Crushes !

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

ucxb

(warning – this is a long reference)

Crushes, a difference between lust and love? OR is there more to it?

I have had such intense feelings about another that I felt powerless in their presence, felt like a child, considered it some sort of crush but just ultimately felt so confused about the nature of my feelings and my behavior that I needed help with perspective. So, I recently read about six different types of crushes: Friendly, Passing, Admiration, Misplaced, Danger, and Falling in Love

Friendly Crush:
This type of crush might cause certain people to become concerned about the nature of their feelings. Admiration and a longing to be in the company of one particular person might have some people concerned that their feelings are of a romantic nature. While only you can be certain of the type of feeling that is developing for another person, it is also important to understand that not all strong feelings are romantic.

Friendship is a truly special type of relationship that can plant very deep seeded feelings between two people that may surpass many other types of relationships, even those of a romantic nature. Allowing yourself to trust in the closeness that you share with a friend is a wonderful thing and you shouldn't allow yourself to become too concerned just because these feelings are strong in nature.

It is also important to keep in mind that though the word crush might feel like an accurate description in some ways, this does not mean that romance is involved. Simply understanding the differences between love and lust and why one is often present in this situation while the other is absent may help dissolve any concerns you may have about your feelings.

Passing Crush:
Though in some cases a crush may present some signs of attraction, it is important to remember that not all crushes need be alarming ones. Those who are unable to pursue a romantic relationship needn't worry too badly about the type of crush that may have them thinking about someone else, but often dissolves in time. Many people experience crushes of this nature throughout their relationship, especially if the focus of their feelings is a person who seems new and exciting. In many cases the feelings subside in a short time and take with them that concern of making am mistake.

Admiration Crush:
When one person idolizes another there may be moments when they begin to feel very intensely about that person. These feelings can be mistaken for romance simply because they are so intense. The most common situations where such crushes develop are when one person has a great deal of respect to learn from the person they are focuses on and because if this may feel slightly awed by their presence.

Those who have serious dating questions about this type of crush may want to allow some time to pass before making a move. In many cases, once enough information is taken in so that the person feels that they can stand on equal ground with their crush with subject matter the crush dissolves. For this reason it is important to watch your step in any relationship where you feel too intimidated by the object of your affection as it may lead to their being able to take advantage.

Misplaced Crush:
When people are experiencing a time of life that is less than satisfying they are more likely to look outside their daily lives for some relief. When experiencing this type of crush, the target is likely to be a person who you may see often, but do not know or even speak with. A co-worker in another department, a clerk at a store that you frequent or even a friend of a friend that you do not know very well are common choices for this feeling.

The misplaced crush often means that you are in need of a change in your life and for one reason or another are unable to move forward. It is common for those with these types of feelings to create fictitious personalities for the person that they admire, fitting their ideal romance into a stranger.

While there is often no way to know whether or not the person in question might be a welcome addition to your romantic life, it is important to address the deeper issues that are often the cause of such behavior before you can truly pursue some successful matchmaking.

Danger Crush:
Developing a crush on a person that you are nearly certain would be all wrong for you can again be a big warning sign that something else is wrong in your life. These types of crushes can mean anything from the possibility that you're looking for change, to the tendency to look for self-destructive people who will damage your life. In either case it is often wise to take a step back from this type of crush and determine why it may have developed in the first place.

Falling In Love Crush:
When a person first begins to feel that tug on their heart strings, it may start out as simply as a crush. Following the love advice that your instincts provide and any sensible plans that you believe best fit your life will often help you in the right direction. An important step to avoid might be not to allow yourself to become too obsessive, whether or not your feelings are returned, as this tends to pull your feelings out of proportion.

From friendship to admiration, dangerous to perfectly matched, people experience the intensity of different types of crushes every day all over the world. Understanding how and why you feel the way that you do will allow you to continue on a path that best fits your needs and avoid making any mistakes. Once you have determined the nature of your feelings you may find that it becomes easier to allow them to flow freely without the bothersome confusion that so often follows that slippery label: crush.

I think a "crush" is more of a lower-tier emotional response to attraction. The higher emotions: Love, Empathy, Commitment don't cause such a physical experience. They tend to cause a more spiritual experience. Something you feel between your heart and mind, in your soul. Whereas a crush tends to give you that butterflies in the stomach sensation. It's really more of wanting to smell, touch, kiss, grab, squeeze, and get-naked-and-do-naught-yet-amazing-things-to sort of experience. That's animalistic, not really love.

My own personal theory is that I believe in using LOVE to reach those same LUSTS with your partner. Most people don't have the attention span, spiritual maturity, or commitment to accomplish this though. Most people just get bored with their partner and stop trying, then they take the easy way out which is an affair.

It's easier to get "butterflies" over a new and random piece of ass than it is to create those butterflies through exploring the depths of your love for one another. Another common failing of mankind.

bodafuko said:
I think a "crush" is more of a lower-tier emotional response to attraction. The higher emotions: Love, Empathy, Commitment don't cause such a physical experience.

Emotions are measurable indeed, responses can vary from one's experience and culture (among other various factors), and had felt said butterflies I considered it time for emotional health check. Understanding a crush is beneficial if one is experiencing it for the first time or has been forgotten.

bodafuko said:
Most people don't have the attention span, spiritual maturity, or commitment to accomplish this though. Most people just get bored with their partner and stop trying, then they take the easy way out which is an affair.

This happened to me two years ago. I don't want to victimize myself but I have little trust that it is possible to love unconditionally again.
Thanks for sharing bodafuko, I like how you think and your awareness is commendable

my last crush was 2 years ago. It was probably love though. As always I felt miserable. We are still 'friends' and she contacts me to meet up. I did tell her how I felt. It hasn't put her off for some reason. I have no feelings for her at all now. She's engaged to some bloke. Once that happened my feelings went overnight. I think before that, I always thought (however slim) I might have a chance with her.

When I was in my late teens or twenties I would get crushes on women who ignored me or treated me poorly. God knows why ?

Crushes are superficial and easier to get over.

In contrast, my last "love" crushed me, but a crush never had that power.

mountainvista said:

I agree, my crush was "misplaced" and thankful it was short. Since I feel a bit broken and out of touch with people I have been keeping myself lonely to a certain degree to not have to deal with these emotions that I have not felt in quite some time.

ucxb said:
mountainvista said:

I agree, my crush was "misplaced" and thankful it was short. Since I feel a bit broken and out of touch with people I have been keeping myself lonely to a certain degree to not have to deal with these emotions that I have not felt in quite some time.

Yep, as a defense mechanism, it makes sense. :/

Latest posts

Back