What if I have 2 shots before going anywhere?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pomato

Reaction score
Seriously, my self-esteem is practically non-existent, but as usual it magically comes back when I've had a drink or two. And 2 shots/drinks of something seems to be that magical place where it's not enough to impede your performance (at least not what I do on a daily basis - go to class and type whatever the prof says) but enough to maybe push you over that extra edge. Soooo...I'm thinking when fall semester starts and I go back for my 3rd year of college, I'll try this for a week or and go to class a tiny bit jollier than usual. Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to talk to somebody with the extra push. I'm not planning to become an alcoholic obviously, but I don't see how doing an experiment like this could hurt... Has anyone else tried anything like this? Am I seriously rationalizing alcoholism here? And why can't I find anything wrong with that? Wow I'm nuts. Ok thanks bye.

Even if it worked, you will soon build up a resistance and require more alcohol to achieve the same effect. If you are genuinely interested in it as an experiment, though, I do recommend talking about it with a physician and keeping clear journals, as well as having a friend record a journal for you. For the Science and Honor, gentlemen.

I would not recommend it, though, especially with alcohol because it is a depressant - you are essentially trying to 'quiet' the anxiety part of the brain, but it also negatively impacts your cognition otherwise. Its like trying to lower the hum of your engine by reducing its overall horsepower; it might work, but it also compromises the entire purpose.

Also remember that alcoholics(and any other addict, for that matter) engage in extensive rationalization and self-justification; please don't fall into that trap.

no one plans to be an alcoholic ;)

think youd be better off gaining a little confidence and relaxe a little bit, (not that easy i know) than creating a dependency on something.
your still the same person whether you drink or not.
so you have it in you to be like that whitout the drinking.

but experimenting is always fun :D
just be carefull.

I would seriously not advise using alcohol as a way for you to boost your confidence and self-esteem.

It's too easy to fall into the trap.

Pomato said:
I'm not planning to become an alcoholic obviously, but I don't see how doing an experiment like this could hurt... Has anyone else tried anything like this? Am I seriously rationalizing alcoholism here?

Yes i tried it and eventually it was a disaster for me. Just going with the idea that it takes alcohol to function during your day is a recipe for eventual trouble. The best that could happen is for it to quickly be deemed of no real value in daily functioning and abandoned.

You should also remember that their are those that can smell two drinks on you no matter how you try to hide it and they begin to wonder when you keep showing up at school, work or where ever smelling like you had been drinking.

I would not recommend it. For a couple reasons, the first being this is a gateway to alcoholism. Anyone who says they need a drink to function properly is an alcoholic. You are a few short steps away from needing to be all out drunk to socialize.

Second, you do know that booze is expensive right? Being in college you will likely go broke doing this.

Finally, why not put forth the effort to gain the same confidence without booze? Seriously that would be a better use of your time. You save money and are not hurting your body. I guess an experiment never hurts. However, make sure it stays an experiment.

Depending on alcohol to help you go out and socialize is a bad idea. Like others have said, you will build up a tolerance and will need more and more, and possibly become an alcoholic. If you feel that anxious, why not go to a psychiatrist and ask if there is a short term anxiety medication he can give you and then wean you off. Counseling can be another option. Drinking doesn't solve anything--it is a depressant and will make you feel worse.

IgnoredOne said:
Even if it worked, you will soon build up a resistance and require more alcohol to achieve the same effect. If you are genuinely interested in it as an experiment, though, I do recommend talking about it with a physician and keeping clear journals, as well as having a friend record a journal for you. For the Science and Honor, gentlemen.

I would not recommend it, though, especially with alcohol because it is a depressant - you are essentially trying to 'quiet' the anxiety part of the brain, but it also negatively impacts your cognition otherwise. Its like trying to lower the hum of your engine by reducing its overall horsepower; it might work, but it also compromises the entire purpose.

Also remember that alcoholics(and any other addict, for that matter) engage in extensive rationalization and self-justification; please don't fall into that trap.

Agreed.

Also, remember that alcohol isn't something that MAKES you social. When people in colonies where introduced to alcohol by the English, they just got sleepy and dozed of by alcohol. It wasn't until they saw how the Englishmen used it, that they started doing it "the right way" (i.e parteey).

It tells you that you can let lose because you have been drinking. Try going out drinking with your friends or colleges, and then you don't drink anything. You'll have loads of fun, be awake for much longer, and have much better control. You do not need alcohol.

Latest posts

Back