Social Confrontation avoided, yet regretted.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wessik

Reaction score
I decided not to confront two chavs blocking the steps from the mess hall. I gladly took the roundabout path, but I wonder if I should have told them off...

Just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should. Save it for a time when it is really necessary to tell someone off, or get into a fight. Which by saying that you will have to decide when it is important to do so. I would say the fact that you went the roundabout way this time means it wasn't important enough for you to do something. Don't regret it, we all have our fight (or our day), just make sure when you do, that it counts.

Just walk on through them. Living in fear is stupid, picking fights is stupid, say "I need to get past" and walk on past.

Had to look up what a "chav" was.

I agree with Bulma, just walk past them. You don't have to actually say anything directly to them, except for maybe "excuse me". It's the little things that bring greater victory, you don't always have to get up in someones face.

Maybe they would have said sorry and let you through, you never know. :)

What was it about their behaviour that you found threatening?

I'm not keen on the phrase Chav personally, its just a phrase to typecast poorer kids by richer kids into some sort of subspecies, often based on no more than the clothes they wear or their accent. That said I've no doubt used it when a group of kids have pissed me off so I'm not trying to come across all 'holier than though', it shouldn't be used really though, in reflection. It's just another name to categorize those less educated or well off as "working class scum".

Ehhh... you know that feeling when you're facing a rotweiler trying to deliver the paper, and the dog is like, "Hey! Why don't you come over here? I DARE you."?

It was the look they gave me. A kind of smug, satisfaction, like, "hey, thug. You ain't down. What of it?" Sort of thing.

I don't know about you guys, but I've been in a few scraps before. There are fights where you just wanna prove you've got bigger huevos than the other guy, and then there are fights where you are threatened and just want to fight back. And then...there are fights where you know you could break the glass jaw off a couple of disdainful punks, and you want to, just so you can teach them a lesson.

I guess it was all well then, that I did not confront them. Thank you, everybody.

Aren't you in Texas? By definition, there are no neds or chavs in Texas, I would say.

A little respect goes a long way. "Good evening guys, may I pass through?" usually works wonders, even with those who might be less inclined to be kind towards strangers.

Latest posts

Back