X:Com: Enemy Unknown

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IgnoredOne

Reaction score
Who else has it? Has been playing it? Likes it?

Here are my thoughts, having played it for approximately 20+ hours straight on Ironman over the weekend.

• Incredibly addicting in a way that only xcom and civilization manages to be for me. I can't think of many games where I start in the afternoon and just watch my entire weekend disappear - EVEN WHEN LOSING. It manages the Dwarf Fortress appeal of its fun to lose, although it should be a little bit more sadistic to the player about it.
  • Ironman is a great mode. I've played the older XCOMs rather religiously back in the day, and the sense of difficulty is highly addictive. It might be perhaps a bit too unfair, though, as the game is designed for save scumming and it penalizes you consistently for not being able to read the future in so many ways.
  • Feels like it was a little rushed for style instead of substance, but I'm not really feeling like it is 'too simple' like what I hear from some other fans. It lacks the numbers overkill of the old xcoms and gives reliable overwatch, which in some ways actually makes the game more organized and strategic. On my sixth playthrough of the game, for example, I'm finding that I have been able to get through missions without losing anyone(or even taking a shot!) - so its evidently a large part of just learning the game.
  • That said, it feels like it could do for a lot more expansion.

Finding it quite tough initially, having trouble getting satellites up and a few countries have dropped funding already so I’m strapped for cash. The missions are great though and the whole game has a Gerry Anderson vibe that I’m loving, I think I’ll restart and plan things carefully instead of rushing head in for the big guns!

Hehe, there's a new game with the same name? :)

Definitely on my list for when I have time, if it's anything like it's namesake, it will be an instant classic.

perfanoff said:
Hehe, there's a new game with the same name? :)

Definitely on my list for when I have time, if it's anything like it's namesake, it will be an instant classic.

Its almost identical to the classic - perhaps a bit too much so. It has basically no original elements and just simplifies the game, too much so, perhaps.

Basically, you now have an move and an action phase for each guy, no time units. Short of unique abilities, its no longer possible to kit out unique random combinations like a flying gunslinger with a sword like you could get away with in X-com2. Kinda sad.

I just played the tutorial. Oh wow, it's pretty embarrassing that they managed to dumb down a 20 year old game.

I guess that's the price of having video games go mainstream, or something.

Latest posts

Back