FaceBook?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir Putin

Reaction score
I registerd here a long time ago. But everyone here said that they had in real life friends. And I thought that maybe you guys just felt lonely. I had/have no friends and thought I was at the wrong forum.

But an issue has come up, FaceBook. Everywhere I turn people are speaking of it. And I don't think it will be a one season thing. I think it's here to stay like the Internet/Cell Phone. You can say that you don't have time to have FB today, but next year it might sound like I have no time to get a cell phone.

I'm scared that employers will demand to see it and see who your friends are. But I have no friends to add.
How will I manage in the future?

I know a lot of people who don't have facebook. =] It's just a social networking site, so I don't see why employers would regard it as something that you have to have. People have said that Universities and employers might check potential candidates' profile pages to see what they're like if they don't know whether or not to accept them, but that's just something convenient that they can spy on, for lack of better words.

If employers start hiring based on who is the most popular person on facebook, and whether candidate A is clearly better for the job because candidate B has fewer friends, then... Well, quite frankly, pigs will be able to fly. ;]

And y'know, even if you do get facebook and you only start out with one friend, you'll probably end up discovering old friends you had forgot about and then you'll get in touch and... It might start something awesome. =] That happened to me, actually. I added one of my old, old best friends who I hadn't spoken to in about.. 4 years? Because of facebook, we started talking more regularly and then decided to meet up every now and then, and now we're best friends again.
And heck, if you really have absolutely no friends to add, I'm here to add if you get desperate. ;P

What Belleza said I agree with. That really all was sound stuff.

Also you can make it so only friends are allowed to look you up and even make it so your FB profile don't show in any search that someone might do.

Also you can hide your friends on there. To friends and everyone else so no one can see what friends you have or even if you have no friends.
You can not currently hide the friends in common thing though. But I guss if you don't have any friends then that's not going to be a problem.

Like Belleza said if you look you might also find old school palls. Its easy to search for your year of school on there as well.
I did that and about double the friends I had on there by doing that. I don't really talk to any of them as there all marred and working and got kids act act act. But ppl on FB really just add anyone.

It's just another social internet network. Don't be tripp'in on it.
I use it to keep in touch of contact with some poeple I love or some friends I'v met on the way in this life.

If anything, Facebook is used to screen out potential employees, that, or be a justification for someone having their ass fired.
What is on Facebook?
For our age group of 20-year olds?
Whorish partying pictures and shots of drunken nights.
People staring into the camera at awkward angles and snapping hundreds upon hundreds of pictures of themselves.
I have heard of people losing their jobs over it due to status updates (about how their job sucks or of sexual nature etc.), or even inappropriate photos have done them in.
No company - a professional one and not say, a cheap strip club for example - would want to present their employees as a bunch of clubbing-addicts.
Career-wise, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for one's social-life; it is simply a popularity contest on the most numbers.
I re-opened my account to share my travelling photos with my family and online friends.
Deleted all of my co-workers who ignored me in real life, but wanted me on their Facebook.

Facebook is what you decide to make it to be.
Now, I do appreciate it to some degree due to how easy it is to arrange my travelling photos and it's a way for me to upload shitloads of photos and share them with people that I care about. :)
Use it to your advantage if you can find one.

Vladimir Putin said:
I registerd here a long time ago. But everyone here said that they had in real life friends. And I thought that maybe you guys just felt lonely. I had/have no friends and thought I was at the wrong forum.

You know, just because a person has one or two friends in the world, it doesn't make them less lonely. You can be surrounded by friends and family and still be the extremely lonesome.

nerdygirl said:
Vladimir Putin said:

You know, just because a person has one or two friends in the world, it doesn't make them less lonely. You can be surrounded by friends and family and still be the extremely lonesome.

It's true. I've had guys liking me in my high school and i'm always constantly surrounded by people when I was there. But the loneliness is really much more excruciating than presently where I am now, with nobody around me or a social life.

I still feel lonely but not as much during my high school and childhood days.

Part of me is ashamed by the way my life has turned out. Maybe that's why I've never been to FaceBook. Maybe I don't want to tell my stories of young adulthood becuase I don't like my stories. And while I hate feeling this way, I can become extremely envious by my imagination of their good to ******* great lives in comparison to the levels of misery I've descended to. I hope they're doing good but I do not want them to see me doing bad. I do not want to inform or even give hints to the fact that I am quite an unhappy person despite the bright outlook they would remember me having from the last time we interacted.

Anyways, I did the whole 'looking for friends' in facebook. Well, I got one girl asking me out.

Then there's a whole load of failure behind me too. But then again, they don't know me enough in real life anyways. I've always kept to myself.

I am completely neutral about Facebook. I have an account, and do check it once in a while. It has its uses, and its annoyances. Strange that people are so love/hate about it.

I'm not on Facebook, and I'm quite glad I'm not. It doesn't really interest me, to be honest. I spend enough time on the computer every day as it is.

I don't have many really good friends, and I meet up fairly regularly with the few friends I do have. I don't really see the point of posting endless updates about myself online. Quite apart from the potential privacy issues, I'd much rather meet up with a friend in person and "update" them face-to-face.

None of my friends are local, so updating face-to-face would involve passports and 20 hour plane rides. We do the major updates over emails or instant messages, but facebook is good for the minor things like "Taking the cat to the vet today" or posting random quotes or song lyrics, which can be fun. Also easier to share photos with everyone at the same time rather than email one by one.

tehdreamer said:
None of my friends are local, so updating face-to-face would involve passports and 20 hour plane rides. We do the major updates over emails or instant messages, but facebook is good for the minor things like "Taking the cat to the vet today" or posting random quotes or song lyrics, which can be fun. Also easier to share photos with everyone at the same time rather than email one by one.

Yeah, facebook is just for fun and stuff like that ^o^
it shouldn't be taken too seriously. :)!!

Latest posts

Back