When did rape become funny?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stumble

Reaction score
I'm posting this in this section because I think maybe it could get heated...I don't know. Perhaps it will get ignored instead.

Firstly this isn't an attack on anyone here or anything. I've just noticed this around the internet and in "real" life in general. Rape just seems to be a term people use so lightly now. Why is this ok? How is it funny? I really don't get it and wish someone could explain.

I really have a hard time explaining myself at the best of times and this kind of thing makes me quite angry and a little sad so I'll leave this here and just see what other people think about this.

I think joking about it is generally in poor taste.

I'm sure the perspective will differ greatly between people. Needless to say, having been raped or knowing people who have been changes how you view things too.

Has jokes of that nature vv (also has Jack Black)

[youtube]wJTYp1tvd3Q[/youtube]

Well, some people who have been raped do turn to humor in order not to dwell on the ugly.

mintymint said:
I'm sure the perspective will differ greatly between people. Needless to say, having been raped or knowing people who have been changes how you view things too.

I'd completely agree with this.

I also think my sense of humour just doesn't run too much into the kind of offensive / controversial side. I much prefer just plain weird, or witty.

nerdygirl said:
Well, some people who have been raped do turn to humor in order not to dwell on the ugly.

I guess I can see this being a valid point but personally I've never come across it.

I don't agree with it being used as a joke at all. It's serious and should be treated as such.

stumble said:
nerdygirl said:
I guess I can see this being a valid point but personally I've never come across it.

Ah. Well, if you're ever looking to change that, converse with me when I'm in an especially brittle mood. I've been told I have a bizarre sense of humor about my past.

nerdygirl said:
stumble said:
nerdygirl said:

Ah. Well, if you're ever looking to change that, converse with me when I'm in an especially brittle mood. I've been told I have a bizarre sense of humor about my past.

Yeah, I've experienced this... I guess they have a right to deal with it however they need to. But I wouldn't take it as permission to go forth with it myself.

I think its one thing for people to use it as a way to cope or a way they can look at their own experiences. I'd never say that was wrong. Though from my own point of view I don't think I could do that or honestly fully understand it.

I think its a whole other ball game when people make crass remarks or joke and belittle.

It kind of makes my blood boil when people liken being robbed to it as well, though thats a whole other story.

Back when I was in training, there was this one guy who I would talk to where I'd say to him. "Hey you know whats funny?" and then he'd go "what? Raaaaape?" (goo) and then we'd both crack up laughing.

...... See, it's funny because it's like, the least funny thing someone could have said in response to that question.... No, really, it makes sense!

nope...not funny.

insensitive and poor taste really.

i can see it being a way to cope with past events.
but i still wouldnt find it funny.

i routinely claim that my job is raping my soul.

is this inappropriate?

cuz it sure feels like it.

blackhole said:
i routinely claim that my job is raping my soul.

is this inappropriate?

cuz it sure feels like it.

I think that one and "I feel as though the Transformers movie raped my childhood" are okay.

I know right? No dinobots yet. I wanted to be Grimlock when I was a kid.

Edit: okay fine, I'd still be a dinobot if I could right now.

I can't add much to this discussion because semantic arguing has always confused me, but it's worth noting that using rape as in "abused harshly" is not considered slang.

Pheenix said:
I can't add much to this discussion because semantic arguing has always confused me, but it's worth noting that using rape as in "abused harshly" is not considered slang.

It's also worth nothing that the original meaning of "rape" was as a synonym for "abduct."

My point? Language changes all the time. I think it won't be long before the meaning of "to abuse harshly" or "assault" is a widely accepted definition for "rape."

To the OP: Generally speaking, rape is not joke-worthy for me. Nerdy's point is a good one about how we each have our own means of coping, but to force some sort of desensitization or what-have-you by having everyone treat it lightly in the hopes of removing its power or sting? Well, that I'd disagree with.

And random douchebags cracking wise about rape? Yeah, nice.

Badjedidude said:
People will always make fun of everything. Get used to it.

Would you say that to your sister or mother?! Honestly I'm speechless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back