningful where I can be me with no illusion and feel connected with someone.

So currently I'm trying to just be friendly and avoid the shallowness and see if something special comes along. It's almost worse to be with someone and feel utterly alone thant just being by oneself imo

For me loneliness can be felt standing in a crowd, or even while in bed with someone.I'm tired of living and feeling like a peice of meat 😆

Surely there is someone out there that can renovate these cold empty rooms of my heart with pleasantries and joy, even something substantial, and fulfill hope in something meaningful. Maybe that someone can just be me with a better sense of self worth 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe loneliness is a feeling generated by a problem within? Some unfulfilled spiritual need that can be present even when with someone? That need may even cause our relationships to collapse because it goes unsatisfied, and ironically leads to being alone...

But I still have hope, hope of finding something meaningful where I can be me with no illusion and feel connected with someone
That’s a good position to be in.

I have seen what despair does. It’s hard to maintain though.( hope)
I think if we find people Who can identify with us and see us so to speak, and know our pain, it’s a relief of sorts.

Yes being alone causes loneliness as we are separate from one another. But being seen without judgements is important to to form a connection.

I find this place has that element I’m looking for.

Lonely people can be a magnet for other lonely people if they are first aware that they are lonely. And I have only just realised what’s causing my pain.

TY

"Introverts Unite!
Separately, in your own homes.
✊ "

No, seriously though?
I think it's a combination of things.
For one thing, technological advancements over time have made it to where it's easier to be alone than it used to be decades, centuries, and millennia's ago.
Too much social isolation was dangerous in histories past before the advancements of modern medicine and science. Because our bodies are 60% water, the most probable causes of death in ancient times was disease and viruses, followed closely by famine, and then most likely murder. These aren't really problems we have to worry about as much so anymore, save for murder as humans are still quite excessively violent.
If you get sick and have an infection or a virus you go to the doctor and get vaccinated or get antibiotics and in extreme cases emergency surgery, but basically most things are treatable these days, lest you're particularly lacking in intelligence and decide that ether is a drug worth trying and ignore the fact that it contains a percentage of sulfur, in which case I mean it probably won't kill you BUT eventually it will because that can't be good or your internal organs.

The thing about solitude when you're introverted in particular is that it can become addictive in its own, and often without us even really realizing it. Solitude is helpful because we need to recharge our energy as socializing is exhausting to us, but equally so too much solitude is dangerous to our mental health in a similar way that the occasional alcoholic beverage for special occasions is fine and mostly harmless, but day drinking is really unhealthy (and I can say that, as I'm a recovered alcoholic).

And if you're a creative introvert, well then you really can keep it up for forever by just perpetually creating new ways to keep your mind going. The downside of this is that in instances in which you actually need assistance from other people it either isn't there at all, or attempting to get assistance will just fall through due to your natural lack of or underdeveloped social skills.

For example, while I'm told by people that I'm well written and well spoken and seem intelligent to them, when I was in my mid and late 20s I had lots of trouble with cars that I had. They'd break down, I'd have to get parts, I worked far away from where I lived at the time (upward of over 10 or 15 miles away) and because I didn't really have the knowledge, tools or skills to do something like change a water pump because I was never taught how to, repairs and replacements costed me a lot of money, and walking to work every day for about 3 weeks not only sucked but also I was too tired to even begin to learn how to assess my car myself. Even now that I'm in better health and am more used to being in that kind of a situation, 10 or 15 miles is still 10 or 15 miles, and an 8 hour shift of standing is still an 8 hour shift of standing. The situation is an impractical situation. I did occasionally have coworkers that would give me a ride back, but that's mainly because they understood the full spectrum of it as they happened to be going that direction to get to their homes too. During this time period I spent most of my time alone when I wasn't at work, it was actually a very hard time for me, and this is how I discovered that too much loneliness can be dangerous to your mental health.

The Prefrontal Cortex of the brain is also where Rumination occurs, which is what happens when your mind Idles too long and you start thinking about negative things rather cyclically in what is called the Default Mode. There are a couple of different ways that this can be assessed: In times past, that would be why housewives used to be given lobotomies for depression which, because it's a lobotomy, of course it would screw up their cognitive functionalities a bit and that's how you get ridiculous home remedies like putting cold meat on your face to reduce swelling (while it does help, it's no less a ridiculous notion). Usage of psychedelic drugs can stimulate neurotransmitter growth which actually helps fight against this as well, but the most common treatment is SSRI's and therapy.

A generalized lack of compassion or empathy is a growing concern and problem in society, which also does not help. This occurs in part because of the uncanny and unfortunate part of the human mind to rely on other humans as utilities. Because we're thinking of other humans as utilities or tools, we cannot assess them as the cognitive and sentient people that they actually are. This is the problem with the idea of social constructionism and the part of the logical deductive reasoning mind, is that the part of the mind that sees others as a tool or a utility and/or resource is a different part of the mind than that part of the mind that actually understands people as the cognitive and sentient beings that they actually are. That's the problem. It's a bit like a car stereo system: Can it play tapes and/or CDs? Yes, it can. But is that what it's best used as? No, it's mostly best used as a radio (unless your antenna is broken).

The other part of the problem is that combating the external assumption of yourself as a utility, tool or resource to other people is legitimately challenging BECAUSE they're not looking at you from the proper perspective of you as a cognitive and sentient being. So, you've gotta shake them up a little. That's challenging and difficult to do because with some people they just won't understand why it happened or why it is happening. A bit like interlocking a couple of wrenches on a tensioner to loosen up a serpentine belt system: Too much tension and you'll accidentally break the wrench. Some people will instantly know why the wrench broke, other people won't get it and will only get angry and upset because the wrench broke. It's a polarizing experience to give kickback in your own defense, is why people react differently to it. And the problem is: That's not your problem, and there's kind of no way to avoid that, so it's just something you kind of have to get used to doing which can cause a lot of tension and/or screwing up of your relationships with other people.

I think that if people actually understood that it's a problem with comprehension and understanding more than it is a problem of self-interest that things would probably go smoother in such turbulence. If the angry person who broke the wrench by accident actually understood that the reason why the wrench broke was their own fault be it accidental or otherwise, a lesson is learned on what not to do again. But they don't understand that. What they understand is that they have a problem that they now cannot assess and they do not know why. And therein lies the miscommunication. They're supposed to care, it's supposed to matter, but because they don't care and it doesn't matter to them that is why they do not understand or get it.

*looks back at this post*
Apparently I just improvise writing biblical script when I post. :unsure:

"Introverts Unite!
Separately, in your own homes.
✊ "

No, seriously though?
I think it's a combination of things.
For one thing, technological advancements over time have made it to where it's easier to be alone than it used to be decades, centuries, and millennia's ago.
Too much social isolation was dangerous in histories past before the advancements of modern medicine and science. Because our bodies are 60% water, the most probable causes of death in ancient times was disease and viruses, followed closely by famine, and then most likely murder. These aren't really problems we have to worry about as much so anymore, save for murder as humans are still quite excessively violent.
If you get sick and have an infection or a virus you go to the doctor and get vaccinated or get antibiotics and in extreme cases emergency surgery, but basically most things are treatable these days, lest you're particularly lacking in intelligence and decide that ether is a drug worth trying and ignore the fact that it contains a percentage of sulfur, in which case I mean it probably won't kill you BUT eventually it will because that can't be good or your internal organs.

The thing about solitude when you're introverted in particular is that it can become addictive in its own, and often without us even really realizing it. Solitude is helpful because we need to recharge our energy as socializing is exhausting to us, but equally so too much solitude is dangerous to our mental health in a similar way that the occasional alcoholic beverage for special occasions is fine and mostly harmless, but day drinking is really unhealthy (and I can say that, as I'm a recovered alcoholic).

And if you're a creative introvert, well then you really can keep it up for forever by just perpetually creating new ways to keep your mind going. The downside of this is that in instances in which you actually need assistance from other people it either isn't there at all, or attempting to get assistance will just fall through due to your natural lack of or underdeveloped social skills.

For example, while I'm told by people that I'm well written and well spoken and seem intelligent to them, when I was in my mid and late 20s I had lots of trouble with cars that I had. They'd break down, I'd have to get parts, I worked far away from where I lived at the time (upward of over 10 or 15 miles away) and because I didn't really have the knowledge, tools or skills to do something like change a water pump because I was never taught how to, repairs and replacements costed me a lot of money, and walking to work every day for about 3 weeks not only sucked but also I was too tired to even begin to learn how to assess my car myself. Even now that I'm in better health and am more used to being in that kind of a situation, 10 or 15 miles is still 10 or 15 miles, and an 8 hour shift of standing is still an 8 hour shift of standing. The situation is an impractical situation. I did occasionally have coworkers that would give me a ride back, but that's mainly because they understood the full spectrum of it as they happened to be going that direction to get to their homes too. During this time period I spent most of my time alone when I wasn't at work, it was actually a very hard time for me, and this is how I discovered that too much loneliness can be dangerous to your mental health.

The Prefrontal Cortex of the brain is also where Rumination occurs, which is what happens when your mind Idles too long and you start thinking about negative things rather cyclically in what is called the Default Mode. There are a couple of different ways that this can be assessed: In times past, that would be why housewives used to be given lobotomies for depression which, because it's a lobotomy, of course it would screw up their cognitive functionalities a bit and that's how you get ridiculous home remedies like putting cold meat on your face to reduce swelling (while it does help, it's no less a ridiculous notion). Usage of psychedelic drugs can stimulate neurotransmitter growth which actually helps fight against this as well, but the most common treatment is SSRI's and therapy.

A generalized lack of compassion or empathy is a growing concern and problem in society, which also does not help. This occurs in part because of the uncanny and unfortunate part of the human mind to rely on other humans as utilities. Because we're thinking of other humans as utilities or tools, we cannot assess them as the cognitive and sentient people that they actually are. This is the problem with the idea of social constructionism and the part of the logical deductive reasoning mind, is that the part of the mind that sees others as a tool or a utility and/or resource is a different part of the mind than that part of the mind that actually understands people as the cognitive and sentient beings that they actually are. That's the problem. It's a bit like a car stereo system: Can it play tapes and/or CDs? Yes, it can. But is that what it's best used as? No, it's mostly best used as a radio (unless your antenna is broken).

The other part of the problem is that combating the external assumption of yourself as a utility, tool or resource to other people is legitimately challenging BECAUSE they're not looking at you from the proper perspective of you as a cognitive and sentient being. So, you've gotta shake them up a little. That's challenging and difficult to do because with some people they just won't understand why it happened or why it is happening. A bit like interlocking a couple of wrenches on a tensioner to loosen up a serpentine belt system: Too much tension and you'll accidentally break the wrench. Some people will instantly know why the wrench broke, other people won't get it and will only get angry and upset because the wrench broke. It's a polarizing experience to give kickback in your own defense, is why people react differently to it. And the problem is: That's not your problem, and there's kind of no way to avoid that, so it's just something you kind of have to get used to doing which can cause a lot of tension and/or screwing up of your relationships with other people.

I think that if people actually understood that it's a problem with comprehension and understanding more than it is a problem of self-interest that things would probably go smoother in such turbulence. If the angry person who broke the wrench by accident actually understood that the reason why the wrench broke was their own fault be it accidental or otherwise, a lesson is learned on what not to do again. But they don't understand that. What they understand is that they have a problem that they now cannot assess and they do not know why. And therein lies the miscommunication. They're supposed to care, it's supposed to matter, but because they don't care and it doesn't matter to them that is why they do not understand or get it.

*looks back at this post*
Apparently I just improvise writing biblical script when I post. :unsure:
Serpentine...:grimace:

Serpentine...:grimace:

Yeah, exactly. They're a p.i.t.a. 😂
It would be a lot more helpful, if they weren't crammed into tight places like they usually are in engines with not a whole lotta room to really work your hands with and feed the belt through the system.

Yeah, exactly. They're a p.i.t.a. 😂
It would be a lot more helpful, if they weren't crammed into tight places like they usually are in engines with not a whole lotta room to really work your hands with and feed the belt through the system.
It's just one of those words that sticks with me...

Serpentine.. Serpentine.. :grimace:

Latest posts

Back