What type of music are you into?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...feels to me like no one listens to good ol, 70s/80s punk these days. I'm talking Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Patti Smith, The Dictators, Ramones, The Clash, Buzocks, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, those kind of cool beans.

But then again, I'm a huge huge fan of Elliott Smith and I try to find any artist that relates to him or sounds anything like him, such as Nick Drake, Joshua Winter, and Tyrone Wells.

I dig reggae (Marley/Wailers of course). All time favorite is Barrington Levy.

Love true Hip Hop - the list could go on about all of those guys from the olden golden age.

Love folk and folk rock - The Mamas and the Papas are entirely fabulous in everyway. Bob Dylan, Byrds.

Doo Wop is the heart and soul. So many groups with such lovely music and hit singles, its like you never run out of fantastic songs about love.

wow...diverse a bit.

I recently started listening to music my dad used to listen to

the mamas and the papas, Cindy Crawford, Harry Belafonte, the beatles

lol but usually I listen to industrial music, rock/metal with a lot of melodic sounds in the background stuff like rammstein, nightwish and korpiklaani

plums said:
Hmm...feels to me like no one listens to good ol, 70s/80s punk these days. I'm talking Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Patti Smith, The Dictators, Ramones, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, those kind of cool beans.

But then again, I'm a huge huge fan of Elliott Smith and I try to find any artist that relates to him or sounds anything like him, such as Nick Drake, Joshua Winter, and Tyrone Wells.

Can't say I'm a punk expert, but Patti Smith is just..! The Clash and Ramones! Do you like Black Flag?

Elliott Smith too! Another huge fan here. Great taste. I'm going to have to look up those last two you put there. Someone else I like is Jackson C. Frank.

lol but usually I listen to industrial music, rock/metal with a lot of melodic sounds in the background stuff like rammstein, nightwish and korpiklaani

I approve lol :D

I listen to all sorts of music too. I tend to go through phases of listening to certain swathes of genres/musicians. It depends on my mood as well. Sometimes I'll feel like listening to things like Infected Mushroom or The Prodigy. There was one time where I was only listening to Boards of Canada. There have been a couple of times that it was exclusively NIN. Sometimes only Elliott Smith will do heh

Some other random people I love are Kings of Convenience, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Metallica, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, John Frusciante, Pink Floyd, Mastodon, Hendrix...

Anyone else love classical music? There's nothing like the notes of a piano to calm me down. Chopin, Bach, Rachmaninoff..

Yeah, music makes me happy.

Hi.....
Music for me.. Everything... I wakeup with music and sleep with music... music is life..

the question is what am i not into????

tribal drum music? no my drum roots secure that in my musical repertoire
folk music? no i love beirut
ganster rap? no i like those beats

i will always hold steady that every band has one song for me. some have more though..

I'm open to most genres, but I especially like Japanese music and 80's-90's music.
I just don't like today's American music, like the gangsta rap and heavy metal. Pretty much most music in America made past 2002 sucks.

I like music by real artist in many different genres. It doesn't matter which style it is, it's what the artist is about and what they intend to convey that matters and what makes music wonderful.

Please listen to this in its entirety. I believe this song to be very powerfull.

[youtube]yogZB5KAwP8[/youtube]

I don't really have a specific genre I like, but I'm also not very open minded with music or I'm just picky. I find myself mostly listening to the same old songs over and over, I like alternative, rock, and music with a lot of instruments.

However I find myself listening to soundtracks most of the time.

PoisonFlowers said:
I approve lol :D

I listen to all sorts of music too. I tend to go through phases of listening to certain swathes of genres/musicians. It depends on my mood as well. Sometimes I'll feel like listening to things like Infected Mushroom or The Prodigy. There was one time where I was only listening to Boards of Canada. There have been a couple of times that it was exclusively NIN. Sometimes only Elliott Smith will do heh

Some other random people I love are Kings of Convenience, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Metallica, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, John Frusciante, Pink Floyd, Mastodon, Hendrix...

Anyone else love classical music? There's nothing like the notes of a piano to calm me down. Chopin, Bach, Rachmaninoff..

Yeah, music makes me happy.

Honestly, NIN is the band that originally got me into my music obsession. My first love of music revolved around the industrial scene, first starting out with NIN, Marilyn Manson, KMFDM, Front Line Assembly, Front 242, White Zombie, Skinny Puppy.

Here is a bit from the movie "space odyssey:2001" and the music during this scene is a classical piece of music. Its soo eerie its awesome!! I hope you like.

[youtube]GPKg2c_bRCs[/youtube]

http://www.last.fm/user/ilikeu_not
that's my last.fm statistics. The username is kinda gay but seriously everything else was taken and i got mad..what else.
so it's a bit messed up cos every now and then my comp crashes and i'm without it for a month or so. Too bad it doesn't show my cellphone stats =/

So what to say..
I love Muse, i used to love Brand New.. I'm into your usual mtv honeysuckle even tho i never watch mtv and i discover my bands online.

hello everyone,

I am hopesclark.I like Music of enrique.My most favourite song of his are

# Do you know
# Addicted
# Hero
# Escape
# Tired of being sorry
# In the End

thank you!!

I'm getting really addicted to british progressive rock

Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, The Reasoning, Panic Room, Touchstone, Magenta. So many great new bands

But Dream Theater is still on top ^^

Lots of great music talked about on here.

Myself, was into lots of classic and progressive rock a few years ago. Never was into that electronic stuff but it's certainly a colorful genre. Been into classical music for the past few years and wonder how I ever survived without it.

underground hip hop. all my hip hop heads put those hands high. if anyone is interested in ughh or just wants to get a little taste of the beautiful sound, feel free to ask. my collection of underground hip hop is respectable.

music is definately an important part of my life, its influenced me to get into creating and producing music.

Well.. (ok, reading it I can't believe anyone would be interested in this detailed an oversight of my musical tastes but I'll leave it in case anyone does, it was fun writing it up :p)

I first got really into music when I was like 14, with stuff like Franz Ferdinand, the Wombats and the Arctic Monkeys and such. Britpop and what could then still be called relatively alternative music. Also the Shins, which has remained one of my most loved bands to date (only 4 years later but wth)
A year later I was listening to a lot of alternative rock and alternative. Pixies, Breeders, White Stripes, Wolfmother (metal), the Eels. Also the Clash and Bowie.
A year later again, it was mostly the big 70' and 80; acts for me: Zappa, Lou Reed, Hendrix, Heart and the Ramones. I also started listening to some heavier music, i.e. Dream Theater and other metal acts.
More recently I've been more into digital music (electronica/IBM). Lusine, Tomas Dvorak (Floex), the Sneaker Pimps, etc. Also liking ska such as Madness and Ian Dury at the moment, and Adam Green.
Sprinkled throughout are a lot of bands that I in the end didn't like enough to permanently keep em in my library and forgot, hehe, and a lot of others I won't mention. I do keep all music I encounter and find really good in my library and regularly listen to it so as not to lose my musical background and personality ;)

A few suggestions :):
- Tomas Dvorsky (!), listen to his album, Pocustone, and the soundtrack for Machinarium he made (converted to full length album) your views on music will change. And I generally listen to music for around 6 hours a day, and before I fall asleep (takes like, two hours for me), so I can tell.
- The Shins!!! Best alternative music around. It's not just indie, it's good! Great vocals and lyrics, great melody, fun timbres and a varied repertoire.
- If you're into music with a bit of an DIY ethics, look into the Breeders. Very personal (what some people might call spiritual or deep) and rough sounding music, but with great structure and understanding of music if you listen closely.
- Last but not least, Frank Zappa. I always feel a little awkward when recommending this, I think everyone should have at least heard of him xD But of course not everyone is as much into music, so.. this is basic stuff if you want to evolve your musical tastes. His albums Hot Rats (fusion jazz) and Over-Nite Sensation are indispensable.

I play (electric) guitar pretty well myself and I'm also looking to get serious with producing digital music. It's just.. all the gear.. it's so expensive AAAARRG xD And it takes a lot of learning, even the basics of Logic Studio took me a month or so. I'm getting to the point where I'll have progressed enough to finally focus on the creative aspect of it though..

I love music. I would even say that it's a central part of my life. I want to become a somewhat talented musician one day. So far I've practiced the electric guitar, the bass and a bit of drums as well. I'm interested in all kinds of instruments though, and if I could I would want to learn how to play them all!

When it comes to listening I tend stick to metal because there's just so much variety to be found there. I mostly listen to death metal (everything from the brutal to the melodical, technical and progressive kind). I like black metal too, although I mostly listen to the Christian version of it (sometimes called "white metal" or "unblack metal").

I also enjoy power metal, industrial metal, groove metal, viking metal and folk metal. Just to mention a few sub-genres, there are certainly many more. :)

Ah, Ravager, you're seeing it wrong ;) There's a lot of variety in metal, but it's still all metal. You know what has variety? Music. Try some other stuff!

yamaha CS5 said:
There's a lot of variety in metal, but it's still all metal. You know what has variety? Music. Try some other stuff!

I find it kinda disrespectful that you would assume that I haven't listened to other stuff as well. Actually, I've gone through periods of listening to:

* electronical music (mostly EBM and aggrotech)
* punk and hardcore
* j-rock (and even some j-pop!)
* indie / alternative rock
* reggae and dancehall

I also enjoy classical music and even some hip-hop (mostly Swedish stuff).

I really don't think I'm "seeing it wrong". If anything I think I'm seeing it very right, having listened to (and been able to appreciate) such diverse music. :)

Latest posts

Back