When people can't just leave well enough alone...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathedral

Reaction score
The Temple Grandin presentation happened today at my community college. She wasn't there, it was just a bunch of bullshit and a showing of that HBO movie. I had to be in class while it was going on, anyways... But I have to say, I'm very upset by this. If I didn't have to be in class, then I probably would have had a meltdown during the presentation. I almost had one on my way home. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but... it's not about Ms. Grandin herself not being there. I just wish that these ******* fools would leave autism out of this completely. I feel like people are trying to convince me that they care about autism when in fact they don't. It's probably one of the most vile dishonesties I could think of. I feel ******* embarrassed, it's no wonder I don't ever tell anyone else about my autism.

I could just cry right about now, for real. All of these problems in my life and now this. Why can't anyone just leave well enough alone? I just want to be treated as an equal, rather than as some "special" person.

I'm a little confused. You are upset because your community college had some sort of autism awareness presentation today? Or you're upset because someone you know is acting like they care about autism when they actually don't? Or... I don't know. I'm unsure how to respond, because I'm not positive what you are upset about.

It doesn't matter what's wrong with someone. Some people will find any reason at all to treat you like you are "special." You are your own person, remember that. Be who you are and don't worry about what anyone says. Although I know that's hard to do.

Asperger's is difficult to deal with at any age, and most people simply don't understand it at all. If you say you are Autistic, they will tell you you aren't because you can function. If you tell them you have Asperger's, you will most likely have to explain it to them.

I know how you feel about moving too. I wish I could afford to move somewhere that my son could get the help he needs, but it's just not in the cards right now. Autism Awareness Month is in April, which is probably why they put on that presentation. Honestly, I would LOVE to go to a Temple Grandin lecture, but that probably won't happen either.

Don't be embarrassed about who you are. You are you and regardless of what anyone thinks, you have things that other people don't. Be yourself and don't let anyone change you or make you doubt yourself.

Latest posts

Back