Why we're attracted to certain types.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WildernessWildChild said:
EveWasFramed said:
But....but...I still wanna know where Bubba lives. :(

I think Bubba went that way Eve...
photoapr17102645.jpg

Actually, I have done a google search and discovered Bubba's whereabouts! :D
Sadly, he's nowhere nearby. :( lol

Dissident said:
Generally we're genetically programmed to look for people with the most distant DNA. There are problems when the DNA from parents are too close; just look at any backwood southerner. :p

That makes sense. my German blood is simply desiring something totally different to mate with, and I'm not even planning to have kids (because I'm 39 now and getting too old), I grew up on German food which is delicious (but unhealthy and high in cholesterol) now I'm eating Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Filipino and Vietnamese food all the time because I really like it.

I guess I'll just continue to let myself be drawn to whatever I'm attracted to since you can't choose what you're attracted to or who you will fall in love with anyway and at the same time keep an open mind.

Dissident said:
Generally we're genetically programmed to look for people with the most distant DNA. There are problems when the DNA from parents are too close; just look at any backwood southerner. :p

This is so wrong to make it sound like all Southerners are like people from Georgia.

theraab said:
Dissident said:

This is so wrong to make it sound like all Southerners are like people from Georgia.

Miss G. is so going to pound you....

theraab said:
Dissident said:

I'm just trying to stop people from making untrue generalizations - you know, the way all the Canadians make generalizations.

theraab said:
Dissident said:

*sigh*
It's pointless really - he'll just keep doing it.

I thought about this one on and off all afternoon- I don't think I have a specific "type" regarding physical attraction as I like all types but if you're rude, condescending, and choose to be an idiot it doesn't matter what you look like, I quickly lose interest.

I thought about this one on and off all afternoon- I don't think I have a specific "type" regarding physical attraction as I like all types but if you're rude, condescending, and choose to be an idiot it doesn't matter what you look like, I quickly lose interest.

^^ Yes, this.

Dissident said:
Generally we're genetically programmed to look for people with the most distant DNA.

Oaky from now on that will be my justification for being another dodgy white male who finds himself more attracted to Japanese, Korean and Chinese women.

rdor said:
Dissident said:
Generally we're genetically programmed to look for people with the most distant DNA.

Oaky from now on that will be my justification for being another dodgy white male who finds himself more attracted to Japanese, Korean and Chinese women.

And I'm a white female who is attracted to the male versions of those so I agree with your justification. :)

I have a type I think everyone has a type...
hair/looks/face gotta be a certain way...
with regard to disliking the type I go for not at all i'm straight up about what I like I don't care... I am embarrassed by the guy clothes style that turns my head though lol

Well, here is the reason why I'm trying to break the spell. I know there is nothing wrong with me being attracted to Asian guys but from what I've noticed when I look at most single Asian men on dating sites, they want kids. They're very family oriented, it's part of their culture. I'm 39 and getting passed the age to have kids, plus I don't really want to become a parent in my 40s anyway. And most of them prefer younger women for obvious biological reasons. Maybe I'm stereotyping but certain generalizations are generally true. I should have grabbed one of those guys at 25. So unless I can miraculously change what I'm attracted to I'm going to be single forever. Sigh, I guess I'll forget about men and focus on friends, family and cats.

Alonewith2cats said:
Do any of you find yourself strongly attracted to a certain race, ethnicity or physical type and you don't know why? Like you can try to turn away from it, tell yourself not to be so fixated on a particular type, but no matter what you're eyes keep wandering to what you're attracted to. I'm concerned that I'm really going to limit my dating options because of it. In general I tend to not be attracted to guys who are blonde and I think blue eyes are overrated. Probably because I'm blonde with blue eyes so I think those guys look too much like me. I like jet black hair and dark brown eyes. The celebrity I'm most attracted to is Keanu Reeves. He is a quarter chinese and guess what? I'm attacted to Asians! I check them out all the time, on the bus, at work. And lately on the on-line dating sites, although I know I should be checking out a variety of types on there my eyes keep looking at the profiles of Asian guys. They would probably think I'm creepy if they knew. It's not an intentional plan, it just tends to happen. Maybe it's a phase and I'll get over it.

OOOOh YEAA Keanu Reeves. I adore him. I don't think its weird to be attracted to certain types. Why is it creepy if you are attracted to the Asian guys on the website?

AutumgGypsy said:
Alonewith2cats said:
Do any of you find yourself strongly attracted to a certain race, ethnicity or physical type and you don't know why? Like you can try to turn away from it, tell yourself not to be so fixated on a particular type, but no matter what you're eyes keep wandering to what you're attracted to. I'm concerned that I'm really going to limit my dating options because of it. In general I tend to not be attracted to guys who are blonde and I think blue eyes are overrated. Probably because I'm blonde with blue eyes so I think those guys look too much like me. I like jet black hair and dark brown eyes. The celebrity I'm most attracted to is Keanu Reeves. He is a quarter chinese and guess what? I'm attacted to Asians! I check them out all the time, on the bus, at work. And lately on the on-line dating sites, although I know I should be checking out a variety of types on there my eyes keep looking at the profiles of Asian guys. They would probably think I'm creepy if they knew. It's not an intentional plan, it just tends to happen. Maybe it's a phase and I'll get over it.

OOOOh YEAA Keanu Reeves. I adore him. I don't think its weird to be attracted to certain types. Why is it creepy if you are attracted to the Asian guys on the website?

It's not creepy. I just don't know what they think of me checking out their profiles so much. Plus it might limit my dating options to be as fixated as I am because well, number one many don't date outside their race. Of course I'm not interested in those, I'm looking for the ones who do. Second, I'm finding out that it's hard-wired into their culture to have kids and I'm 39 years old and not planning to have kids because of my age.

Maybe I can find one who is divorced and already has kids and doesn't want more or maybe it's not too late for me. Who knows? I just find them so incredibly cute.

Alonewith2cats said:
AutumgGypsy said:
Alonewith2cats said:

It's not creepy. I just don't know what they think of me checking out their profiles so much. Plus it might limit my dating options to be as fixated as I am because well, number one many don't date outside their race. Of course I'm not interested in those, I'm looking for the ones who do. Second, I'm finding out that it's hard-wired into their culture to have kids and I'm 39 years old and not planning to have kids because of my age.

Maybe I can find one who is divorced and already has kids and doesn't want more or maybe it's not too late for me. Who knows? I just find them so incredibly cute.

It's not as uncommon as you think. You will see that Asian/ Caucasian couples are pretty one-sided as most are composed of a Caucasian male and Asian female. However, I am actually among the few that are the other way around. I am an Asian guy engaged to a Caucasian girl. Funny you brought up children because I do want children and she only recently started having doubts. I wouldn't say it's a cultural thing. It's not some sort of Asian thing that I want to pass on my legacy and caress my wife with a child made from the union of our flesh. It brings me great joy to think about the intimacy it brings while I do my very best to support her during the morning sickness and do everything I can to create the nursery and pampering her. Unfortunately it's not what she wants right now.

Anyhow, the way I see it is perhaps try not to put too much effort into finding an Asian guy. If you're like me, you won't find your keys while you're looking for them.

[/quote]
It's not as uncommon as you think. You will see that Asian/ Caucasian couples are pretty one-sided as most are composed of a Caucasian male and Asian female. However, I am actually among the few that are the other way around. I am an Asian guy engaged to a Caucasian girl. Funny you brought up children because I do want children and she only recently started having doubts. I wouldn't say it's a cultural thing. It's not some sort of Asian thing that I want to pass on my legacy and caress my wife with a child made from the union of our flesh. It brings me great joy to think about the intimacy it brings while I do my very best to support her during the morning sickness and do everything I can to create the nursery and pampering her. Unfortunately it's not what she wants right now.
[/quote]

She's very lucky to have you. Good luck to you and your relationship.

I think the media plays a big role in determining what we are attracted to or at least what we think we are suppose to be attracted to. Aside from just regular tv and movies there are adult(x rated)movies, magazines and just social interaction and peer pressure(ie "you like him? Ewwwwww").

I have a pretty wide range of what I am attracted to for females. Unlike most guys I won't not talk to a woman just because she's not my type or not very physically attractive. I might not be interested in her romantically but that doesn't mean I won't talk to her. Besides she might have friends I might like. On the other side of the coin, unlike some guys I won't disregard a woman because she is beautiful or super attractive. I like to be pleasantly surprised sometimes.

[/quote]

She's very lucky to have you. Good luck to you and your relationship.
[/quote]

I wish you could tell her that. I'm lying here in bed right beside her and she doesn't even acknowledge my existence. The first thing I get when I crawled next to her is "don't bother me". It stings. It hurts.

To answer the other poster's comment about media influence. They aren't very friendly towards Asian males. They are usually nerdy emasculated guys that are socially awkward. I have always dated out of my race simply because I was born and raised in Canada with very little in common with Chinese girls from say Hong Kong where my parents are from. My first girlfriend was in high school at the age of 15 and broke up in 1st year. Immediately I met the girl I am sleeping next to right now. I'm 27 now. Don't worry. There are plenty of Asian guys out there that would be more than willing to date outside their race. The problem is trying to get past the "putting the pussy on the pedestal". I often have to fight the urge rondo that myself lol! Whoever that lucky man will be, appreciate everything he does for you. Love him and be there for him. At least those are all the things I ever wanted.

Well, this is a surprise! A cute Chinese guy with an interesting profile just messaged me on match.com. I didn't even have to message him first, I just looked at his profile and he messaged me. Well, I guess I'll just have to check that out. I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon after I posted this thread. MellyVinelli I hope things get better for you and your relationship. That must be awful for you, but you do have youth on your side. If it's not her, someone will appreciate you. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Latest posts

Back