The Evil That is Facebook

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJR

Reaction score
So I deleted my facebook account, for a variety of reasons most importantly that it has a depressing effect on my mood. The site tries its best to bring people together and for some it works, why doesnt it work for me? Is it cause I dont play farmville or any of those type of games? I dunno, I just saw that while yes I was able to reconncect with a handfull of people that is where it ended, a short hey how ya doin blah blah before it was back to obscurity. Messages unreturned, posts unreplied.

So my question to the world is this, was I not using Facebook in a way that would promote success or is Facebook just that dang Evil?

I no longer use facebook.

Got bored of reading other's comments, which focused mainly on them talking about themselves.

Poguesy does not care nor give a honeysuckle about what other people are doing :p

Poguesy said:
I no longer use facebook.

Got bored of reading other's comments, which focused mainly on them talking about themselves.

Poguesy does not care nor give a honeysuckle about what other people are doing :p

Poguesy is one of the few names I've heard where you can refer to yourself in the third person and it always sounds right.

Never bothered with FaceBook, I prefer not to hear from many in my past. I suspect many of my responses would be less than polite.

Just keep mine open for family members to contact me.
Im far from being interactive in it.
Chit chat with friends at first...but
i dont anymore.
Still get the news feed of people posting
Whatever. I dont get caught up in it.
Ill observe it.
It dosnt bother me.

Messaging people you've just reconnected with might be perceived as weird. Contribute some comments and likes before you get more "intimate" with them. However, most people on Facebook just want the comments and likes. Facebook is rather "evil" in that it generates narcissism, but it's also good because it helps inform people and inspire political change.

I hate Facebook and think it's a joke more than anything, and is also one of the reasons why we're much less social of a species.

With that said, I'm forced to use Facebook for a variety of reasons.

Facebook has the ability to be incredibly depressing. Have a look through all the people you used to go to school with and you will see them with their kids, long term partners, pictures of them doing interesting honeysuckle or fun hollidays.

Then look at your own facebook, realise you have done nothing in the 8 years since you left school and vow to never look through peoples photos again.

Lonely in BC said:
Poguesy is one of the few names I've heard where you can refer to yourself in the third person and it always sounds right.

That's 'cause Poguesy is a special boy.....in the head :p

AJR said:
So my question to the world is this, was I not using Facebook in a way that would promote success or is Facebook just that dang Evil?

I don't know that those are the only two options but i sure never found any use for it.

Aside from the real possibility of 0 Friends, I fear handling it successfully because I find Facebook a social mystery. A landmine of social dilemmas and fears. I would hate (or maybe fear) making social interaction decisions on such a scale as Facebook.
mug

3 things you should know about Facebook

It's no easier to make friends on Facebook than it is to make them in real life.

If your not popular in real life it's not going to be much different on Facebook.

Being somebody's friend on Facebook means nothing, a lot of people just add people they've met in their life to expand their friendslist and look more popular.

To answer your question Facebook either works for you or it doesn't, it's as simple as that and you can play as much Farmville as you wan't but it won't change anything :p. Either way Facebook is Dang evil.

You know... there are a lot of people that would say this site is stupid too.
Everything has it's purpose to someone. I've never used Facebook but for people with a lot of friends, people who want to get back in touch with people they used to know, or people that have a personal business; it's a great site.

Ah good ol' Facebook. You'll never find so many attention whores and drama queens in one spot. I started to minimize my visits to the site a long time ago.

blackdot said:
Everything has it's purpose to someone. I've never used Facebook but for people with a lot of friends, people who want to get back in touch with people they used to know, or people that have a personal business; it's a great site.

I agree.
I'm not a Facebook user but I can see the appeal. Different strokes for different folks!

For people with friends and don't have any social anxiety, Facebook is ideal.

I agree, it depends on your current "social" situation.

I've stopped even going to my Facebunk page. There was just nothing in it for me at all, and all those "friends" on there never seemed to have any interest in interacting with me after friending me on there. Why they wanted to be my "friend" on Facebunk is a mystery to me, and so is the definition of "friend" when it comes to that site.

Everyone on facebook becomes a phoney, a fake. They aren't honest on there. People create this idealistic online persona, which isn't even remotely close to what they are as a person. Pretensions, boasting, complete tosh.

It's quite amusing at times, but it's baffling how some idiots present themselves on facebook. The crap some people post is mind-boggingly absurd and completely aloof. They just sound like twats.

I have a few important friendships with which I keep in touch with via Facebook. But recently Facebook has changed their normal layout to something they call a Timeline, this allows anyone, and I mean ANYONE, to look at your life, since the moment you joined facebook, and see all the important events that happened to you. New relationships, new jobs, new friendships, little accomplishments, yes, but also breakups, job losses, parties where you were on all four eating the carpet, tags of you in underwear, etc. If someone wants to hire you, all they have to do is check that, and depending how uncareful you've been about what you shared there, it might make or break you. I read an article this week about a teacher getting fired for being seen with a beer in her hand on ONE facebook picture.

If Facebook ever forces their members to use that Timeline crap, I'm out, and will find another way to keep in touch with the few important people I got there. No one needs to see in a blink how many years I've cried my ex or how many times I was brought to feel like a total failure artistically, and said it. Not something a potential boss or customer wants to see.

blackdot said:

+1

This isn't a new thread on here. I use it to keep in touch with old friends and family who I choose to keep in touch with. I only add who I want to add. It's been great for that. Thankfully there are only a few people who use it as an emotional outlet for their daily lives. Most of my friends rarely update. Yeah some have pictures of their kids, or wish their S.O a happy birthday/anniversary and gush but they are ALLOWED to do that. Just because we think they have it so much better isn't any reason for us to think it is evil. We allow it to be that way.

Latest posts

Back